rllmuk
Scog

The iOS gaming thread

I've been really enjoying Archero since it was mentioned in the thread, its a great game.  Hit a wall at level 5 though and it seems I need to grind out earlier levels (did 3 for a while but outgear it now so 4 is the current one I'm working on) for better gear/stats/levels.

Which surprisingly hasn't killed it yet for me, but it is definitely a barrier.  Apparently 7 is a real wall and lots of grinding needed to get past that one.

5 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

I'm stuck on stage 5... Cleared the first hero model last night. The difficulty curve is definitely off, it doesn't need to be as hard (read: grind) as it is.

Unless you look at it purely as a mechanism for selling ‘gems’, and then it’s pitch perfect.

It really is unusual as it’s essentially as rancid and cheating as all those types of games in its sales structure (ie enemy types and layouts ramp up more if you put together powerful builds), and yet the core mechanic is so nice that you feel happy to grind along for the incremental crumbs. 

It’s the first new iOS game I’ve stuck with in years - I’d pay a premium for a flattened gem/energy free version.

On 22/08/2019 at 16:39, MotiVater said:

I've been really enjoying Archero since it was mentioned in the thread, its a great game.  Hit a wall at level 5 though and it seems I need to grind out earlier levels (did 3 for a while but outgear it now so 4 is the current one I'm working on) for better gear/stats/levels.

Which surprisingly hasn't killed it yet for me, but it is definitely a barrier.  Apparently 7 is a real wall and lots of grinding needed to get past that one.

Thanks for this I absolutely love it on your recommendation. It’s like binding of Isaac in a way 

16 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Can anyone recommend any good top down racers? Super Sprint kinda thing? Looked at Reckless Raving 2 but it says not compatible.

Reckless Racing 3?

I don’t know what phone you have - I have iPhone 8 with iOS 13 and all three Reckless Racing games work.

12 hours ago, Kramer said:

Reckless Racing 3?

I don’t know what phone you have - I have iPhone 8 with iOS 13 and all three Reckless Racing games work.

Samsung 9+ Android.

Didn't realised there was a 3! I'll try that.

GameClub has just launched. It's a bit like Apple Arcade but with mostly older games from the 'golden age' of iOS gaming.

You pay a fiver a month and get access to a bucket load of games without any IAP or adverts.

What's particularly interesting, and very decent of them, is that they've updated the original apps themselves. That means any of the games that are part of GameClub that you bought when they first came out are now playable again, even if you don't subscribe to the service. You have to click past a bunch of GameClub splash screens the first time you boot it up but otherwise they're fine.

Hook World, Space Miner, Forget.Me.Not and loads more belters are back from the dead and playable on an iPhone XR. The only game that didn't work was Pix'n Love Rush which seems to have disappeared from my purchase list for some reason.

• Upvote 1

I was on the beta for this so I've played a lot of these and I had no problems with any of them either on my XR or on my iPad Pro.  They issued updates quickly for several of them too.

Whether a bunch of 5-10 year old iOS games is worth the money is a different discussion of course.

8 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

GameClub has just launched. It's a bit like Apple Arcade but with mostly older games from the 'golden age' of iOS gaming.

You pay a fiver a month and get access to a bucket load of games without any IAP or adverts.

What's particularly interesting, and very decent of them, is that they've updated the original apps themselves. That means any of the games that are part of GameClub that you bought when they first came out are now playable again, even if you don't subscribe to the service. You have to click past a bunch of GameClub splash screens the first time you boot it up but otherwise they're fine.

Hook World, Space Miner, Forget.Me.Not and loads more belters are back from the dead and playable on an iPhone XR. The only game that didn't work was Pix'n Love Rush which seems to have disappeared from my purchase list for some reason.

There are a few games that don’t automatically detect you previously owned them - I think Pix ‘n Love Rush is one of them. There’sa separate process you go through to get your previous purchase recognised.

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There are a few games that don’t automatically detect you previously owned them - I think Pix ‘n Love Rush is one of them. There’sa separate process you go through to get your previous purchase recognised.

The problem is that Pix'n Love Rush has disappeared off my purchase list so that process doesn't work. It's weird. I know I own it because it's still installed on my never-to-be-updated iPad 3 Llamasoft machine. But there's no purchase history.

I guess the issue with some games is that they have been deleted by the original publisher account being closed.

I like that Gameclub is making some games available that otherwise wouldn't be through any means. But I'm a bit wary of this being described as a 'preservation effort'. They're taking games that died because they weren't commercially viable to maintain and putting them on a single account on the same platform that will also disappear if it's not commercially viable to maintain.

They've made mention of wanting to take games to other platforms (where they might have a chance of being preserved in the long term) but I've not seen any sign of this yet.

On 22/08/2019 at 16:39, MotiVater said:

Even this has a battle pass now! 

On 05/09/2019 at 14:43, Nosejam said:

Is it still worth picking this up or should I just wait for MMO to come out? I played the first and enjoyed that for a bit but it was too simple for me for serious longevity. I imagine I'll get £4 worth of entertainment out of this easily, just wouldn't mind waiting for the next version either.

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but the Dodonpachi games have been updated for 64-bit, and now work on the newest version of iOS! No Bug Princess and Espgaluda yet, but they can’t be far off. 

I don’t think so, but could be wrong. The original ports were adapted for touch screens (and worked extremely well), and it looks like they haven’t done a huge amount other than update them for modern iPhone screen sizes.