Jump to content
rllmuk
Scog

The iOS gaming thread

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, dizogg said:

Just got an iPad Pro after not having an iPad in years. Any recommended iPad games? Preferably stuff that works with a touch screen. Maybe strategy games etc. But anything really, basically out of touch with iOS games and would welcome recommendations of “must haves”.

 

There's some great stuff on iOS. Especially on iPad.

 

Baldur's Gate games

Planescape

Tropico

Darkest Dungeon

Civ VI

StarDew Valley

Phoenix 2

Six Ages

Cultist Simulator

Plague Inc

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Has anyone played the Gardens Between? Looks interesting and is very highly rated on the store. 

 

I've got it on the Switch. It's a great little game, to the point I was thinking of double-dipping on iOS as it would be ideal to play on my commute (lots of standing tube journeys, so not really comfortable for Switch play). I will say it's more a simple, relaxing puzzle game. It's definitely not especially taxing, but it is very relaxing and chilled and it has a nice atmosphere with some lovely little set pieces.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Clash Royale - I'd delete every other game on my phone to keep that one

 

You are addicted, I nearly came back to it last week when I was stuck in a waiting room for 5 hours!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes.

 

In terms of longevity, I'd recommend Solitairica, as that has lots more to unlock, and runs take longer, but Card Thief is also great, as are the other Tiny Touch Tales card games, Card Crawl and Miracle Merchant (which I've finally started playing having originally downloaded it years ago, and am now mildly obsessed with).

 

To be honest, if you take those four games and add Meteorfall you're probably talking about the iOS games I've played the most (outside of Hearthstone), so I'd heartily recommend them all.

 

Worth looking here too - https://www.pockettactics.com/guides/best-card-games-android-ios/. It's a solid list (though I haven't played them all, and am a bit wary of the Elder Scrolls game), as the ones you've mentioned (or I have) are all either on the list, or referenced in the Hall of Fame at the bottom (with links to the reviews).

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So apparently, iOS 13 is going to support Xbox and PlayStation controllers!

 

 

Bit miffed that I bought an Mfi one now, which is useful only for Apple, when I could've waited if it's known. However I didn't pay much for it and mine charges via lightning so one less cable and no battery pack to worry about.

 

 

It will be interesting to see if Apple allow clickable thumbsticks; Fortnite without them is a bit of a pain as the button mapping has to be different to accommodate that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/06/2019 at 15:36, JDubYes said:

Worth looking here too - https://www.pockettactics.com/guides/best-card-games-android-ios/. It's a solid list (though I haven't played them all, and am a bit wary of the Elder Scrolls game), as the ones you've mentioned (or I have) are all either on the list, or referenced in the Hall of Fame at the bottom (with links to the reviews).

 

Cultist Simulator on that list is incredible. I bought it on Friday morning for something to do on a flight I had and have barely stopped playing it since.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/06/2019 at 14:36, JDubYes said:

Oh yes.

 

In terms of longevity, I'd recommend Solitairica, as that has lots more to unlock, and runs take longer, but Card Thief is also great, as are the other Tiny Touch Tales card games, Card Crawl and Miracle Merchant (which I've finally started playing having originally downloaded it years ago, and am now mildly obsessed with).

 

To be honest, if you take those four games and add Meteorfall you're probably talking about the iOS games I've played the most (outside of Hearthstone), so I'd heartily recommend them all.

 

Worth looking here too - https://www.pockettactics.com/guides/best-card-games-android-ios/. It's a solid list (though I haven't played them all, and am a bit wary of the Elder Scrolls game), as the ones you've mentioned (or I have) are all either on the list, or referenced in the Hall of Fame at the bottom (with links to the reviews).

 

I went with Solitairica in the end. It’s not what I thought it would be, less long and skilful chains and more luck of the draw, but I suppose that’s to be expected!

 

It’s incredibly addictive.

 

Might give Cultist sim a go once I’ve had my fill of this.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2019 at 15:58, gospvg said:

 

You are addicted, I nearly came back to it last week when I was stuck in a waiting room for 5 hours!

 

Thanks for +1 on that post @Phelan I am weak!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mobile phone gamers are getting a new Tetris...

 

Quote

Tetris Royale, a 100-player battle royale game, is coming to mobile devices in a partnership between N3TWORK and The Tetris Company. It’ll essentially be a mobile version of the Nintendo Switch’s impossibly addicting Tetris 99.

 

The game is the first Tetris game to come out of N3TWORK and The Tetris Company’s exclusive multiyear partnership, which means we’ll be seeing more Tetris games for mobile in the future. Aside from the 100-player competitive mode, Tetris Royale will have other modes like a Solo marathon mode and daily challenges where players can earn rewards to gain customization options, power-ups, and boosters that can be used in battle games.

 

The game is currently in development and will be available for beta testing for iOS and Android devices in 2019.

 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/28/19102611/tetris-royale-mobile-n3twork-nintendo-tetris-99

 

In answer to your question: I'm not sure if people will want to play this when 99 exists, but as someone who doesn't own a Switch I'm curious... If it ends up being a standalone product at a reasonable price (rather than a F2P nightmare) I might be interested...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i've still been doing the odd bit of mobile gaming now i've decided to wind down on Pokemon Go.

 

First off is a card game by Capcom & the people that make Puzzle & Dragons.

 

I really enjoyed it when it first came out but i have now found it to be really buggy for me on my iPhone XS Max, weird locks during special moves etc.

 

https://teppenthegame.com/en/

 

 

 

Another one i picked up a couple of days ago was Metal Slug Infinity which is surprisingly an Idle RPG.

 

This has so much going on with besides the usual invest money and see how far you can go, there're dungeons where you can get character shards, PVP and also a dungeon for getting more Slug pieces. I really like it but boy does it run my phone warm and kill my battery too. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned, but Archero is a great game. You control an archer, progressing through a series of arenas, the twist is you can only shoot (which is auto-fire) when you stop moving. There’s a light RPG aspect with gear and upgrades, it also has that Binding of Isaac thing of being able to stack power ups. Tons of fun, and free to play.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned, but Archero is a great game. You control an archer, progressing through a series of arenas, the twist is you can only shoot (which is auto-fire) when you stop moving. There’s a light RPG aspect with gear and upgrades, it also has that Binding of Isaac thing of being able to stack power ups. Tons of fun, and free to play.

 

This is a great game - but ‘energy’ spoils it, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the Eurogamer piece on it and gave it a go. It’s great and seems to work quite well in that the micro transactions don’t completely ruin it so long as you only do a few runs at a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another problem with Archero is that once you get to level 3, the game mechanic changes and it’s impossible to progress without some serious grinding.

 

But of course you can’t grind, because of energy. Your four available games will simply evaporate.

 

A potentially lovely game that would be worth buying to remove energy, but it’s just designed to be a money sinkhole instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Another problem with Archero is that once you get to level 3, the game mechanic changes and it’s impossible to progress without some serious grinding.

 

But of course you can’t grind, because of energy. Your four available games will simply evaporate.

 

A potentially lovely game that would be worth buying to remove energy, but it’s just designed to be a money sinkhole instead.

 

Thats not good news. I finished the first world of 50 levels yesterday and was really enjoying the feeling of progression. I may well be bored with it by the time I get to the third one though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

 

Thats not good news. I finished the first world of 50 levels yesterday and was really enjoying the feeling of progression. I may well be bored with it by the time I get to the third one though.

 

The second level is good, but the third makes you fight waves within the same screen, so unless you are either very powerful or very lucky with first weapon rolls you get rinsed quick.

 

Of course, you can still grind by going back to the early levels I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still on the first world there is an option at the bottom (2nd one along) that has not unlocked for me just yet? What is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I'm still on the first world there is an option at the bottom (2nd one along) that has not unlocked for me just yet? What is that?

 

The equipment one. It'll unlock when you get an upgrade or some new stuff.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vorgot said:

 

The equipment one. It'll unlock when you get an upgrade or some new stuff.

 

Cool, thanks I like the game for the quick 3 to 5 minutes bursts. Just got to level 32 in one run, got really lucky with some of the power ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think thats the joy of it, play a run every now and again and the random nature of it keeps it different. Will give Void Tyrant a go as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/04/2019 at 17:28, Flub said:

What would people recommend as a good Chess game for my devices? Preferably one I can just buy outright. (Honestly. Backgammon games with monthly subscriptions? Really?)

 

Have you seen Shredder Chess? It's old but good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2019 at 11:30, Vorgot said:

I think thats the joy of it, play a run every now and again and the random nature of it keeps it different. Will give Void Tyrant a go as well.

 

I’m still playing Archero...can’t get past lvl 4! :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ZOK said:

 

I’m still playing Archero...can’t get past lvl 4! :angry:

 

I'm still on 3 but not played in a while. There goes my afternoon productivity......

 

EDIT : I lie! Still on 2! So that really is my afternoon shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.