rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
toonfool

The Wire - BBC2

Heads up. BBC2 is showing The Wire.

This thread is for people who have heard about it but haven't watched it. Please don't post spoilers if you've seen it.

it started rerunning on FX a few weeks ago so Im up to ep 4 at the moment. Ill be switching to bbc soon though!

Anyone know if it's going to be on BBC HD?

All five seasons of the Wire were filmed in SD, 4:3. So no.

A week between each episode? How the FUCK do you manage that?
Well that's a timeslot sorted for the next couple years.

It's on five-days a week, I think. Which is great.

Nice one - it might kick my arse into actually watching it. I've had the first season on DVD for ages now, and I've tried to watch the first episode about four times. I don't know, I just get bored and end up doing something else (the 4:3 ratio doesn't really help, either). It's disgraceful behaviour on my part, I know, considering how lauded it is.

I'm going to watch it this time!

You stop even noticing the 4:3 thing eventually. It's excellent stuff.

Nice one - it might kick my arse into actually watching it. I've had the first season on DVD for ages now, and I've tried to watch the first episode about four times. I don't know, I just get bored and end up doing something else (the 4:3 ratio doesn't really help, either). It's disgraceful behaviour on my part, I know, considering how lauded it is.

I'm going to watch it this time!

When you watch the first episode it is a bit overwhelming because theres so many characters and they're talking about court cases and stuff you don't know much about. It puts you in at the deep end, don't worry if you think you didn't take every detail in, just keep watching them, I find so far for me that the seasons get better and better as they go on, maybe something to do with getting more and more involved with the story and characters the more you watch.

All five seasons of the Wire were filmed in SD, 4:3. So no.

Still doesn't really mean that they couldn't remaster a HD version of it, it was filmed on film, not video, so shouldn't inherently be limited to SD resolution, even 16mm film stuff like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has been remastered for HD resolution formats, or in other words, I would truely love HBO to spend the cash and bring it out on Blu-ray :P

I hope they subtitle it for BBC2. Quite difficult to understand what they're saying sometimes. Especially Snoop.

I hope they subtitle it for BBC2. Quite difficult to understand what they're saying sometimes. Especially Snoop.

I ended up watching it using headphones. Partly as my wife didn't appreciate the swearing echoing round the house and partly because it makes it a lot easier to understand some of the characters.

Stick with the first few episodes and you'll be hooked. It's consistently great.

First episode's the hardest. I even gave up on the show the first time around because of it.

I ended up watching it using headphones. Partly as my wife didn't appreciate the swearing echoing round the house and partly because it makes it a lot easier to understand some of the characters.

Stick with the first few episodes and you'll be hooked. It's consistently great.

I've seen all of it. I'll still watch it all again though.

I wasn't too impressed by the first episode although I enjoyed the pre-titles bit, but the second episode was just brilliant. So much happens, and it doesn't play by TV conventions of sticking in cliffhangers just before the interesting stuff. I was hooked from then on.

Working my way through the second season on DVD right now. Will probably watch on TV once it reaches where I'm at.

The first episode made my head spin. Beyond that the show really did live up to the hype. An absolute masterpiece.

This is perfect timing. PERFECT. BSG has just finished and I've been meaning to start watching this for ages. YES!

It took me about 8 episodes of the first season to actually start enjoying it. It's weird how so many people say to force yourself through the first season because you really shouldn't have to but you do.

Second season though... :)

A week between each episode? How the FUCK do you manage that?

I watched it from start to finish the first time FX showed it - series 1 to 5 straight through one episode a week. It was amazing, and took about a year.

I feel really sorry for people who blasted through it in a few weeks on DVD / downloads.

I might watch it again in the same way on the BBC.

I met someone a couple of weeks ago who's half way through it who was really recommending watching it with subtitles. I dunno. I thought it was all part of the fun not quite picking up everything that was being said, or quite understanding everything. You do get to learn the lingo after a while. I can imagine watching it again with subtitles, like watching something with a director's commentary, to suck up all the extra details, but not on first viewing.

The best thing about the wire is how it's not only brilliant and intelligent and amazing and all that, but it's also one of the funniest shows on tv in places. There are at least 2 or 3 completely hilarious moments in every show.

Case in point last night, I'm just starting watchng series 4, and I saw clay davis saying "shiiiiiiiiiiit" and I had to pause it for about 5 minutes and just re-watch that one bit again and again, crying with laughter.

It took me about 8 episodes of the first season to actually start enjoying it. It's weird how so many people say to force yourself through the first season because you really shouldn't have to but you do.

I'm nothing if not tenacious.

I only managed to watch series one and two on FX last year before my Sky+ box went kaput so this is excellent. Also hoping for subtitles. Mumbly crackhead characters talking in slang? Entertaining but confusing.

Weirdly, I haven't had any trouble with the language so far. On season two at the moment. There were some slightly incoherent bits but I figured you could either tell what they were talking about or weren't meant to know.