The iOS gaming thread

Scog

I got 182 in Flight Control yesterday.

A little bit of sex wee came out.

Did you make a pact and sell your soul to Mephistopheles? As that's the only way that score is possible.

Just downloaded Doom. It's ok but it does take place on rails - you can't control your character's movement. Pricey too at 5.99. Ah well back to more megadrive Sonic and Golden Axe :angry:

That's the shit version - Doom Resurrection.

John Carmack is porting the original Doom, I think it's out fairly soon.

Back of an envelope calculation suggests you'd have to clear somewhere between 35,000 and 75,000 sales at 59p to cover a game like that, though that doesn't allow any provision for advertising.

It's a simplistic view- not taking account of the IP or reusable assets, but I think that's approximately the economics for the development in isolation?

I think they reduced Peggle to wacky price to try and get it into the top spot in the listings, because things tend to stick there. Doesn't seem like that's happened... Flight Control is back at 1st, and most of the chart is 59p - presumably that's the power of basement price.

Am liking Go Go Rescue a lot- it's a clever little game, though I found the controls a bit fiddly at first (natural now)... I expect that might put the casual market off a bit.

We've also release it on Mobile and there's a PC version so the dev cost is split. It'd be nice to get enough iPhone sales to warrant the sequel!

Guest JDLWL

Searched, but couldn't find anything on this.

Anyone play Vans Pool service? It's pretty decent game, but i can't get the multiplier going in a timed run.

Any ideas. Also on the lookout for any other decent skate games for the iphone.

I bought Toki Tori and Flight Control last night. I've not clicked with Toki Tori yet, it's nice enough and for 59p you can't really go wrong, but I'm not sure how often I'll return to it.

Flight Control however, it's like gaming crack! So simple but it's awesome!

Peggle's been sitting unloved, mostly due to the fact I've also got it on XBLA.

Let's Golf is brilliant, really impressed by it and it's getting the most attention out of all my games.

What I'd really like to see is a release of Lumines.

New stuff? Grunts seems worth the 59p (only one level in, mind) and I'll be picking up F.A.S.T. this evening as it's down to £1.19 for the 4th of July. Nothing celebrates independence more than KILLING PEOPLE WITH BADASS PLANES.

I'll be getting Rolando 2, but not til I complete Rolando 1.

Oh, and MUST.EAT.BIRDS. is much fun for short bursts of stupidity.

Anyone else having major trouble getting MUST.EAT.BIRDS to run even after various restarts and force quits of Safari etc?

Heh I was just about to post the same!

It's flaky as fuck - I had to reboot my iPhone in order to play it. not good 2/10

Had a quick blast on Rolando 2 at lunch. It's good, it's very good ^_^

The 2.5D graphics are lovely lovely. However, it did seem a bit weird the way the Rolandos appear to 'sink in to the floor' a bit - like they're rolling in mud or something.

I almost feel like deleting that last comment now I've written it, it seems ridiculous saying anything even remotely negative about this game. Buy it now! (Or buy it later, it might come down to £3.49 like the original did. But buy it.)

I still haven't played the original properly. It came across as a Loco Roco clone, that wasn't as good as Loco Roco.

I still haven't got round to finishing Rolando but it's only similar in that it steals the art style and that round things roll along a 2D plane.

The way I look at it is that LocoRoco is more of an action game, that has little in the way of puzzling (much like the early Sonic games) whereas Rolando is more of slower paced puzzle game. I mean, obviously it's lifted a lot from LocoRoco but it's certainly not an out-and-out clone.

Just a heads-up that the remake of classic action-boardgame Archon is half price at the moment - by all accounts it's meant to be completely faithful to the original, and multiplayer is supposed to be forthcoming, so worth a look (that being said, I'll be giving it a miss as I absolutely cannot stand the virtual D-Pad in any games, and doubt Archon'll be any different in its action sequences).

Sega Colums/Puyo Pop is free for this weekend only.

It makes me feel nostalgic for my GameGear.

Worth downloading for free, I suppose.

I bought it in all the excitement, not long after the App Store was released and before it had any reviews, and it was fucking shit.