rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Hexx

Castle

I'm still watching it. It's extremely formulaic but as long as half of that formula is as watchable as Fillion I'm still in.

• Upvote 1

Yeah. I'm still watching it too, but more out of habit and love of Nathan Fillion than actual enjoyment. I found last season to be largely awful.

Most of the time the murderer is the seemingly innocent person they interview at the start and then forget about. But I do still enjoy it, mostly for Fillion as others have said.

I still watch it, though it's one of those shows that I tend to have on in the background. It still surprises me with the odd great episode each season.

I still watch it, though it's one of those shows that I tend to have on in the background. It still surprises me with the odd great episode each season.

That's pretty much what it has become for me now - background material. I'll stick with it for a bit on that basis then and see how S5 goes.

Most of the time the murderer is the seemingly innocent person they interview at the start and then forget about. But I do still enjoy it, mostly for Fillion as others have said.

Most of the time it's the seemingly minor character, played by an actor/actress that we recognise from other TV shows :)

• Upvote 1

I'm a couple of seasons back but I always find my interest in it dies as soon as they do a conspiracy episode about the death of Beckett's mother. They are usually the worst episodes of the season kill any momentum the show has for me.

This has been canceled,next week's episode is going to be the series finale.

Thankfully they filmed an alternative ending in case this happens, so the audience should get proper closure.

(and I am fucking relieved, because keeping this show alive without Katic would've been ridiculous)

• Upvote 1

I gave up on it after the Ryan and Esposito go to college episode so I missed the genie episode and the one where the guy couldn't die.

I gave up this last season. It became so awful that the usual Fillion charm couldn't keep me interested.

Still watching it as it's one that I can sit down to without having to switch my brain on. The only reason that the cancellation is a surprise to me is that they had Fillion and the guys who play the two detectives on one year deals already. It had already been announced that Stana Katic that played Beckett was leaving, and the coroner.

Think it's probably for the best though. There have been some funny moments, but it sadly feels like it played itself out a long time ago.

2 hours ago, Butters said:

It had already been announced that Stana Katic that played Beckett was leaving, and the coroner.

They didn't leave, they were told they wouldn't be asked back if it continued..

There was actually a fan campaign to get it cancelled rather than kill Beckett off - which would have left the series on a pretty sour note if you'd had just a half season post-death which seemed to be on the cards until today..

Exactly, which is why for once I am incredibly relieved one of my shows got canceled. And Castle has definitely run its course now. Looking forward to whatever Fillion does next, but it was nice having him on the screen in a regular role. I think after next week it's finally time for another Firefly rewatch. :)

10 hours ago, Illyria said:

This has been canceled,next week's episode is going to be the series finale.

Thankfully they filmed an alternative ending in case this happens, so the audience should get proper closure.

(and I am fucking relieved, because keeping this show alive without Katic would've been ridiculous)

Ha, excellent news.

This current season has been awful, and the previous one wasn't much better.

Much better that it be put out of its misery, than try to string it along without Katic.

• Upvote 1

Castle in the early years was good fun but I gave up when they got married and even then I was struggling.  Nothing against the show or the cast but it is just difficult to keep a procedural show interesting as the years go on.  They'd dealt with the mythology years ago, the relationship was completed and there was nothing left to achieve.  If they were going to do a reboot then they should have kept the with the FBI focus they introduced for a couple of episodes a few years ago. 

Continuing it for half a season with Beckett didn't sound like a good plan at all although I would have actually watched the first couple of episodes out of sheer morbid curiosity. 

• Upvote 1

I think it should have ended when Castle was run of the road on the way to his wedding. Leaving it open ended and finishing there would have been far more satisfying than the confusing explanation they spent half a season on.

That whole missing time mystery was terrible, but the current season has been even worse :-(

Kate's latest crappy story arc with "LockSat" (?), the BS separation, all of it...

Oh. And this season also gave us... The Geordie.

:lol:

I do love Ryan and Esposito though. I think I'll have to do a rewatch of the early seasons as well as the Firefly rewatch, I'll miss these guys. 

I'll miss Lanie and Alexis the most.  :(

I won't miss Espo's 'Yo' every time he opens his mouth, though.  Still, the show has gone right off the boil with the abandoned 'Missing Castle' plot-line and an almost non-existent 'Locksat' plotline.  Good time to wrap it up.

Haha yeah I won't miss the Yo XD 

I used to love Alexis but in the later seasons she became a bit annoying, and I was never a Hayley fan so I am really glad the show isn't going forward as she probably would've been Beckett's replacement. 

Loved Lanie too though.

I agree on the overarching plots, they've become ridiculous. Some one off episode were still quite enjoyable but yeah, it's time to wrap things up for good. 

23 hours ago, MDY said:

They didn't leave, they were told they wouldn't be asked back if it continued..

There was actually a fan campaign to get it cancelled rather than kill Beckett off - which would have left the series on a pretty sour note if you'd had just a half season post-death which seemed to be on the cards until today..

Yeah, the point was more that they weren't coming back. Whether by their own choice or not, they were leaving.

They've apparently filmed two endings. The first was if they got a new season, the second to tie it all up. 

No one really knows. There are rumours that she and Fillion didn't get along, and I think Deadline reported it was for budgetary reasons.

A lot if the fans seen to be blaming him.. Either for getting her fired (which seems to go contrary to general opinion of him from others he's worked with in the past..) or for not quitting when she wasn't asked back..

Which ignores the fact that if he'd quit, the whole cast and crew are automatically out of work.. Its apparently one of the reason the leads on Supernatural haven't moved on.. After a decade, it's like their extended family..

Well.. that was a terrible, slapped together mess of an ending...

• Upvote 2

I finally ditched this back in... February, I think. I wish I hadn't even bothered with any of this season. Hell, or the last one.

I was tempted to skip straight to the series finale, just to say goodbye, but... fuck it. I've only seen negative things about it.

Yeah those last 30 seconds they shot just in case the show would end were ridiculous. 

Yeah the "alternate" ending was extremely ridiculously jarring.

I did actually like the ending, but then I'm a soppy old fool that likes happy endings (although fuck having three more kids...).  The rest of the episode was a rushed pile of shit though, aye.

Good bye Lanie, good bye Alexis...  T_T,,

I don't mind a happy ending at all, but then I wish they'd just cut the scene in the kitchen instead of tugging on that rushed compilation, you know?