September 04

August 04

July 04

June 04

May 04

April 04

March 04

February 04

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous Classic Material From the Forum's Crates

The Perfect CD for a Hip-Hop Virgin

Recommend Me Some Classic... Hip-Hop! (focusing on Golden Era late 80s/early 90s classics)

Recommend Me Some Modern... Hip-Hop! (mid 90s til the modern era)

Common - Like Water For Chocolate... and 'conscious' hip-hop (recommending jazzier, smoother, socio-political stuff rather than gangsta/street LPs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links

www.rapandsoulmailorder.com

www.juno.co.uk

www.piccadillyrecords.com

www.turntablelab.com

www.hiphopsite.com

www.ukhh.com

www.skratch-alienz.com

www.sandboxautomatic.com

www.thegiantpeach.com

www.hiphop-blogs.com/hiphop/

www.digitalgravel.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Radio Shows

Hiphopphilosophy.com 24/7 hip hop radio

WeFunk Radio

UGGH Radio

Recommended Internet TV shows

The Breakdown (Yo Mtv Raps mix of interviews and videos)

BBC1's - The History Of Hip Hop

Classic Hip hop videos

Rhymesandbeats.com

Old Skool video blog

Podcasts and blogs

Strawp's Props

Venemous Villain Blog

Strictly Beats Instrumentals blog

Hype Machine

Wake Your Daughter Up

Fat Lace Magazine

A Side podcast

Shad - The Old Prince Still Live at Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8SDiPPjoc

Shad - Brother (watching). Note how every line rhymes with the first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDQ49tLg5w0

Shad - I Don't Really Like To

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9e98UE5dhY

Any more like those? real hip-hop?

Also, tanku.

He's good, i've never heard of Shad before. Sounds a bit like People Under The Stairs.

Or maybe The Sound Providers?

That is a quality beat, and yeah, wtf is up with the accent :/

He's always had a twang, to be fair. I actually always thought he'd sound better as an emcee if he was a yank!

I can see where you're coming from with the comparison, but it doesn't really have any of the invention or otherness that Outkast would bring to it - there's just an overwhelming emptiness to it all. What's going on with his flow too? Really odd. I just get frustrated with Eminem as an MC as he's clearly got the skills but just insists on constantly slumming it on lowest common denominator stuff.

Anyway, here's some straight fire to clear the palate:

Flying Lotus ft. Blu - GNG BNG Remix

Turn it up loud.

Shad - The Old Prince Still Live at Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8SDiPPjoc

Shad - Brother (watching). Note how every line rhymes with the first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDQ49tLg5w0

Shad - I Don't Really Like To

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9e98UE5dhY

I like. Love the sax in the first track :D He's got some good skills, his beats are quality and I to have never heard of him. Might have to check his album out.

:0

Awesome. FlyLo needs to do an album with an emcee.

Definitely, his beats work superbly alongside a rapper. Mr Lif has done a FlyLo freestyle on his new mixtape which is tight:

Mr Lif - FlyLo Freestyle

The mixtape is worth checking out; couple of freestyles, new material and classic stuff:

Mr Lif - I Heard It Today Megamix

01 Intro

02 Glimpse At the Struggle

03 Pull Out Your Cut

04 360 Degrees

05 Brothaz

06 Avengers

07 Wreck Dem

08 Status

09 Live From the Plantation

10 Lifeline Freestyle

11 Ol’ Crew

12 Earth Crusher

13 FlyLo Freestyle

14 Heavy Artillery

15 Washitup

16 The Now

17 Again Freestyle

18 I Heard It Today LP Interlude

19 I Heard It Today

20 What About Us

21 Welcome to the World

22 Dawn

23 Hatred

24 Gun Fight f. Metro

25 Folklore

26 Breathe

27 Head High

28 Collapse the Walls

29 The Sun

30 Arise Interlude

31 Boston

32 New Man Theme

33 The Fat Shit

34 Savage Outro

Definitely check the Edan-produced Collapse the Walls; it's got similar psych-rock freakout production to Beauty & the Beat.

He's like the new Bloodhound Gang or something. Total pop music, that's inexplicably being marketed towards serious hip-hop fans (he's being cosigned by respected artists and stuff, etc). But, yeah... it's not realy hip-hop at all really. This track review on Pitchfork sums him up nicely I think:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/11149-...-on-my-go-kart/

I really don't understand why they're trying to push him at hardcore hip-hop fans when he's basically disposable rubbish. On a disposable rubbish type novelty level, it's silly and enjoyable, but he's a 2nd hand bargain basket artist of the future.

Thanks, it was a piece in The Guardian I'd read, calling him the new Eminem, going on about Jay Z, Mobb Deep and the like. I did get a bit suspicious when I read that his new single is called I Love College. Sounds like he's straight out of High School Musical or Camp Rock.

I'll give him a miss. I was hoping you were all going to be like, yeah he's the new Edan, oh well.

Yeah, it's amazing to see him being hyped by people who should know better. The marketing push has been insane, but completely misguided I think. It's not even just the "mainstream" rap media that's been creating the buzz. They were even debating his credentials on the subversive Fatlace blog.

"SOUTH PARK MURDERED ME LAST NIGHT AND IT'S PRETTY FUNNY. IT HURTS MY FEELINGS BUT WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM SOUTH PARK! I ACTUALLY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MY EGO THOUGH. HAVING THE CRAZY EGO IS PLAYED OUT AT THIS POINT IN MY LIFE AND CAREER. I USE TO USE IT TO BUILD UP MY ESTEEM WHEN NOBODY BELIEVED IN ME. NOW THAT PEOPLE DO BELIEVE AND SUPPORT MY MUSIC AND PRODUCTS THE BEST RESPONSE IS THANK YOU INSTEAD OF "I TOLD YOU SO!!!" IT'S COOL TO TALK SHIT WHEN YOU'RE RAPPING BUT NOT IN REAL LIFE. WHEN YOU MEET LITTLE WAYNE IN PERSON HE'S THE NICEST GUY FOR EXAMPLE. I JUST WANNA BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM. I NEED TO JUST GET PAST MYSELF. DROP THE BRAVADO AND JUST MAKE DOPE PRODUCT. EVERYTHING IS NOT THAT SERIOUS. AS LONG AS PEOPLE THINK I ACT LIKE A BITCH THIS TYPE OF SHIT WILL HAPPEN TO ME. I GOT A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF ME TO MAKE PEOPLE BELIEVE I'M NOT ACTUALLY A HUGE DOUCHE BUT I'M UP FOR THE CHALLENGE. I'M SURE THE WRITERS AT SOUTH PARK ARE REALLY NICE PEOPLE IN REAL LIFE. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO DRAW MY CREW. THAT WAS PRETTY FUNNY ALSO!! I'M SURE THERE'S GRAMMATICAL ERRORS IN THIS... THAT'S HOW YOU KNOW IT'S ME!"

http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blog/?em3...81=&em3161=