Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

"Free" despite him begging for 20k. It actually made me sick in my mouth a bit.

I know podcasts need hosting, but 20ks worth? There's far better podcasts who never ask for money.

I'm pretty sure the audience get in for free, same with RHLSTP. It isn't free to hire out the Leicester Square Theatre plus all of the rest of the stuff involved in getting it out there, I don't begrudge him 20k.

You don't get in for free, it's £10. I didn't think the one I saw was great (although the interview he did with a psychologist was excellent), but I don't begrudge paying £10 - it's two hours of comedy in central London, that's well below the market rate.

He's charging to try and cover the costs of producing the Meaning of Life show (not the live performance). It's being produced as a TV show (but on the internet), and will require the input of lots of people to bring it together, presumably ones who need to be paid. The show is free to download, he's just asking for donations to try and cover his production costs (and without going down the advertising / sponsorship route).

Yeah I paid 10 quid for one of the Fringe podcasts. Thankfully I chose a good one, Rob Delaney and Mark Thomas. I don't see why if he's charging he needs money on top.

Well, you can get about 480 people into the Leicester Square Theatre, so assuming he sells every seat, that’s £4800 from ticket sales. A chunk of that will go to the theatre, plus he’ll have had to pay for cameras and the operator, the titles and the animated sequences, editing, promotion, etc. I’d be surprised if he made a profit just from ticket sales.

I don’t blame him for trying to get people who download his podcasts to contribute, his RHLSTP shows are generally great and they’re free. Even if he breaks even on the costs of making it, I think he deserves to make a living from it too.

Loved that. I prefer Armando as the interviewer though.

Hate when he does his talking into a phone for ages schtick, but apart from that, good as expected. And yes, Stew, ive downloaded one of your DVDs.

You have to be dead clever angel. Otherwise it comes across as boring.

angel *is* Barry Shitpeas right?

/joke. I know him in real life.

This was just brilliant.

"Well, I'd know it's you"

had me in tears. Agree that Chris Morris wasn't quite as good as Armando though, Morris just seemed to be aggressive, while Armando was funny and disconcerting with it.

Loved that. I prefer Armando as the interviewer though.

You have to be dead clever angel. Otherwise it comes across as boring.

angel *is* Barry Shitpeas right?

/joke. I know him in real life.

Read this a few times and still dont get it. I didnt like his phone conversation on Carpet Remnant either. Id be interested to see how he does ratings wise, Sat night 10pm is quite an interesting time slot. Im sure he's already comissioned for series 4 anyway.

I thought it was great. Genuinely funny (and also quite moving in bits). I've been a big fan of Lee and Herring for ages and I love their output. I think it's fair to say Lee is more of a craftsman, who polishes his stuff until it shines, but they both fundamentally have very similar thrusts to their comedy. Herring has half-jokingly pointed out many times that some of Lee's "best" routines are essentially cadged from stuff they wrote together. I think Lee is just more confident to stretch a concept to breaking point where Herring is a little nervous and self-effacing and goes for a quantity over quality thing. When working together it is very interesting to see the dynamics switch back to the old double act, where Lee is essentially a straight man to Herring's filth. I love them as a double-act, but I do think Lee has flourished as an individual and is clearly a better comedian now. Herring (as a lot of his output shows) is still best surrounded by other people where he can be the most deranged/filthy person in a line-up.

So yeah, people moaning (above) about Herring asking for money is fucking ridiculous though - I've had hours and hours of free entertainment out of him - As It Occurs To Me (which has flashes of brilliance), RHLSTP (which is consistently excellent) and most of his TV output of the late 90s which soundtracked my hungover conciousness at university and is still groundbreaking in many ways. Yes, some of it might be scattershot, some of it might be below-par, but to complain about it is fairly cunty. I'd recommend listening to the "Comedian's Comedian" podcast where he chats about his comedy - it's an interesting listen.

The fact Lee isn't universal like Michael MacIntyre or Peter Kaye is great. The fact you can have a comedy routine with long periods of silence, abrasive humour and a result that some people find annoying at 10pm on a big TV station is great. Enoyed it muchly.

I wasn't saying it wasn't good, just that it was a stupid idea of mine to stick it on. It requires everyone to be invested in what's happening if they're going to get anything out of it, so it's pretty pointless if you're only half paying attention. Should've been antisocial and watched it up in my room.