Max Payne 3 - Join the crew!

The Mighty Ash

So any tips for not getting murderererered?

I've just done the stadium and it was skin of your teeth, praying for more pills all the way.

If I cover, they just quickly flank (or shot the cover and get me with splash) and BT isn't up enough to kill before they return fire.

Really cool vid, Woo. Living up to your username. ;)

:lol:

I wish, that was my third or fourth go trying to do it without dying! :D I was using the dualshock 4 as well and it's just lovely, it works really well with it even if my preferred method is m/kb for MP3.

So any tips for not getting murderererered?

I've just done the stadium and it was skin of your teeth, praying for more pills all the way.

If I cover, they just quickly flank (or shot the cover and get me with splash) and BT isn't up enough to kill before they return fire.

Honestly the only thing I can suggest is to keep moving and keep repositioning yourself. Remember that you don't have to slow mo dive all the time, in my video above I tend to just use slow mo rather than diving about, you really have to take note of the environment you're in and if you can get up without being hit if you do a dive due to Max's recovery time. Also if you dive and and have to get up, if you press X/A without pressing any other buttons Max gets up straight into cover. If you are in a spot remember that after diving you can still use slow mo and shoot fools whilst lying on the ground, if you don't have enough time to get up and aren't in the line of any cover, just activate slow mo and shoot the enemies coming at you if you can, then get up. Blind fire is also really good for a quick kill when moving from position to position. Aim for the head/upper body as much as possible too. If you get a chain of headshots it's very satisfying but more importantly thins the enemies out giving you more time to again reposition yourself. Try and get into slow mo as much as possible, the enemies have the aim of snipers when you are not using it and of storm troopers whilst you are. Another great thing is executions - say you have run out of bullets and the nearest gun is far away, you can run up to an enemy and melee him and then shoot him in the face. The game just automatically gives you a clip or so to let you finish it off. You can see that in my video above near the end. It can take a while, hell even after playing it quite a bit I still get caught out, but you'll get yourself into a rhythm and before you know you'll be shooting fools in the head no problem.

ROLL?!

man alive there's a frustrating bit in the police station. That's when those minor niggles really started to annoy me. Like putting you in a position where you wouldn't/didn't go and changing your weapon to pistol after a cut-scene.

• 2 weeks later...

So think I might be done with this. I'm just not finding it engaging - ganeplay or storywise.

Gunplay play has gotten better, but still feels a little turgid rather than empowering.

The story is odd as well. It's well made and produced, but it just hasn't got it's hooks in me to make me want to druve forward. As an analogy its something I watch if channel hoping for 30, but proactively taking the effort to play for another 10 hours isnt appealing.

Shame as I wanted to like this, and others obviously have but it's just not clicked.

Don't like leaving unfinished, but at leadt it's one off the shame pile.

I'm still stuck on Chapter 13 for New York Minute and plan on finishing it at some point, but I strongly suspect that New York Minute Hardcore is on the list of achievements I will never manage in this lifetime (along with Dead Space 2's "Hardcore" achievement, plus SFIV, SSIV and most of Lost Planet 2),

Elsewhere I'm still trying to go for the DLC achievements legit, and whilst I've managed quite a few (including "Air Ace" [kill 2 people in a single shootdodge in the Departure Lounge] which I was quite proud of, considering there were only 5 players in that particular deathmatch), the rest are eluding me. It's not helped that the online population has dropped sharply since last year, and even though the DLC was going very cheaply at the end of last year (the season pass was something ludicrous like £4), a lot of people online seem to always vote for the non-DLC maps which is a pain.

Achievements aside, the DLC maps are all pretty damn good. It feels as if Rockstar had an excellent game with a huge opportunity for single-player campaigns, missions as well as new maps, and then they fucked it all up. The DLC was a long time coming, and was just MP maps for ages until the final DLC where we got a Horde mode but only on two maps and a challenge mode variant for the single-player campaign (get 3 groin shots in 10 seconds, only explosive kills, no kills from cover etc).

I love the game to bits, but argh.

• 1 month later...

Admittedly, I'm very late to the party, but goodness I enjoyed playing through this over the last week. It was great to have Max back, and looking better than ever.

I was certainly against the new style they'd taken when the first shots leaked, and having got the game a good year or more ago, I finally got round to playing it. Graphic-wise, it looked exceptional. Sun bleached scenes, drab cityscapes and neon-lit clubs - all fantastically brought to life. Equally impressive was the motion capture work, the soundtrack and the voice acting. I also thought Max's transformation ended up being a great aspect of the game.

There was plenty of variety too, and I was a big fan of the flashback sequences, they broke up the main story line nicely, and added a decent throwback/tribute to the original games. Must admit I was a bit taken back with how violent it was too, particularly the death of one or two of the supporting cast. The bullet time, while easily a gimmick, worked incredibly well, especially coupled with the superb animation. The sight of Max reloading in slow motion while bullets fly thick and fast is certainly something of a gaming highlight. It just looked cool. The same goes for the scripted sequences when Max has to pick off XXX number of bad guys as some event is taking place (being lowered by hook/crane being an impressive one in a game full of great incidents).

The plot wasn't up to that much really, but it kept everything together well, though I admit I lost track of who was who toward the end of the game. The supporting cast were all good, especially Pessos, and I was generally gutted with his subplot, and not altogether happy with how it was resolved - it seemed a cheap move to push things along, and was quickly resolved, when it could have been handled in a different way. I thought the chemistry between them worked really well.

The gunplay was amongst the best I've ever seen. The weapons all felt solid, with great impact. There was also a decent enough variety, though it would have been nice to have seen Max throwing the odd grenade or two.

Level variety was pretty decent, with solid turns on the boat, train, stadium, through the garages, the roof-tops of New York and the airport, amongst a number of others.

It worked exceptionally well together with only a few flaws. Max's attitude wore thin a couple of times, but never felt less than believable. It was very linear, but I don't think that took much away from the game really. My only other gripe was toward the end, certain enemies seemed to be total bullet-sponges, requiring far more shots to put down than previously. I also found myself dying a few times when I'd unloaded into an enemy, convinced he was dead, only to turn my back and be killed by the guy standing back up and shooting me. A few sections were frustrating (a section on the boat must have taken 10 or more tries) while other parts seemed too easy (I don' think I died more than a couple of times in the entire final chapter).

A hugely satisfying game overall, with unrivaled gunplay. It looked and sounded amazing, and it would be nice to think Max has finally found his peace in the sun. A solid 9/10.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I replayed it last year on the ps3. Still a really good game with great touches - can't believe no one has ripped off the elegant solution to dual wielding - holding the shotgun in your right arm while firing a pistol with the left still looks really slick. 

Good game but not a Max Payne game. I was late to the party playing this, and it felt like it didn't belong with the previous games. 

New york city. Late night, snow = max payne. 

Instead it was sunny shirts and max wondering round airports. 

The flashbacks were crammed in after the reaction to the first trailer.