IGNORED

Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance

davejm

Dug this out the other day. Why hasn't there been a recent update to this series?

Unfortunately, it doesn't work well with my graphics card 8800GTS. The cockpit and some other objects appear and disappear, so it's pretty much unplayable. The good news is that the mappings it automatically assigned to my 360 pad were pretty much spot on, so if I can get the graphic problems sorted it could be fantastic to play through.

In fact, I don't think I even played this very much when I bought it. Was it a decent game compared to X-Wing and TIE Fighter?

I've spent some time with both TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance and found both to be superb.

I too have been wondering why a recent update hasn't been made. I came to the conclusion that while space flight games are quite cheap and quick to make, they would be more pitched at the PC, which is a less attractive market to publishers; that they're hasn't been a highly profitable one in quite some years; and finally that it would be hard to improve further on X-Wing Alliance model...

Give it a few years and I'm sure we'll see an update to the series, perhaps based on teh Clone Wars rather than the original series though :ph34r:

I've recently been playing TIE Fighter though DOSBox, with a mouse, and it's excellent - I can't wait to dig out my copy of X-Wing Alliance / X-Wing Collection and my flight stick next time I'm at my parents. At that point I'll be back shooting down bogeys all over the shop.

As for the best in the series, I think XWA has the best controls / graphics and therefore accessability, but it lacks the instant gratification awesomeness, and fragility, of jumping straight into a TIE Fighter from the off and doing away with pesky rebel scum. I found XWA to be a bit of a drag flying around in the starting cargo ship, as opposed to my easy-to-use, well handling and very vulnerable TIE Fighter. Still, my friend who has done both loved XWA, so I defo want to complete it at some point :)

I think that an X-Wing vs TIE Fighter would totally clean up on the 360 and PS3. Team-based co-op play recreating scenes from the films (Hoth, the Death Stars), battles taken from the mountains of other literature from Star Wars, and the potential for massive space battles between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire online. Mario Kart Wii-style regular challenges (ie. quickest kill of a Star Destroyer, "The Kessel Run", most kills in five minutes, etc). It would be one of the most anticipated games of the decade.

I think that an X-Wing vs TIE Fighter would totally clean up on the 360 and PS3. Team-based co-op play recreating scenes from the films (Hoth, the Death Stars), battles taken from the mountains of other literature from Star Wars, and the potential for massive space battles between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire online. Mario Kart Wii-style regular challenges (ie. quickest kill of a Star Destroyer, "The Kessel Run", most kills in five minutes, etc). It would be one of the most anticipated games of the decade.

Its Lucasarts. Not giving fans what they want since....1997.

Tie Fighter is my top 5 games ever, loved every second of it, but this was... A let down I feel.

Can't remember why exactly. I remember the levels were more scripted and the story was cheesy, which didn't help. I also have stinging memories of trying to do the last level, which involved flying through the Death Star, traversing narrow corridors and getting lost down dead ends. It was Descent but worse.

Also, it used looping music from the movies, which drove me slightly insane after a while of hearing the same pieces used over and over...

I've no idea why space combat games have died a death, along with point n click. Sad.

I loved Tie Fighter but never got on with X-Wing Alliance, I found it considerably harder right from the start.

I remember hearing you could play 3 players linked on the death star II levels with a player piloting and two on the turrets, was this actually the case ?

Something like that would be fantastic on Live.

I too have been wondering why a recent update hasn't been made.

I think part of the reason is that the genre was pretty much perfected. Between the likes of X-Tension, X-Wing Alliance, Freespace 2 and the later Freelancer, as well as stuff like I-War 2 and Starlancer, the genre was pretty much tied up in that era of PC gaming. X-Wing and Freespace 2 honestly can't be bettered in doing what they do; the only way to improve them is to do new things with the concept, such as what Freelancer did.

So, davejm, are you playing through this at the moment? If so, tell us more!

Nah, the graphic problems are making it unplayable. I've got a fix bookmarked at home, but the intructions require some knowledge of how to use a HEX editor to alter the game .EXE, and I have no idea how to follow the instructions.

I'll post up in ATF at some point for some tips.

Oh man, I hope it's going to work on mine, when I pick up my Windows versions.

In the meantime grab TIE Fighter (DOS Version) and DOSBox - it's excellent :)

Just don't press esc when you're in the point-n'-click sections, otherwise it exits to dos and you don't save. In fact, I haven't managed to save a game yet, so do missions 1 and 2 repeatedly.

Oh man, I hope it's going to work on mine, when I pick up my Windows versions.

In the meantime grab TIE Fighter (DOS Version) and DOSBox - it's excellent :(

Just don't press esc when you're in the point-n'-click sections, otherwise it exits to dos and you don't save. In fact, I haven't managed to save a game yet, so do missions 1 and 2 repeatedly.

I used to have TIE Fighter on our old PC. Windows 98 I think it was.

Could not get it to run. No idea why not (I was young and just a techo-ignorant as I am now :)).

I'd constantly try though (just in case).

One day...after playing a few games/demo's I thought I'd try again and it worked. I loved and played it...

Turned computer on next day didn't work...

Through a long and exhuastive process....I worked out I had to run the "Die Hard with a Vengence Demo"...which did "something" to the computer that let TIE run :)

I always found XWA was a bit too-drawn out, with all those cargo missions, to the point that I never bothered to carry on playing after a while. Shame, as I enjoyed the previous games. Then I played Freespace 2 and never felt the need to ever go back to XWA (not being a big fan of the Star Wars universe). I do still have it somewhere, though; I suppose there isn't much chance of it working under Vista?

• 3 weeks later...

Aye, the graphics card on the VM would be something utterly shit. I honestly can't remember if Alliance used D3D at all, so it might just work.

You got a link to that hex guff? I'll see if I can fish out my discs and give it a whirl.

I used to love this game. I remember playing it with a MS sidewinder freestyle pad ( the motion sensing pad) and it was amazing to use. Ive still got a old win2k box with Geforce 4 in it. Might see if it can still be played with the pad et all.

bwi

Picked this up along with my X-Wing Collection disk and joy stick over the weekend and am now playing through TIE Fighter.

All the games work fine on Vista, through a compatability mode.

TIE Fighter is AWESOME.

• 3 months later...
Picked this up along with my X-Wing Collection disk and joy stick over the weekend and am now playing through TIE Fighter.

All the games work fine on Vista, through a compatability mode.

TIE Fighter is AWESOME.

I've got the X-Wing collectors edition CD (with Tie Fighter and XvT). Never thought of using the compatability mode. Need to give it a try.

I'd say part of the reason why a remake of this has never happened is that I once heard that the most successful games ever made based on Star Wars are:

1 - Star Wars Battlefront, which apparently sold massively more than they expected and has sales to dwarf all others

2 - Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, because it was dirt cheap to make (a re-skin of Age of Empires 2)

3 - Rogue Leader, because its engine was used in several later games (such as Rebel Strike and Clone Wars) and was also a GC launch title

4 - Rebel Assault 1, because it was bundled with loads of CD ROM drives

5 - Episode 1 Pod Racer, because of the massive penetration of the N64 into the US market

And there it is. Stuff like Jedi Knight and TIE Fighter can't touch the likes of the above in terms of sheer volume of sales. I even once heard (though from a dubious source) that Jedi Academy sold nearly as many on the Cube as on PC, and that was a throwaway conversion.

I would be willing to bet that Star Wars The Force Unleashed was more successful than any of the Jedi Knight series individually.

It just comes down to the fact that the Star Wars games that most "true fans" and the critics praise the most are not the most successful financially.