The iOS gaming thread

Scog

It's an old one, but I'd like to sing the praise of Hero Emblems.

Not because I had a blast and finished it after 47 hours of fun. Not because it's the best value for money ever. Not because it's the best match 3 ever.

But because it made my 10 years old step daughter réalise that Candy Crush was "really shit indeed".

Been playing Reigns this past week or so. Simple enough premise in that you're a King presented with cards to represent decisions, and swipe left or right to make a choice, but each one can have far-reaching consequences as you progress through time.

It's pretty quirky, and good for short bursts (longer sessions burn my phone's battery but it is 2 years old so probably on the wane anyway). Can't think of anything similar (although sure there is something) but worth a look.

I was just introduced to Pixel Cup Soccer 16 via the App Store promoting it as a timed freebie.

Aside from the usual touch screen control issues, this is the greatest GBA football game that never was. Classic arcade gameplay with outrageous aftertouch on shots and loads of charm in the presentation. If they ported it to 3DS or Vita, FIFA and PES would be dead to me. This is my kind of videogame football. These guys get me.

http://toucharcade.com/2016/06/03/pixel-cup-soccer-16-review-theres-your-fairytale/

On 19 August 2016 at 10:06, glb said:

Been playing Reigns this past week or so. Simple enough premise in that you're a King presented with cards to represent decisions, and swipe left or right to make a choice, but each one can have far-reaching consequences as you progress through time.

It's pretty quirky, and good for short bursts (longer sessions burn my phone's battery but it is 2 years old so probably on the wane anyway). Can't think of anything similar (although sure there is something) but worth a look.

This is great. I'm hooked. 

I haven't reigned for very long yet, but it's really enjoyable and darkly funny. 

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Lumines is out.  I remember the PSP version being pretty popular here.

i didn't ever get into the PSP or early iOS version, but loving this version - great controls, skins, tunes. Seems there's plenty of game for £2.29.

Surprised no-one's mentioned it, as I think it's something a few on here would enjoy, but here's Solitairica.

It's effectively Solitaire, but with RPG/Roguelite structure bolted on. As you play you gather resources to use spells in order to defeat your enemies, on the way to defeating the emperor. When you die you start again from scratch (in terms of spells, etc), though as you progress you'll be able to unlock/buy passive abilities that will carry over, as well as new decks/classes, item slots, abilities, etc.

it's a premium game, a one-time purchase with no ads/IAPs, and I'm loving it. It's got lovely presentation and a fun sense of humour, and really reminds me of Card Crawl (which I'd also highly recommend), but Solitaire, which is high praise indeed.

Speaking of Card Crawl - the creator has just brought out a tactical roguelike called Enyo, which I've not had much chance to play, but seems great from what little time I have spent with it. If you're a fan of either his previous game or (the frankly slightly wonderful and also recommended) Hoplite, then I think that's probably worth a go too. Free to download, then a one-off £1.49 to remove the ads.

Hmm, how odd, I've been enjoying Enyo and had no idea it was connected to Hoplite, which I love! Really the graphics should have given it away.

It's very nice, but doesn't have anywhere near the stickiness of Hoplite for me.

Oh, sorry, maybe my post is a bit misleading, but it's not actually connected (in any meaningful way) to Hoplite. It was just a comparison, what with them both being turn-based roguelikes. Hoplite is brilliant though; I've had it for years and still pop back to it from time to time..

if you like a roguelike, have you played 868-Hack? That's another brilliant one on iOS. Ending is good too, though once you've finished it it loses some of its replay value (or at least I've gone back to it less).

On 9/1/2016 at 20:06, Kramer said:

I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Lumines is out.  I remember the PSP version being pretty popular here.

i didn't ever get into the PSP or early iOS version, but loving this version - great controls, skins, tunes. Seems there's plenty of game for £2.29.

On 9/1/2016 at 23:23, MagicalDrop said:

Wow, long term fan of Lumines here, no idea it was coming to iOS - downloaded, early impressions are very good. 

Thank you!

What are the controls like?

To answer my own question, pretty good - tap to rotate (set direction change in options), drag to move left/right.  It's a version actually designed around the phone (touch controls, smaller play area), rather than the crappy PSP/Vita port I feared it might be.

On 5 September 2016 at 13:29, JDubYes said:

Oh, sorry, maybe my post is a bit misleading, but it's not actually connected (in any meaningful way) to Hoplite. It was just a comparison, what with them both being turn-based roguelikes. Hoplite is brilliant though; I've had it for years and still pop back to it from time to time..

if you like a roguelike, have you played 868-Hack? That's another brilliant one on iOS. Ending is good too, though once you've finished it it loses some of its replay value (or at least I've gone back to it less).

Ah I see! No, to be honest I'm not a fan of rogue likes at all, mostly I find them annoying, but I really really love Hoplite.

On 22 August 2016 at 13:29, glb said:

48 years?! Most I've managed is 32!

Think my most common death is choking at a feast :lol:

I haven't come close to 48 years since!

I hope they release some new cards soon. I know you unlock more and more as your progress, but when you blast through a dozen games in an hour (it certainly has that 'one more go' pull) you start to see a lot of the stuff over and over. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2016 at 20:06, Kramer said:

The brilliant thing about this version is the selection of skins and tunes from the original psp game. It's awesome!

I only just realised that Fire Maple games had a new game out. Return to Grisly Manor:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/return-to-grisly-manor/id975985952?mt=8

If you like gentle, old school point and click adventures, and especially if you have kids (we've played the previous games with 8-10 year olds who absolutely loved them) then these are the best available. This one seems particularly well made (especially if you compare it to the original Grisly Manor) and has much more content.

I am flying out to South Africa soon and am after game recommendations for the flight.   I have played a lot of Fallout Shelter recently, and am after something that I could get into rather than quick, short burst style games.   I thought about buying a Final Fantasy game but the price-tag puts me off that, but maybe something similar.  

Pretty much any of the Kairosofts in fact.  The football one is quite sweet as well, as are a couple more of the "town" ones.

Expect to feel a bit like you're playing a game designed for a Nokia with physical buttons circa 2006 with them though, but that's because you are.

18 hours ago, Nosejam said:

Game Dev Story or Mega Mall Story both by Kairosoft. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Pretty much any of the Kairosofts in fact.  The football one is quite sweet as well, as are a couple more of the "town" ones.

Expect to feel a bit like you're playing a game designed for a Nokia with physical buttons circa 2006 with them though, but that's because you are.

I love Game Dev Story and the Formula 1 one.

I didn't really get on with most of the others after that, mostly because they all seem to involve a lot of base-building. I found it fiddly to place buildings and so on with the touch screen.

The two I mentioned are set in single locations, which I find easier to cope with.

I think most of the Kairo games (and there are LOADS) have a decent demo so you can see how well you get on with them before buying.