Modern Warfare 2

letsbook

Again, I just think you are firing before they lunge if you kill them mid lunge. If somebody is running at you, just shoot at the bastards. Trying to line up that perfect shot often buys them the fraction they need to get their attack in first.

I had an odd moment in FFA earlier too. Two blokes on Estate were holding down the house together. It took me about four deaths to realise that they had some kind of weird truce and were only attacking other players. I dont know if they knew each other and had just hooked up via "join session in progress" or one had messaged the other at some point during their time in the lobby. They finished first and second. I managed a rather credible third though, thanks to some launching of grenades at the room they were holding down.

I remember the meltdown of XBL in the COD4 Era, can't remember exactly when it was, although I think it was around christmas. The whole XBL service pretty much melted. Couldn't get a game at all for weeks.

It was the Christmas of the CoD 4 launch. Servers were down for ages from Xmas day. We did get undertow for free though. Honestly I can't see them making the same mistake again, not when there has been so much shit chatting about lives price and PSN. They have had 2 years to bolster the service and I am sure they know roughly what kind of surge to expect due to MW2 sales. Can't say it will be perfect, but I am not sure it will go nuclear, I hope.

The infected xp was an random added bonus for being killed the other day.

Happens quite a lot, say 1 game in 15 for me. A common list of places would be useful.

For example, I've caught people doing it behind the Pylons/Electricty Generators on Estate and hidden behind the luggage transporters, outside at the bottom right corner on Terminal

Hampstead Heath...

Again, I just think you are firing before they lunge if you kill them mid lunge. If somebody is running at you, just shoot at the bastards. Trying to line up that perfect shot often buys them the fraction they need to get their attack in first.

No, I mean half way through the actual jerk forward rush. Guy runs towards me, I raise my spas 12 to my shoulder, he then clicks to dash forward animation but i get my shot off before contact is made and he drops. Its very easy to spot the rush because there is no walk animation, the enemy avater just flies at you.

Has something happened to FFA? I've just played six games of either 18 or 20 player FFA, which was nuts. Half of the time all you had to do to score at the start was look left and knife the person who spawned next to you. It was great fun, but manic doesn't begin to describe it.

It's people using the private ranked glitch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onoEPahcX8Y...player_embedded

It gives XP whilst allowing you to make sure you're connection host and in control of all the settings, gametype, score limit, radar always on etc. Randoms join the game when they select either 3rd person team tactical or the new mode the host has selected (usually domination as its the best mode for earning XP in).

Should be fixed alongside the overpowered akimbo 1887 shotguns in the patch.

Just had a lot of fun with UAV, Counter UAV and Sentry Gun. Hardline Pro means I have all of them after four kills, and I am starting to realise that I have massively under rated the Sentry Gun until now.

I'll always use the Predator Missile as a stepping stone to Air Support. The cookie cutter 5 > 7 > 9 or 5 > 7 > 11 kill streak choices, but I have finally decided to do some of the lower Kill Streak challenges and they are very powerful too, arent they? A well placed Sentry Gun can get 5 kills easily. Just stick it in a place where nobody can run up behind it and stab it (corners of rooms are awesome), put a Claymore near it to get the Cold Blooded guys and retire to a safe distance. I must have got 20 kills in Terminal just now because I had the Sentry Gun in the corner by Burger Town so it could see all the way down to the duty free shop in one direction and to the lobby at the top of the escalators in the other. I stuck a claymore in front of it, and I hid in one of the alcoves looking back towards Burger Town. Its amazing how many kills you can get by shooting people who are looking at your Sentry. That corner of the map was mine until some bastard EMP'd me! :)

Man, I annoyed. For 3 days I have not been able to play online with this (always keeps searching for games) and its just weird why it started to happen. It says my NAT is strict, but im pretty sure its always said that.

Ive gone through my router (02 wireless box II) turned on the game settings for xbox live, disabled firewalls blah blah and nothing - its still strict.

I just wanted to play some MW2 before xmas :)

Man, I annoyed. For 3 days I have not been able to play online with this (always keeps searching for games) and its just weird why it started to happen. It says my NAT is strict, but im pretty sure its always said that.

Ive gone through my router (02 wireless box II) turned on the game settings for xbox live, disabled firewalls blah blah and nothing - its still strict.

I just wanted to play some MW2 before xmas :)

I've fiddled around for hours with the O2 wireless box, trying to work out how to get ride of strict NAT (that is definitely your problem, by the way). I'm using auto-assigned IP addresses (DHCP), and every now and then it decides to just make the NAT strict.

I've only recently realised that faffing around with adding the Xbox Live service in the router controls, trying to get the 360 in the DMZ makes fuck all difference. I just restart the router, and the NAT goes back to open. Just put everything back to normal, don't bother assiging a 'service' to your 360, and see what happens. Good luck!

I've fiddled around for hours with the O2 wireless box, trying to work out how to get ride of strict NAT (that is definitely your problem, by the way). I'm using auto-assigned IP addresses (DHCP), and every now and then it decides to just make the NAT strict.

I've only recently realised that faffing around with adding the Xbox Live service in the router controls, trying to get the 360 in the DMZ makes fuck all difference. I just restart the router, and the NAT goes back to open. Just put everything back to normal, don't bother assiging a 'service' to your 360, and see what happens. Good luck!

Ill give it a go cheers, I did turn it off and on and same prob but i wonder if i do a factory reset.. will i lose details (login etc).

Ill go try in a few.

I kept getting signed out of PSN this morning. It's the first time I've ever had a problem. Then again, I don't often play the thing on a weekday morning. It's was annoying, though, because I was giving everyone a good fucking pasting for once. Seeing as over half of my kills are with the knife, I've belatedly given the ripper set-up a go. It's pretty brutal. I'm not as irritating as many, but I'm straight in the enemy hideout, then stab, stab, stab, stab, and I've got four kills in half as many seconds. Pure filth. I'm amazed public matches haven't turned into one big knife fight by now.

Just had a few FFA games where 2 players with the same clan tag were kill-spawning using tactical insertions to get AC130s and Nukes, I pmed the others in the game and we started witchhunts on each level to find and fuck up their plans. They quit after a couple of games of that! Take that spawn fuckers! Everyone else had a great time!

I've become obsessed with nuke campers. On Rundown playing FFA last night - saw a group of three guys running behind the villa, clearly not killing each other so took them out from range. I then died and switched to my OMA noob tube setup and scoured every secluded part of that map. Everywhere I checked they turned up - behind the long fence in the south - hello! In the open field - hiya! In the river under the bridge - evening officer! Back to the villa again - boom! Grenade launcher triple kills a plenty. I wound up winning the round by a stupid margin and the cursing when we got back to the lobby! My word, would have rendered a sailor scarlet.

Just to follow up from other people's problem with O2 and their router, I had a problem with my O2 router recently resetting itself 2-3 times a day, then, suddenly, playing Modern Warfare 2 it changed NAT setting from Open to Strict. I couldn't play a game because it was constantly searching for one. Rang O2, they said that they'd have to charge me if I wanted them to change the settings to Open. I explained then it was Open before but that it just switched to Strict. They said ok, then they changed it to Open while I was on the phone. I rang back a week later to say that the router was still resetting itself so they sent me a new router.

Been playing a lot more domination in the last few days and I really like it, apart from the folk running around with 'nade launchers. Think my K/D ratio might have taken a beating because of them twats!

Still loving the game though and I'm still only on level 52.

As for routers, my O2 router always said strict until setup my network connection through the XBOX and since then its fine and stayed at open. Not sure if it'll work for you guys having problems but might worth a try.

What about the times when you go into the lunge but miss because they've moved? I'm not convinced that the hit is worked out from the instant you push the stick. It's not as if it would be the only animation that has invincibility (last stand). Speaking of which it appears you can knife during that drop, which makes it unstoppable (when they're that close). At other ranges you still have to wait to switch to pistol at which point the invincibility will have run out.

In my experience it's certainly not. It seems to go:

- Hit melee

- Animation starts

- Hit registers.

There's a definite point that comes only after the attack animation has completed where the actual connect happens.

In my experience.

I've become obsessed with nuke campers. On Rundown playing FFA last night - saw a group of three guys running behind the villa, clearly not killing each other so took them out from range. I then died and switched to my OMA noob tube setup and scoured every secluded part of that map. Everywhere I checked they turned up - behind the long fence in the south - hello! In the open field - hiya! In the river under the bridge - evening officer! Back to the villa again - boom! Grenade launcher triple kills a plenty. I wound up winning the round by a stupid margin and the cursing when we got back to the lobby! My word, would have rendered a sailor scarlet.

hahahaha amazing!

I've gone all shit at this :rolleyes:

I was getting along quite nicely, with a regular 2:1 KD on TDM (not massive numbers but overall helping the team out and enjoying it hugely). However for the last few days I just can't seem to play well at all. Every time I kill a guy someone else shoots me, so I'm barely getting even low level streaks. I'm assuming there's a drop-off in the number of new players and the general standard is improving.

I find positioning myself correctly really tough, it's extremely hard to know where best to be. Windows are the worst - for example on Favela, if I go near a window to shoot the guys in or on buildings, I'll be shot by a psychic opponent who I couldn't see in another window. Conversely I'm lit up like a Christmas tree in my window. If I play more cautiously, trying to predict enemy movements via UAV and my teams arrows on the mini-map I either get over-run by the enemy, or I don't see anyone for ages, and end up with barely any kills.

How should I be moving about and positioning myself?

I've gone all shit at this :rolleyes:

I was getting along quite nicely, with a regular 2:1 KD on TDM (not massive numbers but overall helping the team out and enjoying it hugely). However for the last few days I just can't seem to play well at all. Every time I kill a guy someone else shoots me, so I'm barely getting even low level streaks. I'm assuming there's a drop-off in the number of new players and the general standard is improving.

I find positioning myself correctly really tough, it's extremely hard to know where best to be. Windows are the worst - for example on Favela, if I go near a window to shoot the guys in or on buildings, I'll be shot by a psychic opponent who I couldn't see in another window. Conversely I'm lit up like a Christmas tree in my window. If I play more cautiously, trying to predict enemy movements via UAV and my teams arrows on the mini-map I either get over-run by the enemy, or I don't see anyone for ages, and end up with barely any kills.

Try bling with red dot and a silencer (assuming you don't like the iron sights). A FAMAS still kills in 1-2 bursts. The silencer will stop a lot of those deaths.

I've had a similar thing recently through messing around with crazy loadouts - you kind of forget how to play. How you play depends very much on your setup and what gametypes you play - FFA, for example is a massively different beast to Domination. This is all spectacularly obvious, in terms of specifics as Timmo suggest switch to a silenced red dot assault rifle of your choice with stopping power, that should give you a decent chance of winning most one on ones. In terms of movement I can only suggest what works for me, stay crouched in cover where possible - cover should ideally partially protect you and be shaded. From cover scan every area infront of you, not just at your level but up/down too, take out anything that moves. If there's no action run to the next bit of cover and repeat. Never break cover without having a good idea of what's in front of you. With team based stuff always try flank, try not get involved in the head on stuff. With objective stuff keep it simple and work on protecting one area. In general slow your game down as much as possible and don't let yourself get wound up, when I run around angry I die, lots. When I'm calm, deliberate and focused I'll generally bugger my opposition senseless.

Try bling with red dot and a silencer (assuming you don't like the iron sights). A FAMAS still kills in 1-2 bursts. The silencer will stop a lot of those deaths.

My Stealth loadout is a silenced, iron-sighted SCAR with Scavenger Pro, Cold-Blooded, Ninja Pro and Claymores and it still works fairly well, although (maybe due to recent high latency) the SCAR is taking longer to drop people and more and more seem to just rush through carefully placed claymores without dying. I watched one of those Sandy Ravage videos where he used a silenced SCAR on Rundown and he was dropping people from miles off with only a few shots which makes me think it's partly general net issues.

I find it much harder when I want to use an unsilenced weapon for the extra range/power. Obviously I become significantly more visible firing an unsuppressed weapon, but I find that I'm dying a lot to people who I should be killing - I seem to take an age to line them up from distance, before taking a face full of lead, or they manage to shoot me in whatever cover I've managed to place myself in. It's strange, the Modern Warfare yips.

I've had a similar thing recently through messing around with crazy loadouts - you kind of forget how to play. How you play depends very much on your setup and what gametypes you play - FFA, for example is a massively different beast to Domination. This is all spectacularly obvious, in terms of specifics as Timmo suggest switch to a silenced red dot assault rifle of your choice with stopping power, that should give you a decent chance of winning most one on ones. In terms of movement I can only suggest what works for me, stay crouched in cover where possible - cover should ideally partially protect you and be shaded. From cover scan every area infront of you, not just at your level but up/down too, take out anything that moves. If there's no action run to the next bit of cover and repeat. Never break cover without having a good idea of what's in front of you. With team based stuff always try flank, try not get involved in the head on stuff. With objective stuff keep it simple and work on protecting one area. In general slow your game down as much as possible and don't let yourself get wound up, when I run around angry I die, lots. When I'm calm, deliberate and focused I'll generally bugger my opposition senseless.

I should probably switch Scavenger for Stopping Power, but I read that on the SCAR (if you hit with three bullets) it actually makes no difference to whether they die or not due to the damage dealt without SP. If they're damaged then I can see the advantage.

Possibly part of the problem is moving cautiously about and finding the fight elsewhere all the time, resulting in rushing to catch up and leaving myself open to attack. Thanks for the advice regarding cover, I'll try to observe what's shaded more. I do always stand at the back of a room to shoot from a window (Mark Wahlberg taught us that in Shooter :rolleyes:), but I think I probably make a lot of bad decisions position-wise. It doesn't help that my main online partner can rush about like a loon getting 25 kills and 8 deaths, seemingly with no effort whilst I'm sneaking about nursing my 3 up to a 5. I also suspect that I switch off too much mentally when gaming, rather than applying enough concentration. I need to focus more, think about whether the next move is likely to get me killed, take less risky options. It's very easy to swan around and be shot by someone hiding 100 yards away behind a bin.

My Stealth loadout is a silenced, iron-sighted SCAR with Scavenger Pro, Cold-Blooded, Ninja Pro and Claymores and it still works fairly well, although (maybe due to recent high latency) the SCAR is taking longer to drop people and more and more seem to just rush through carefully placed claymores without dying. I watched one of those Sandy Ravage videos where he used a silenced SCAR on Rundown and he was dropping people from miles off with only a few shotso which makes me think it's partly general 'net issues.

I find it much harder when I want to use an unsilenced weapon for the extra range/power. Obviously I become significantly more visible firing an unsuppressed weapon, but I find that I'm dying a lot to people who I should be killing - I seem to take an age to line them up from distance, before taking a face full of lead, or they manage to shoot me in whatever cover I've managed to place myself in. It's strange, the Modern Warfare yips.

Use stopping power. The FAMAS (and to a lesser extent the SCAR) is crazily powerful with the silencer and stopping power. Like I say, one to two bursts. I've never had a "stealth" class, i.e. I never use cold blooded, but I spend the vast majority of the game never on the opposition's UAV. When they put a UAV up, retreat back to your team and try and predict where they'll come from based on the positions of your team-mates, because they'll be hunting you.

Not sure if it always helps me 1-on-1, but in team games I try to stay within the group as part of the team's blob, so my sectors are covered. If the blob moves or spawns further away I move round and rejoin them, instead of staying isolated and fighting until I'm taken out. Also I try to avoid obvious windows, and sometimes look behind me to see whether my body/head sticks out really obviously against a light-coloured wall or something. Just being in an unusual position each time is good. And not shuffling about when waiting behind cover as movement is often so easy to see.

Rushing needs good positioning too.