rllmuk
Scog

The iOS gaming thread

Was waiting off, but decided to take the plunge and pay £1.99 for Kingdom Rush Frontiers. Considering how much time I sank into the first one and how much enjoyment it gave me (plus I think i got it on a sale), holding out for Frontiers to be any cheaper just felt a bit tight in the end. I mean, I don't think twice about buyign a pint for £5 in London, but I'm particular about games prices less than half of that. Anyway, turns out to be money hugely well spent - i really enjoy the series and the visuals and have already had at least a half-pint's worth of fun from it :)

Ha, exactly this! I got KR for free a while back and absolutely loved it so having been mulling over the huge(!) $4.99 for KRF for ages. Finally realised how ridiculous that was and purchased last night. Tis a great game. :)

• Upvote 1

Small World 2 is out and is fantastic.

It's a comprehensive update to the original app, but well worth buying if you're into boardgames.

If you fancy beating me, my GC tag is 'Kramer.'

Ookibloks stomps over the rather cynical cash grab that is PvZ2 for me. Not only does it play well and feel genuinely fresh, it's game that fills you with utter joy, like some of the most colorful games of old, something we don't see enough of these days. Unlike PvZ2 it doesn't attempt to grab your cash at every turn, the ads aren't intrusive at all. I still bought a coin pack though, not because I got tired of the ads, but as a way of showing support.

• Upvote 1

Ookibloks is lovely and all but I don't see how PvZ2 is a 'cynical cash grab' - I've played though much of it and you'd have to be crazy to spend money on any of it.

• Upvote 1

Ooki Blocks is ace. Nice visuals, slick controls and really good sound design. I'll buy a coin pack later to show my appreciation.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely, it's really good. The way that extra options become available after each successful run is a great idea as well.

Quoting to put it on the new page :-

Hello.

My IGF nominated, cute, manic action puzzle game is finally out, please, please download it and give it a try..

I did the art, design and music...

Ookibloks is live! Go play! its free!!

Get it here!

Manic action puzzles!

punch a shark in the face!

Funky beats!

Missile launching chimps!

daily challenges!

Billions of bananas!

Farting ghost cats!

Tim Rogers tweeted about it:

@108: oh god: ookibloks is great. everybody should play this! https://t.co/BxvEahHHjW get it for your kids -- and your self (for iOS)

• Upvote 3

Ookibloks is lovely and all but I don't see how PvZ2 is a 'cynical cash grab' - I've played though much of it and you'd have to be crazy to spend money on any of it.

Perhaps it was poor wording on my part, but I really dislike that constant barage of 'this is now discounted', ' please buy this' in PvZ2. Haven't paid for anything, but the game really wants you to and to me it reflects in the design as well. Getting all the stars with the just the standard power-ups becomes a massive challenge without grinding for those specials you can activate.

I don't know, I much rather paid for an experience like the first PvZ.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps it was poor wording on my part, but I really dislike that constant barage of 'this is now discounted', ' please buy this' in PvZ2. Haven't paid for anything, but the game really wants you to and to me it reflects in the design as well. Getting all the stars with the just the standard power-ups becomes a massive challenge without grinding for those specials you can activate.

I've not found it massively challenging and the 'grinding' equates to replaying levels with different criteria which is where the meat of the game is anyway. I'm enjoying it at any rate.

I don't know, I much rather paid for an experience like the first PvZ.

I couldn't agree less. I've not felt even remotely hassled to buy anything and indeed have played for many, many hours without making a single purchase.

It's a much better game than the first IMO. Better looking, and much more of a challenge. Getting the stars is tough but do-able with the right strategy. I don't think I even failed a level in PvZ.

I agree with all of that but I think the first has much more variety, and is a tad more fun for that alone.

Rllmuk is on a roll!

Strategos and I have a game that just came out on iOS:-

Wingsuit Pro

I did the art stuff and level design, Strategos did the coding, we have a third guy who did the interface and the boring app submission stuff.

The free version came out on Android back in March and, to our surprise and delight, took off and currently stands at 1.6million installs with a 4.88/5 score average.

Hope you guys like it.

Wingsuit Pro on itunes here!

Note to self: add an itunes/iOS graphic to the end of the video!

• Upvote 5

Ooh brilliant, been waiting to check this out, downloading now!

EDIT: It's great! First Person view is flipping terrifying...if you want to score any points! :quote:

• Upvote 1

Much easier to control on iPhone than pad, but the pad is like you are really there.

I've had a bug on the phone, I got to about 6.5km and my chute came out, and it told me I had died.

Pity, as I was on an amazing run! I went down the right side of the course on the first level if that's any help.

• Upvote 1

Loved the first game to bits & purchased all the expansions so I got Where's My Water 2 immediately. I can ignore most of the IAP's but I'm not sure if the energy meter thing that limits your playtime is an annoyance or a good idea. It helps ration out the game so I don't run through it to fast.

I've had a bug on the phone, I got to about 6.5km and my chute came out, and it told me I had died.

Pity, as I was on an amazing run! I went down the right side of the course on the first level if that's any help.

Found out that this isn't a bug, it was me touching the screen without realising! :blush:

• Upvote 1