IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

So, what's everyone's top 3 games on the iPhone? I'm getting one tomorrow and will definitely buy Rolando 2, Zen Bound, Space Invaders Infinity Gene and Flight Control, and maybe Monkey Island and Real Racing. But I'd like to know if I'm missing some essential stuff.

Orbital

Pinball Fantasies

HR Battle

... are my most played games. I've got Real Racing, Monkey Island, Flight Control etc and about 400 other games, but these three are the ones that I come back to time and time again.

In 1984-style, I've chose the Bears! Who are considered the good teams/players now? I've heard of Brett Favre, but not really anyone else.

The Patriots/Saints/Colts have awesome passing offenses; the Vikings/Panthers/Falcons have fantastic running games. The Eagles are quite good and balanced all round. The Ravens and Steelers have great defenses.

The Patriots/Saints/Colts have awesome passing offenses; the Vikings/Panthers/Falcons have fantastic running games. The Eagles are quite good and balanced all round. The Ravens and Steelers have great defenses.

Great, I'll try those teams out. Thanks a lot.

Not too much from a gaming point of view (some have high score tables and that, which you'd need a wifi connection for on the iPod Touch). But personally, I think the iPod Touch is a bit of a waste of the tech. It has a fabulous web browser that you can use virtually anywhere if you have an iPhone, but only when you have a wifi connection with the iPod Touch. And not just that - you have Google Maps, Facebook apps, Twitter apps, streaming radio apps, brilliant newsgroup apps, and plenty of others that are much better when you have an 'anywhere' data connection. Unless you really do need the extra storage space, I would consider an iPhone first, if you can afford it.

Quick one lads. I can't decide wether to get an iPhone 3Gs or just keep my phone and gor for the new iPod Touch. Is there any difference from a game point of view?

I couldn't justify getting an iPhone so what I do is run JoikuSpot on my phone which means anytime I'm out and about and I want to use my iPod Touch to check the Internet I just connect to the 3G connection on my mobile. Although obviously it does mean you'll need a phone with a decent data plan.

Been playing Adrenaline Golf Online this weekend. Only bought it as it has fancy graphics on a 3GS and I wanted to see if it would crash my phone. (It did.)

Got a new phone at the Apple Store on Saturday, though, and it works now. It's pretty good, actually, with good controls and decent holes, but it doesn't have any camera controls, which in a mini golf game where the holes can be pretty complicated is a major omission.

Worth £1.19, I reckon, but it's not a must-buy by any means.

My nephew spends ages just messing about on Pocket God.

He likes Monster Trucks Nitro too as it's pretty easy. You can complete most races just holding the accelerate button. The challenge is in using the accelerometer to adjust your suspension which helps perfect your time, but it's easily ignorable if you just want to drive a monster truck.

Wolfenstein RPG goes a bit shit after the first couple of levels

Rather than skilful planning of your moves, using sidestepping and waiting to get the advantage over the enemies (like in the Doom RPG) it's all about quaffing dozens of health packs after each fight.

The enemies tend to pop-up from nowhere and completely fence you in, so you have no option but to stand there like a lemon, slug it out and chew health pack after health pack.

I think it's supposed to be played like that as I have nearly 50 health packs now. :P