The iOS gaming thread

Scog

Given my user name came from this game, I grabbed this as soon as it was out. It was pretty good actually and improved when they released a controls update. I think it might be better suited to the ipad, though. Thanks for the reminder, I'll give it a try on ipad when I get home tonight.

I'm giving it a go based on your recommendation, I love games like this. If it's crap you owe me £1.79. :quote:

:)

Yeah, it's impressive for sure. The game itself could be worse, but for me it's dull and very plain. For 59p, eh, what is their to complain about Gameloft's engine is ridiculously good. Though I will say that their Resi 5 clone, Zombie Infection, is a lot more fun as it has more depth in both combat and overall structure.

But then they have two thousand Chinese dudes on the ol' outsourcing, so fuck them.

I've always played console or handheld versions of Sim City, though, so I'm used to cackhanded Sim City. This seems fine. Never had a problem and I've played it a lot.

Ridge has an update - 4 new tracks (well, 2) and new cars.

I hated it on iPhone at first, due to the initial release, but with the touch controls and they've added free content, it's proper Ridge again.

Needs online times though.

And following up...

I took the plunge and am really impressed with this - there is a propensity for slowdown on my 3g (especially if I've been busy doing other stuff with the phone before playing) but when it works it's excellent. The d-pad works pretty much perfectly.

Words With Friends paid version is currently 59p. Anyone who doesn't already own it (what are you, mental?) must download it now.

Also, Daredevil Dave - an interesting looking ragdoll motorbike stunt game - is free today. Get you Evel Knievel vibe on.

Anyone tried Eliminate Gun:Range? It's 59p and is the first game to use the iPhone 4 Gyroscope! iPhone 4 only and uses retina display graphics also. Not had chance to try it, but at 59p it'll be worth it to try out the gyro :(

Anyone tried Eliminate Gun:Range? It's 59p and is the first game to use the iPhone 4 Gyroscope! iPhone 4 only and uses retina display graphics also. Not had chance to try it, but at 59p it'll be worth it to try out the gyro :(

I had a play with this last night, great fun and the gyro makes all the difference. If you haven't done so already, check out real racing, they've updated the graphics and controls for iPhone 4, the steering is absolutely fantastic now it's done through the gyro. I'm really looking forward to seeing what devs come up with for it.

I just got the free version this morning. Where has this game been all my life? It's brilliant.

What's the difference between free and paid anyway, is it just the ads in between turns?

It's just the ads, yes. Once you get into it, and have many simultaneous games on the go, you won't resent paying to get rid of the ads. It really is one of those games that is just perfect on the iPhone.

My shmup recommendation of the week, from the guys behind iFighter, currently on sale at 59p...

[yt]54tpuvMqAfc[/yt]

The developers are obviously big Raystorm and Gradius fans.

Controls not as tight as Espgalada II but still decent, and for a tenth of the price it's a steal.

Never really used my Iphone for gaming, except for the occasional Minesweeper. But then a friend lured me into the world of Pocket Legends, which I must say is a really nice little gem of a game. So I was wondering, are there even better games in that genre available?

What are the 14 games?

Ad Astra, Android Two, Barmy Burgers, Bugaboo the Flea, Chuckie Egg, Deathchase, Fantastic Voyage, Fred, Horace Goes Skiing, Manic Miner, Rescate del Tesoro, Starstrike 3D, Trashman, and Wheelie.

Bugaboo the Flea, Chuckie Egg, Deathchase, Fred, Horace Goes Skiing, Manic Miner, Starstrike 3D, Trashman, and Wheelie.

I played the crap out of these ones from that list, and I remember almost buying Horace Goes Skiing on Microdrive, but it was 15 quid... and I didn't have a Microdrive at the time.

Anybody played Grokion? It's 59p at the moment and looks a very accomplished Metroid rip-off:

[yt]ENOMqPVl5Ms[/yt]

Only the difficulty gripes in the reviews are putting me off (yes I know it's only 59p :D). Not quite sure how it would control either.

Can anyone reccommend a decent rundown of the general "top" games? Google shows me a billion articles from sites I've never heard of and the only sites I know with something similar are tech blogs or the websites of tech magazines, and I've read t3's console and game reviews before and scoffed at their retarded opinions based on how much fun they have and not who developed it or how rich said developers history of 2d shooters is.