The iOS gaming thread

Clintpic-286x300.png

Just a quick update to say that Crazy Seahorses is now available to play for free download on iOS and Android.

To offset this we've introduced some non-intrusive ads, which can be disabled (and will be automatically for anyone who purchased the app previously).

This is the route we should have gone at launch and I will happily re-imburse anyone who feels they didn't get their 79p worth. Just drop me a pm!

But I hope more people will try it and at the very least give us more feedback on the control scheme (we have another update planned soon) and hopefully you'll enjoy playing it too!

I love the look, the music and the sound effects.

I do not like the controls at all I'm afraid. I seem to be hitting bombs even though I'm trying to jump and just can't work out what I could have done better to avoid them.

Is pay to remove the adds if you offered an alternative control.

Ok I've played Crazy Seahorses some more and I'm convinced this isn't me being a donut

There are times where a quick tap works to jump and times where it doesn't. So in that crucial split second - try to avoid a bomb you've just landed in front of - you can't avoid it, even though you've reacted in time. Not sure if this is the control method at fault or it's just not responding correctly, but certainly doesn't encourage you to stay at it because it feels unfair.

Do sort it though as it's splendid otherwise.

Yes, I was playing it last night, and I hit so many bombs that I could see, I was trying to react to and there was seemingly no action from my seahorse.

I think that the problem is to jump you've got to touch and then let go, which means it is having to register the touch before the let go bit, and very often there is not enough time for both things to happen. Of course, my knowledge of how these things work is zero, so who knows.

I currently have 60k coins and I can't buy any better seahorses because I can't reach the scoring threshold to unlock the ability to purchase them. That's annoying.

Also Stu, I notice that you are the highest scorer, and your top score is only just over twice what mine is. That suggests to me that the best player cannot score significantly higher than an average one, which means something I guess.

I just gave it a proper go and got to the last stage with a score of 4,502. You're on 1,700. So I'd say that is a significant difference and neither of us are using the coin multiplier power-up so I'm confident I could smash 9,000.

No, I disagree. If you could smash 9000 that is a different matter entirely, but 4500 just represents roughly twice as long, which in a game like this with what seems to be a lot of random luck going on, isn't much. Maybe the game is just too hard though, looking at the scoreboards 2K seems like the average score.

I'm playing on an iPhone 6. Generally I've hit mines in the water because there is no jump registering. Seems fine with the hovering to me though.

I've bought Pona then, let's see if that makes any difference. I already have Clint, it's the ones after him I can't get.

So I just scored 1179 with Pona.

I think what it is is too is that the monkeys throw too many bombs too accurately. I died because I was coming down from a jump, with two monkeys both throwing bombs, one above me throwing down and one in the water throwing up (ho ho!). There was literally nothing I could do to prevent one or the other of the bombs hitting me. So that means the progression is luck based, rather than skill, at least in that instance. And it's happened too many other times where I felt I had no way of avoiding a bomb I knew was going to hit me for me to discount that.

And here's an issue with the mines, I seem to often hit the mine in the first 'room' if I run over the wooden platform before it (to smash the crates). The seahorse just won't jump off that second platform, it always keeps running back down the steps into the water, and hits the mine.

Ok so my issues only apply when in the water on the ground etc, nothing to do with the hover, which works fine IMO.

As Zok says perhaps it's because you have to tap and release, although I really have tried adjusting, but whatever it is, I know I'm reacting in time and yet I'm hitting that blasted mine.

im on a 5s by the way.

And here's an issue with the mines, I seem to often hit the mine in the first 'room' if I run over the wooden platform before it (to smash the crates). The seahorse just won't jump off that second platform, it always keeps running back down the steps into the water, and hits the mine.

Yes this.

I always said a modern day Xeno would be an amazing thing and now it exists - Soccer Stars by miniclip. 5 pucks on each side, plays like a mix of pool and football and its frigging great. Had some amazingly tense and strategic matches already.

I've release my second self developed and published app today, it's called Not Bored Games.

Basically it's Charades and another board game about guessing 4 answers to a given category in a time limit. There's also a score keeping and timer feature in there for other games They're the sort of things I like playing myself so I've tried to make them as user friendly as possible with hand written answers and non-repeating subjects etc. It's free to try and cheap to buy so if you want to take a look I'd be grateful.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/not-bored-games-charades-other/id1056923691?mt=8

I always said a modern day Xeno would be an amazing thing and now it exists - Soccer Stars by miniclip. 5 pucks on each side, plays like a mix of pool and football and its frigging great. Had some amazingly tense and strategic matches already.

top tip - only played briefly but love it - just managed a five win streak on the bog at work and as you say its surprisingly tactical.

Thanks for this, just spent far too long playing it! It uses every IAP trick in the book though.

I got really into Soccer Stars for about 3 months and became a bit obsessed with my win percentage. It is extremely tactical once you come up against the better players and matches can last easily 20 minutes. I found it a bit too stressful and unrewarding in the end considering the effort it was taking. Really good game, though, way better than their pool game.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh god, Magic the Gathering: Puzzle Ques on iOS/Andoid, combining two of the most addictive things ever, this is digital heroin, pure crack

Help me

Saw this post yesterday. Downloaded the game just before bedtime. Fuck you! ;)