IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

I'm not understanding the love for Canabalt. I haven't played it but watched a three minute run on YouTube and it looks really boring; both graphically and gameplay-wise. What am I missing? Is all you do just press a jump button periodically?

Totally addicted to Drop7 though.

I'm not understanding the love for Canabalt. I haven't played it but watched a three minute run on YouTube and it looks really boring; both graphically and gameplay-wise. What am I missing? Is all you do just press a jump button periodically?

Totally addicted to Drop7 though.

If you're on a computer you can play it at www.canabalt.com.

Anybody seen this?

I know it's only FMV, but that looks absolutely gorgeous. According to Touch Arcade "The game is said to be structured as part side scrolling platformer and part comicbook with a heavy emphasis on the art and storyline." Sounds great to me. It gets released as four episodes, the first arriving in november.

Another vote for Skysmash from me, great little shooter and an absoloute steel at £0.59 :huh:

Now featured on the front page of the Apple App US Store too :D

Defender Chronicles updated to 1.3 but crashes for a lot of people. Something to do with save files whose size is a multiple of four, or something bizarre. Will be fixed soon, but if you download the update and it crashes, new version will fix your save file, so don't delete the app, just wait for the next update.

Apologies if already posted...

Cyan Worlds has released a free version of its classic 1993 puzzle adventure Myst on the iPhone.

Myst Free is restricted to the exploration of Myst Island, but still weighs in at a substantial 123MB - so that it can cram in all those haunting, static images.

If you want to explore the full five Ages of the original game, it's currently on sale and will only set you back £2.99.

Myst's relationship with Apple is a long one - it's that rare beast, a game that was originally released for Mac before PC. Although it has subsequently been ported to virtually every system you can imagine.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/myst-fre...eased-on-iphone

Beneath a Steel Sky Remastered out Friday

Fans of the classic graphic adventure genre are in for a treat this Friday with the release of Beneath a Steel Sky - Remastered for iPhone and iPod touch.

Priced £2.99, Beneath a Steel Sky – Remastered brings the 1994 classic bang up to date for Apple’s handhelds, with all-new illustrations and animations provided by Watchmen co-creator Dave Gibbons, a new interface designed for touch input, a brand new hint system, and digitally remastered art and sound.

Beneath a Steel Sky – Remastered is the first title from Charles Cecil’s Revolution Pocket division, which aims to bring classic and original titles to formats supporting digital distribution.

"Beneath a Steel Sky was the title that put Revolution Software on the global map, and we're delighted to be able to bring the game to an entirely new audience," said Charles Cecil, MD, Revolution Software. "Revisiting the game after all these years has enabled us to rediscover it anew, and the fact it remains as absorbing as ever is a testament to the team's original design and vision."

Cecil added: "… hopefully this is just the start of Pocket Revolution’s own adventures on handheld."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/beneath_a_s...out_friday.html

Defender Chronicles updated to 1.3 but crashes for a lot of people. Something to do with save files whose size is a multiple of four, or something bizarre. Will be fixed soon, but if you download the update and it crashes, new version will fix your save file, so don't delete the app, just wait for the next update.

The new level is also insanely difficult. Or maybe I've just not got it right yet. The ghost things are a bitch.

Ah right. I thought it went back up ages ago, or did it get taken down a second time? Or am I just making stuff up?

It went up. Langdell contacted them, they took it down voluntarily. Langdell was being unreasonable, so they put it back up. Langdell contacted Apple directly, Apple took it down and have now put it back up.

Dr Awsome is free at the moment, seems quite fun, motion controlled Jezzball with style ripped off from Phoenix Wright. Would annoy me normally but it's too comically blatant here to bother me.

A surgeon named Awesome? It can only be

Captain_Awesome.jpg

Anyway, had a quick go. It uses names in your contact book for names of patients. My first patient turned out to be my local hospital <_<

Beneath a Steel Sky is shaping up to be a good game. There's a nice animated opening bit of story, which I presume wasn't in the original. The controls work, each scene having 'hotspots' that can be interacted with in a variety of ways. There's a hint system and a walkthrough for each scene, and instructions regarding the control system. Having never played the game before, I was expecting a cyberpunk type vibe, but it's actually closer in look to 40's and 50's sci fi, which is cool. Not too far in, but I think I'm going to enjoy it.

I presume there were character voices in the original? Good selection of British regional accents so far.

Not played either tbh. If you keep a finger pressed, it'll show every hotspot on the screen that you can interact with. When you press a hotspot, actions that you can perform are displayed as icons which you can then press. There are additional icons in each corner for settings, inventory etc. To use an item, you simply drag an item from the inventory to the hotspot - it all feels quite intuitive and easy to use.