The iOS gaming thread

Scog

Just a heads-up that the new Deus Ex game is out, but doesn't run on Ipad2, and also won't work on jailbroken devices.

I expect I'm taking one for the team here, but I couldn't help myself and set this off to download before leaving for work, will report back when I've had a chance to be disappointed.

Seems like a perfectly sensible thing to do to me. If the way to play pirated games is to jailbreak your phone, you make your game unplayable on a jailbroken phone.

Whether that affects people who jailbreak their phones and don't pirate games is an irrelevance.

Seems like a perfectly sensible thing to do to me. If the way to play pirated games is to jailbreak your phone, you make your game unplayable on a jailbroken phone.

Whether that affects people who jailbreak their phones and don't pirate games is an irrelevance.

It's not really, though. There are methods of detecting whether a copy of an app is pirated or not; if they were using something like that, I'd wholeheartedly support them. But this is just lazy and crude.

The logic that jailbreakers = pirates just boils my piss, frankly. I've always jailbroken because it improves the functionality of my device; I don't pirate software because I'm not a twat.

So your attitude is that somebody who makes software should leave it open to piracy because it's convenient for you, rather than closing that obvious loophole because it's convenient for them?

Surely the logic is simply jailbreakers=far more likely to be pirates, and ignoring that as an app developer makes you rather foolish.

Nope, but it's a bit like buying a game legitimately, trying to install it on a laptop that you've chosen to install Linux on instead of windows, and being told that you can't fire your guns because the developer regards Linux as an insecure platform and therefore you might be a pirate so nerr.

I mean, obviously it's not like that at all, because of many reasons, but it's late.

Nope, but it's a bit like buying a game legitimately, trying to install it on a laptop that you've chosen to install Linux on instead of windows, and being told that you can't fire your guns because the developer regards Linux as an insecure platform and therefore you might be a pirate so nerr.

Except installing Linux doesn't normally give you an end run around the entire games catalogue's DRM. Unless I'm *really* using the wrong kind of Linux.

£2.99 for KoTOR is mental! Being able to play games like this and Baldur's Gate in bed on a hi-res touch screen is even better than the future I eagerly anticipated in my teens! Except for the silver foil catsuits.

Unfortunately no. Like softmodding a lot of people just do it to be able to do more with their device. Until there's a way to jailbreak that doesn't allow piracy, collateral damage like this will happen.

Is piracy widespread? Genuine question. My iPad's been jailbroken purely for xbmc for years now and I wasn't even aware you could pirate games. Given how cheap and easy the AppStore is I'd be surprised if piracy on IOS was a significant issue. Depressing if it was, certainly.