IGNORED

Max Payne 3 - Join the crew!

The Mighty Ash

8 minutes ago, Stevedave said:

Good game but not a Max Payne game. I was late to the party playing this, and it felt like it didn't belong with the previous games. 

New york city. Late night, snow = max payne. 

Instead it was sunny shirts and max wondering round airports. 

The flashbacks were crammed in after the reaction to the first trailer. 

Are you for real? Max running around airports? You mean that ONE TIME that it happened in the game, when THAT music kicks in, that thinking about still gives me goosebumps to this day? That part? 

I see...

4 hours ago, Simmy said:

Are you for real? Max running around airports? You mean that ONE TIME that it happened in the game, when THAT music kicks in, that thinking about still gives me goosebumps to this day? That part? 

I see...

That was an awesome moment but as a Max Payne game it was way left field. Same with wondering round a favela in a hawaiian shirt or the boat part. 

I enjoyed the lot, but they needed to make it a different IP or something. 

f916e2c7aa6b45018c2251793514e907.jpg

This is the Max Payne we wanted. Squinty faced cop fighting the italian mob. 

I think the divide with the Max Payne series is like that of the Resi crowd; some people want the old style (1-3) others preferred 4. Both are great but I've always thought when you move so far away from the original you might as well start a new ip.

1 minute ago, Stevedave said:

I think the divide with the Max Payne series is like that of the Resi crowd; some people want the old style (1-3) others preferred 4. Both are great but I've always thought when you move so far away from the original you might as well start a new ip.

On the other hand, if you handle it carefully you can use existing IP to reduce the risk of launching something a bit more original, like Nintendo do. 

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

On the other hand, if you handle it carefully you can use existing IP to reduce the risk of launching something a bit more original, like Nintendo do. 

That's true, but I think you've got all the lore to contend with in certain games which usually results in a divide in fanbase e.g. resi, this, mgs. 

Nintendo has more flexibility because they stick to basics; every game is like a rewritten version of the original. Maybe that's the way forward as it'd satisfy both fanbases. 

21 hours ago, Stevedave said:

That was an awesome moment but as a Max Payne game it was way left field. Same with wondering round a favela in a hawaiian shirt or the boat part. 

This ain't 2001 anymore. It had to evolve - MP3 was the evolution of that, old man in a tropical shirt battering the fuck out of people. Brilliance. 

21 hours ago, Stevedave said:

that's what got him 'retired' to south America in the first place, duh!

• 2 years later...

Yeah, it's fucking ace. I beat it about 6 times on Xbox then once again on PS3 for good measure. Still listen to the OST every now and again, it's really unique. 

Shame that such lesser games get the remastered treatment, though Rockstar seems almost embarrassed about it's history at this point. Manhunt, Max Payne, The Warriors, Bully, all seemingly consigned to history. 

I suppose when you can add a new hat to GTA V Multiplayer and create the same sort of revenue a re-release of those games could generate, they just don't give a fuck. 

stacey-malibu-new-hat.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread given the recent backwards compatibility update - for anyone who doesn't already have a physical copy (or it's somewhere you can't get to) get the game digitally whilst it's still available!

Whilst it was mildly annoying that the game only hit BC after the online servers shutdown in September, I loved it so much that I'm happily playing through Story mode again on Hard. Despite completing everything up to the penultimate level on New York Minute mode around 2013, I'm getting my arse absolutely handed to me and I'm wondering how much of it is to my skills atrophying over the past 8 years of not playing and how much is due to age.

I do want to finish New York Minute mode eventually and maybe even New York Minute Hardcore mode too, but at the same time the prospect of trying to complete the entire game without dying and with a time limit constantly hanging over my head is not something I think I would find enjoyable (much like trying to finish Dead Space 2 with only 3 saves in Hardcore mode).

Has anyone here managed with New York Minute or even New York Minute Hardcore?

I've just finished a replay too, on hardcore after a 9 year gap between achievements (well not strictly true as i played the ps3 version a few years back for good measure) 

It was difficult as pretty much every hit will put you in last man standing but outside of a few sticking points it wasn't too bad. Having a much bigger TV than in 2012 probably helped especially during those last stand moments where you are pixel fishing who actually shot you. I did New York Minute back in 2012 but can't remember any of it. I've done everything with the exception of New York Minute hardcore .. maybe one day 

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Max-Payne-3/achievements?gamerid=2833

• 2 months later...

I started a replay of this to see if I can get back in practice to finish New York Minute. My replay is up to the Imperial Hotel whilst my New York Minute run hit a sticking point on the penultimate level. I kind of want to do New York Minute Hardcore, but having to complete the entire game without failing in a single setting is just nuts.