IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

Fuck, I paid £19.99 for Scrabble on the DS!

Yep. iPhone games have a real habit of making a lot of DS titles look like the overpriced tat they always were, whilst the DS titles which are piles of mini games (or things like 42 classics/club house) suddenly look like amazing value next to the iPhone store, where each mini game would sell separately.

Eliss requires 2.2.1, I'm in the same situation, jailbroken and couldn't be arsed faffing about when 3.0 is around the corner. If you try and download it directly on the phone it won't let you.

But the good news is that the recently released update (which I noticed not long after posting in here!) actually makes it compatible with 2.2 - so no waiting or faffing required now!

Only had one quick go on it so far - not massively impressed, but will give it a proper go soon. It could do with better instructions I think - wasn't entirely sure what I was meant to be doing with it!

But even £6 is a decent price for a solid, incredibly well-presented game that works perfectly on the iPhone, online mode or not.

And there'd be so many cheaters playing, I suspect, it'd just be like playing the computer half the time anyway :P Between friends or other forumites would be nice though. It could always be implemented when the push notifications are here.

playing scrabble online is a waste of time - I know folks that do it often and they sit with web sites that make words for you ... defeats the purpose.

Yep. iPhone games have a real habit of making a lot of DS titles look like the overpriced tat they always were, whilst the DS titles which are piles of mini games (or things like 42 classics/club house) suddenly look like amazing value next to the iPhone store, where each mini game would sell separately.

Puzzlemaniak's good for that. 20 logic games in one for 2.99.

Not all that surprising seeing as mobile games have fit that description very well for at least the last five years. :P

Ah, but with mobile phone games you've got to contend with the 87% chance it'll be entirely unplayable using a mobile phone keypad. With the iPhone, that figure is down to around 63%. So, erm, yeah.

But the good news is that the recently released update (which I noticed not long after posting in here!) actually makes it compatible with 2.2 - so no waiting or faffing required now!

Only had one quick go on it so far - not massively impressed, but will give it a proper go soon. It could do with better instructions I think - wasn't entirely sure what I was meant to be doing with it!

I thank you.

whilst the DS titles which are piles of mini games (or things like 42 classics/club house) suddenly look like amazing value next to the iPhone store, where each mini game would sell separately.

Since getting an iPod touch, I've pretty much spent my time building a game library to mimic the trusty old 42 All Time Classics on the DS! It really is the best kind of stuff to play on a little handheld you can take anywhere. No way I would play action games on a handheld with no buttons or D pad! But puzzle/poker/board games are perfect.

As mentioned, Need for Speed Undercover is a gorgeous game. The backdrops are very well done, as are the car models. The use of effects for speed, like such blur and motion lines are very cool. There are moments in the game that are astounding to look at -- I really do think that Need for Speed Undercover looks (and plays) better on the iPhone than on the PSP. That's a pleasing achievement.

:)

Flashback being released was a bit of a surprise. Also, Terminator Salvation is up.

The fuck, sorry what? THE Flashback? I was just wondering why that wasn't on Live Arcade and the like, so that's a sale (and, just so the corporations know, it will be when it's on Live Arcade as well).

What?! the pixel perfect jumps required with a joystick were bad enough - on a touch screen? Yuck.

games, eh? Drop7 - Pain in the arse and slightly random sometimes, but very moreish anyway :)

I had wondered that, but are we remembering it right? Surely it was all done in blocks, so you could activate the jump anywhere in the block to get it right. For three quid, it's worth the risk, so I'll let you know.

Need a Lite version before I can comment further on Drop7.

Heh! Just fucking shitty when you have a line of 1s build up and you're almost at the top. Do you play any other mode outside of Hardcore?

Yeah, no kidding! That's half the fun in a way, trying to keep everything level so you can knock the 1 ones off.

I mainly play Hardcore but Normal has its place. Doesn't really get going until level 10 and can be boring getting there but it ramps up then.

Stay clear of Championship Manager, its a complete mess. The UI is so messy its untrue.

Yeah, it's an unbelievably crap UI.

I've just picked up MYFC as it's on sale, I'm going to have a go in a mo, but the UI is already 16328372% better than Champ Man.

Sentinel looks great (albeit cheesy) and plays well. Love the online scoreboards and the ability to listen to your own music whilst playing (which Fieldrunners doesn't support. It's a third of the price, but i'd find it hard to recommend over Fieldrunners or possibly even GeoDefence. Mind you, I only played GeoDefence Lite.

Slightly disappointed in an all-round excellent purchase. Odd.