The iOS gaming thread

Scog

I couldn't find reference to it here, but Retro racing is the fucking business. Top down racer, a bit like Megadrive micro machines, and it's got classic drift style handling, in the vein of c64 Grand Prix simulator. Powerups, choice of vehicles (that make a big difference) and Leaderboard track times. An excellent nostalgic blast.

I cant believe I am going to recomend this, but anyone tried Antique Road trip 2? Was free the other day and its like Say What You See only you need to find antiques by either following descriptions or direct requests. There are some little sub games too like finding all the stamps before you can collect the stamp collecting book.

It seems like there might be some more depth to it as well, but I have only played for 30mins or so thus far.

I couldn't find reference to it here, but Retro racing is the fucking business. Top down racer, a bit like Megadrive micro machines, and it's got classic drift style handling, in the vein of c64 Grand Prix simulator. Powerups, choice of vehicles (that make a big difference) and Leaderboard track times. An excellent nostalgic blast.

A-ha! Could this be the top down racer to scratch the itch I still have? To the app mobile!

Top tip, this rules!

Retro Racing is basically the Amiga version of Nitro (and specifically the 8-way scrolling Amiga version, rather than the vertical-only ST version) without the post-apocalypse setting and the questionably-legal Clint Eastwood / Stallone / Roger Moore cyborg avatars.

It's oh so close, but alas it is in portrait which makes it most uncomfortable on an ipad, and the controls can't be moved up the screen, which would improve matters a great deal. Good feel though.

It hurts even more on the iPhone, but I stuck with it, and it's a solid racer. It would be great if you could do some online multiplayer though.

Extraction is free at the moment- it's a top down Cannon Fodder-esque zombie shooter. It doesn't use dual sticks or any joysticks- instead you tap an empty space to move your guy, and swipe over enemies to target them- so you can sent up a queue of which order you want your little guy to attack them in and then concentrate on moving while he takes them out one by one. Good controls, allow for a decent series of run and gun and retreat tactics- more top down games should adopt this kind of considered control scheme.

Game gets better as it goes along and you unlock knew weapons, like automatic turrets and so on, and can start trying to distract the zombies while you get the drop on them. I thought I was pretty much through with top-down zombie games, but this one's different and lot better for it. Anyway, it's free right now... so... :)

Extraction_ScreenShot_iPad_01.jpg.jpg

I'd be really interested in a list of good games which allow you to continue playing your own music. Some (e.g. Tiger Woods 12) inexplicably cut your music off when the game starts, and then you have to build a playlist from your iTunes library, some actually ask you what your preference is if you have music playing (e.g. Homerun Battle) and others don't give you the option at all.

I realise this probably isn't important for many people, but my only time for iOS gaming and listening to music these days is on the train, and sometimes it's nice to combine both.

These games don't interrupt your music:

Angry Birds

Bejeweled

Digdug Remix

First Touch Soccer

Monopoly

Pinball Fantasies

Pacman

Q*Bert

Real Racing 2

Scrabble

Sonic The Hedgehog 1