Modern Warfare 2

letsbook

Not to sound obnoxious but I came here to post that FFA is still easy mode. Just had a few hours straight on it and and the standard is not very good at all. Dropped a nuke with my Cold Blooded silenced UMP/Stinger class and didn't die more than five times in any of the dozen+ matches. I've only come off because my internet connection dropped.

I probably won't be on late tonight as I've got study day tomorrow. <<

:lol: You find every mode easy mode it seems. Lobbies vary of course but I never have to wait long to get some intense competition in FFA. Is it the school Easter holidays or something and you're coming up against them, I dunno.

Phil, I guess it's just what you get used to. I've worked out a few strategies for each map that work pretty well and haven't really stopped playing since release except for a brief spell with CrapOps.

I tell you what I miss most about TDM, apart from the chat of course, and that's Derail. Love that map. Don't know why they left it out of FFA. I love big maps and it's no bigger than Fuel which is just perfection in FFA. (Except, no, they haven't patched the rock glitch yet, Phil).

No update for me on 360. Just been cracking skulls in FFA for a couple of hours. Notable game-winning killcams included a pair of boosters getting RPGed straight up in the air and a double 360/double kill. Feels good man.

True. If you have two guys with scavenger and claymores equipped they can hold both stairwells fairly comfortably.

True, but if theres a team holding the building well, theres so many windows, a few under mounted grenade launchers will wipe them out. I played a game last night where I got 12 Kills 1 Death in the building, before being pushed out for the opposing team. We all then switched to grenades and took them out before re-taking it for the match.

Thats one of the reasons I love this game online, every tactic the enemy is using, can be countered by a switch of class or a change of tactic in your play style. Although this game has been derided over the years, its normally used as lazy shorthand for Activisions stranglehold on the market or for people whove played too much, or not at all.

Ive tried and enjoyed other online shooters but the precise gun combat, 60 frames per second, huge selection of quality maps and massive community always brings me back.

As an online experience, I would argue that not one other shooter comes close when youve got a great team to fight with, and a great team to fight against. It would take a miracle or Respawn Entertainment themselves, to top Modern Warfare 2.

Little of the team-work in MW2 can be pre-meditated, really. It's too fast paced, you die too easily, and everything's too clinical. Sure, you'll have your life saved and you'll save lives, but that's always circumstance, you can't truly cover each other, or lay down supressive fire, or flank an enemy while an ally pins them down. For that reason, for me, Battlefield 2 is a vastly superior team game.

I still find MW2 more fun, though. I'm just saying that - beyond you agreeing which angle you'll take an objective from, or who'll watch which door - there is very little you can do to help one another succeed.

I've only ever played CoD with other people for the laughs. Unless it's hardcore mode, there's very little you need to communicate and player skill comes way above anything else.

I agree with the point you make, Timmo, but I have the opposite reaction to you. It's a big part of why Bad Company 2 leaves me cold. I don't like having a pre-defined role to choose, it feels too restrictive and patronising. MW2 throws a whole load of pick-and-mix sweets at you and lets you grab whatever you want and damn the consequences. I don't know why class selection works for me in TF2 and not BC2, before you ask.

Ended up in a nuke-booster lobby last night so I had to do my Sandy Ravage duty. These guys were prepared though. There were 2 guys doing the tac.insert thing and 1 guy killing them but they also had guards in place. One from each team trying to stop booster-hunters getting through and stopping them. Didn't stop me and my booster-hunter class though. I bagged one guy at 23 kills. Felt good man.

It was some weird hacked lobby though. Every time I was killed I'd zoom out of the top of the screen and I kept getting prompted to 'Press X for Choper Gunner' or 'Press X to re-equip' wherever I walked.