Scog

The iOS gaming thread

Currently stuck trying to find out the last two monsters I need to evolve my Batman. I hope it's not stuff from the Batman collab.

I believe the majority of evolving materials come from normal dungeons (the rarer ones are in the much harder ones) and the daily dungeons in the week. Some of which are pretty stacked against players depending on what you have available... quite an evil system but I am still rather addicted to it now.

P & D

Im level 26 already as well :) Even though I don't play much.

Currently using

Level 20 Naga -> delays enemies attacks

Level 21 Samruai Ogre

Level 18 Ruby Carbuncle - 500 heal

Level 15 White dragon - small damage attack to all

Level 19 - blood Demon - high damage single attack

Wtf do I do with a Present Egg ?

P & D

Wtf do I do with a Present Egg ?

Evolve it into a monster. The monster is quite tanky as a leader if you need it. Otherwise, feed it enough xp to max and then feed it to something else for 1.5 million xp (careful which you choose to do this to as a lot of the beginning creatures will max out much earlier, see puzzledragonx.com for details of which ones require a lot of xp or there's the PADguide if you have an ios device that will list all monsters, how to evolve and what the max level and xp to get there).

The eyes are the best bit about it.

Fittingly it seems to have been the 'best' freebie in what has been the worst 12 Days of Christmas app giveaway in living memory.

agreed with that, what a crappy 12 days that was. I think I bothered downloading one of the other days out of idle curiosity, can't even remember what it was now.

Oh yeah, that was it! Not so much out of curiosity as nostalgia then, but I haven't actually watched it (this time). And I got it when it went free about a day before the 12 days thing actually updated, so I didn't know at the time it was a gift from Apple. Oh well!

The eyes are the best bit about it.

Fittingly it seems to have been the 'best' freebie in what has been the worst 12 Days of Christmas app giveaway in living memory.

What exactly don't you like about it? I thought it was perfect one button twitch gaming.

It's just dull. There are tons of one button games that are great, but that isn't one of them. Go up, make a mistake, go down, go back up again. If that's your thing, that's your thing, but it's not mine.

Mr Crap. Geddit?!? :quote:

Yeah, it's really good isn't it? Not a million miles away from an updated Stunt Race FX in my mind. Shame that the servers are struggling somewhat, and I'd also really like an option to lose the HUD.

Yes, I'm not nuts about the flying bits personally, but the 'flat' races are stunning. Easily the best racer on ios that I've played, and runs smooth as silk (well, on an iPad 4 anyway). The track editor is a joy to use too.

Well worth paying for the full £2.99 IAP. I have been playing the Rocket Raceway track on medium for about forty minutes trying to get first place (on medium!) and it feels like F Zero X. That is just one of what appears to be a hundred tracks or so.

Yes, I'm not nuts about the flying bits personally, but the 'flat' races are stunning. Easily the best racer on ios that I've played, and runs smooth as silk (well, on an iPad 4 anyway). The track editor is a joy to use too.

Well worth paying for the full £2.99 IAP. I have been playing the Rocket Raceway track on medium for about forty minutes trying to get first place (on medium!) and it feels like F Zero X. That is just one of what appears to be a hundred tracks or so.

It does have a really amazing sense of speed but to me the platforming levels are what really makes this game. They seem even more difficult than in the first one if that's possible. With names like 'the grinder' and 'the scorpion' you know that they are going to chew you up and spit you out. I think I took over a hundred retries to beat one level on easy! Always have to have one more go though.

Slowly warming to the new cars and they will take some time getting used to.

I really hope they fix the server problems.

I really liked Mr Crab, although was rock hard.

However I am here to deliver my my review of Ridiculous Fishing after having played it for a few hours now.

Rubbish. Its a total grind, there is nothing interesting to buy after the first hour. What at first seemed skill based quickly became a boost to the bottom of the sea while only stopping briefly when you see a gap in the fish. the shooting bit is broing and goes on too long as well. Also some fish never seem to appear no matter how many times I go to the bottom of the ocean in question.

sorry guys, I really wanted to like this one, but clearly I am missing something. I even find the graphical style a bit off putting, all those triangles, eugh.

2/5

Look forward to trying Jet car Stunts though, I still play the original occasionally. Does the new one offer much more over and above that, or is it just more of the same?

Ridiculous Fishing is a kind of endless runner/score attack game, with a few levels to complete to get your kit up to scratch before you hit the final (endless) level; it sounds like you haven't got there though? You don't really need to play it for too long to get there, and I found myself getting better each time so when I did get to the final stage I had a fighting chance at least, it was like a stream of practice runs.

In that level you can't just abuse the boost because you want to save it for when it starts getting harder, but often you end up losing way before you've ran out of it :lol:. You can buy a knife too so if you fuck up you can cut your line and restart straight away without going through the catch fish/shoot them routine.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, not at the endless level, not sure I can be bothered to be honest. I actually went back to pocket miner last night which I suppose is kind of similar but find the mechanic more fun and it looks a lot more charming as well.

Top tips for Puzzles and Dragons

Login every single day. You don't have to do anything. Just login and claim your free pal points and cash. Quite often they run events with no warning that give you more pal points or magic stones. Also every 30 days you login you get 5 free magic stones too. At the very least running the app once a day gives you a big stash of pal points (And likely magic stones) for an event.

Save your pal points and magic stones. Unless you desperately need to expand your monster box save your magic stones to use during a godfest event. I've managed to get quite a few god characters that way. Pal points I'd save until the pal egg machine is having a king metal dragon event. They're stupidly good for levelling monsters. (50000 xp a pop)

Start slow. There's no point trying to rush through all the levels. You'll get smashed. Work your way through until you hit a wall and then start grinding at a point where you feel comfortable. That lets you get eggs and cash to further level or expand your team(s). A good starting strategy is to take whichever initial colour rare monster you got after the tutorial and build a mono team around it. That's a team where all the monsters are the same colour. Big advantage with this is the sheer amount of damage you do when you match the right colours but it does force you to learn how to play smarter earlier than with multi coloured teams.

Tricolour weekend dungeons. These seem to be most weekends and give stupidly nice amounts of cash. No egg drops but if you need to save up cash for levelling or evolving this is a good way to do it. Run the difficulty that suits your current team. I tend to run the second easiest and walk away with 30-50k gold a run. One nice thing about tricolour dungeons is the gem colour distribution for matches seems very even. It's rare I'm not able to make a good match for my mono team. Unlike a regular dungeon run where you need good strategies at times when running mono.

If you're really strapped for cash don't forget you can sell any monsters in your box that aren't assigned to a team

If you have three starter monsters that seem to be assigned but aren't in your team remember you have multiple teams and by default it's assigned those starting monsters to all of them. Just whip through and remove them from each and then you can do what you want with them.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, not at the endless level, not sure I can be bothered to be honest. I actually went back to pocket miner last night which I suppose is kind of similar but find the mechanic more fun and it looks a lot more charming as well.

But Pocket Miner has absolutely no purpose to it and no progression, Ridiculous fishing has a story, real characters(the in-game twitter is a really clever addition), true progression, game variety, and miniguns.

• Upvote 2

That's as maybe, but both Pocket Miner and Ridiculous Fishing are just different sides of the same coin...the endless, pointless grind.

What it comes down to with all these games is you either like their individual play mechanics or you don't. Everything else is window dressing really.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I see cartoons HD has been taken down and a fake advert spammer seized the opportunity to imitate it.

Oroginal download still seems to be working for now thankfully.