rllmuk
Scog

The iOS gaming thread

oh my gawd

ipad.sarien.net

police quest, space quest 1 and two, kings quest 1-3, and the black cauldron all formatted especially for the ipad. It's like going back to my teenage years where Sierra and Lucasarts were the shit when it came to point and click adventure.

Is there supposed to be any sound?

I see that CAVE's shooters are on sale this week:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Bug+Princess+2/news.asp?c=53025&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PocketGamerLatestAdditionsiphone+%28Pocket+Gamer+-+Latest+additions+%28iPhone%29%29

Which would be the best on iPhone 4? Ideally one that's universal in case I get an iPad in the future.

I think Espgaluda II is one of the more accessible ones thanks to it's difficulty settings and auto-guard option (which activates your shield when you're at risk of being hit, rather than you activating it manually), but Deathsmiles is my favourite at the moment. :)

Other than Peggle (which is fucking amazing) I've been playing a wee game called Slingshot Racing today. It's a top down racer in the style of Super Skidmarks except the cars/sleds corner by attaching a rope to poles Batman The Movie style. You touch to attach, release to let go, it's very satisfying to nail a run of perfectly flowing corners.

Looks nice aswell

03-slingshot-racing.jpg

Anyone played any decent hook games recently? Hook Champ was amazing but the sequals less so.

• Upvote 2

Not related, but you've just made me think - with more physics capbility for the next gen consoles, I hope we see more games with swinging grappling hooks. Tribes Vengeance did it years ago and it was great fun, but very crude - I think you could do awesome things with that now.

Plants vs Zombies 2 is finally released tomorrow for those of us that didn't get it for the Australian store.

Other than Peggle (which is fucking amazing) I've been playing a wee game called Slingshot Racing today. It's a top down racer in the style of Super Skidmarks except the cars/sleds corner by attaching a rope to poles Batman The Movie style. You touch to attach, release to let go, it's very satisfying to nail a run of perfectly flowing corners.

Looks nice aswell

03-slingshot-racing.jpg

Anyone played any decent hook games recently? Hook Champ was amazing but the sequals less so.

Ta for the heads up with slingshot racing.

Super Stickman Golf 2 update is live! The new courses are rather painful at times, gonna be fun trying to Clean Ball and Gold Star all eight of them.

Only problem is they don't seem to have fixed balance issue for buying the previous hats via the lottery, only for the new ones. Still hundreds of Bux to get a guaranteed hat, I don't think I'll have enough even with the new courses and achievements. Bit churlish to grumble with such a good cheap game, but they said they would fix this.

I see that CAVE's shooters are on sale this week:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Bug+Princess+2/news.asp?c=53025&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PocketGamerLatestAdditionsiphone+%28Pocket+Gamer+-+Latest+additions+%28iPhone%29%29

Which would be the best on iPhone 4? Ideally one that's universal in case I get an iPad in the future.

The two Bug Princess / Mushihimesama games are my favourite, particularly the first one. Not HD on an iPad but still look great IMO.

PvZ2 seems really grindy.

Ugh, but it's exactly what I want and need from a 5 minute a pop phone game! Why aren't they charging me money for this? I'm not going to pay for their short-cuts, i'm going to grind the fuck out of it.

PvZ2 seems really grindy.

Extremely so. Made it to the end of the first world, ready to have a go at the next, but no, I need to go back and replay levels until I get 11 more stars which I had no chance of getting on my first time through. And I could be wrong, but it seems that you can only access some plants by paying.

That sounds disappointing. :( The Edge review made a repeated point of how generous & ungrindy it was for a free-to-play game, so PopCap must have rebalanced it since, inevitably. Just let me willingly pay for the whole game from the start, you bastards.

Extremely so. Made it to the end of the first world, ready to have a go at the next, but no, I need to go back and replay levels until I get 11 more stars which I had no chance of getting on my first time through. And I could be wrong, but it seems that you can only access some plants by paying.

Yeah, including the Snowpea which I would class as one of the basic fundamental plants.

Think you are being a bit unfair on PvZ2. Its not that grindy at all, the levels are fun to replay with the different rulesets. Its not like you have to replay exactly the same levels to progress. As for the plants that you can purchase - they are by no means essential. I agree with the Eurogamer review that is a sentimental reason to criticise the game for blocking the old plants as there are new alternatives.

Eurogamer review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-16-plants-vs-zombies-2-review

A heck of a lot of kids played the original PvZ. Do you think they're going to all happily accept mum and dad saying "you don't need those plants, just use the ones you don't have to pay for"?

And yes, the levels have different rulesets, but they're essentially the same levels with the same waves of zombies, you just have to use fewer plants, or position them slightly differently. In fact, for the most part you can just place Bonk Choys behind Wall-Nuts, use any Plant Food you collect on bolstering that defensive wall, and you're laughing.

Don't get me wrong, underneath it all it's still mostly a fun game and the new stuff offers an extra layer of strategy. But the way it's structured (not to mention the frequent adverts for "30% off [x item]!") doesn't sit well with me.

• Upvote 1

How far have you played out of interest? Past the first world? I found it got more interesting after that.

Played almost all of it. It does improve after the first world, simply because you have more plants and you can mix it up a bit (I'd use the above tactic as a pretty regular failsafe, mind). My point still stands. I think if it was anyone but PopCap, it wouldn't be getting quite such an easy ride. Yes, it uses IAP better than a great many F2P games, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

I've not cleared the first world yet and have happily clocked up a couple of hours and haven't paid anything.

I'll be happy to pay money for a PvZ game, but I'll do that with the 3d shooter.

Right now I haven't paid a penny for hours of entertainment, and a superior experience to the prequel I did pay money for.

Nabbed Pivvot no1 record on hardest difficulty (beserk) :D. Nice take on the Super Hexagon genre (this needs a proper name). Voyage mode teaches you the patterns which is great in theory but really dull to play in practice. Beserk mode has a lot more random in it I believe which makes it far more interesting though it's still a little simple and the difficulty doesn't increase. Once you've nailed it you could go on indefinitely...

• Upvote 2

Loving PVZ2. Sure, I've now got to go back and collect a load of stars to progress to the third world (so to speak) but I wouldn't call it a grind. The star challenges are the best part and not at all repetitive thanks to the varying tactics required.

Some will be happy to pay to unlock the worlds for £2.99, and that's fine too with the game being as good as it is, but they're really only paying to experience LESS.

I was prepared to pay for something out of respect for the developers, when a "oh shit, a yeti appeared in this old level, and he's going to drop great loot!" alert popped up I paid for the cheapest amount of coins to boost my sunflowers early on. It made the level piss easy and super unsatisfying; all I got was a single gate key.

Ho-hum. I've now paid for the game in my eyes. Won't be paying a penny more.

I think this whole debate around the pricing structure of PVZ2 is really interesting. I can't remember how much I paid for the first game on iOS but I basically ended up wandering what all the fuss was about - the same strategy works in every single level of the "campaign". I kept thinking, the next section will be getting trickier, but it never did (there was that strobe light level but that was just irritating). I never got far into the challenges though, given how they were tucked away in the menus.

I much prefer this set up, the integration of challenges for stars works well and the endless waves level is a nice addition (and can be used to generate cash). I've already had to mix things up far more than before. Maybe some of the power ups are a bit cheap though because they give you a quick fix to something you overlooked.

I'm not bothered about missing plants X,Y or Z and I don't intend to purchase any of them. The adverts for items after completing a level are crass but its not really a biggie, I've got used to it now, to the extent it's a pleasure to find a game which doesn't feature a "buy more coins" type option at all and is totally wysiwyg. In short, I think I'm going to enjoy this game much more than the first one and not spend a penny on it. Clearly, though, the developer must be confident that general goodwill around the IP, or impatience with progress given the new structure, will yield a better revenue stream than setting a one off price. I guess many people will happily pay for flowers they use a lot, and will probably end up losing track of their spending, thus subsidising skinflints such as myself. They must have done a load of focus testing I Imagine. So far, my "impulse" spending on IAPs amounts to the princely sum of 69p on Scallywags (and I actually resent that because it was pretty much do that or lose a huge amount of time). I 've also purchased new characters in BG and Warhammer but to me that's not quite the same thing, more like dlc or developer support.

I do worry this trend is going to move over and invade console gaming too. I'm really interested in Project Spark for example, but that will be FTP, and it's completely new territory for me as a genre, so I have I idea what I might need to buy in game.

Zok is correct when stating Tilt to Live is the best iPhone game.

That is all.

Quoting a post from the past here but I still can't get enough of Tilt to Live. To me it's like the Tetris of the iPhone, so easy to just pick up and play any time without growing tiresome. Very well balanced game indeeeeeeeed.

Anyone got any decent high scores on it?

I've just got 9,714,482 on the classic mode. (well it was good for me anyways)