Fantastic Mr Fox

Major Britten

The cast went to a farm and acted the film out. So there is no recording booth involved as far as I am aware.

I'd be very surprised if they recorded all their lines on a farm. Why would they? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see any real reason for it, beyond a gimmick.

Same thing my wife picked up on when she saw the trailer (which she liked). Poor Roald Dahl.

As someone pointed out earlier, I don't think Dahl is very well known in America.

Same thing my wife picked up on when she saw the trailer (which she liked). Poor Roald Dahl.

This. Animation does look smashing mind

I'm rather looking forward to this, although, story wise, not what I expected (dont like the look of the farmers, I have always seen them like Quentin Blake drew and Roald Dahl described, appearence wise). I hate how Roald Dahl has to be Americanised again and again.

Trailer in HD

One thing I really like, which hasn't really been mentioned much, is how different the vocal recording is. Because all the dialogue was recorded 'on location' there is a really strange spatial quality to the voices which just seems to work. Animation vocals can often sound like they are in an odd vacuum which is quite unnatural.

Yes yes... I'm an audio guy and I noticed this straight away. Makes it sound much more "natural" (not actually natural as the audio is married to stop motion animation of talking foxes and the like), but makes it quite convincing.

Adored the trailer, can't wait to see it.

I'd be very surprised if they recorded all their lines on a farm. Why would they? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see any real reason for it, beyond a gimmick.

No idea if it was on a farm, but the dialogue track doesn't have the "dead" sound of an acoustically treated vocal booth or the reflections of a regular room or performance space, which makes me think it was recorded outside.

No idea if it was on a farm, but the dialogue track doesn't have the "dead" sound of an acoustically treated vocal booth or the reflections of a regular room or performance space, which makes me think it was recorded outside.

I thought it sounded as if it were phoned in.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get over the fact that Fantastic Mr Fox is an American let alone George Clooney.

I have no hope for this film.

Hmmm well it seems like it bares very little resemblance to the book. However that could be a good thing. If it was similar but slightly different you'd spend the whole time analysing the changes. As its completely different I guess it'll be easier to take on its own merit. I think from the trailer it looks promising.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a little feature for this film on the shitty film programme 35mm. One interesting little detail is that a lot of the furniture in the film are replicas of the furniture that appears in Dahl's home even down to his famous writing chair.

The film has also been reviewed in this months Total Film (it got 3 stars) and they said it was fun but the story was a bit too light for the runtime.

• 2 weeks later...

That new trailer is much better - in part I guess because we're used to the animation style now, we know what to expect and can just enjoy it. Looks really good. This and Where the Wilds Things Are are two to certainly look out for in the tale end of 2009.

• 3 weeks later...
That's pretty much exactly what I expected from a stop-motion Wes Anderson movie. I think it looks great. :lol:

It was pretty much exactly what I expected from a stop-motion Wes Anderson movie. And it is great!

Not Rushmore or Tenenbaums great, but I reckon I'd put it on par with The Life Aquatic. Better than The Darjeeling Limited and Bottle Rocket, then.

I think embargoes have all passed now so I can say: I think it's his best film since Tenenbaums by a country mile and a half. And I think Clooney (well, his voice) is excellent.

Also, Jason Schwartzman is officially one of the nicest people in the universe.

You might be surprised.

Quite.

I enjoyed it, nonetheless. The delivery of the line

"Apple... apple flood"

(I'm probably paraphasing, but hey) tickled me most of all.

Unfortunately, I was ushering the North East's opening gala so had to contend with 110 wretched bairns and some right moody chebends from Fox, but at least I got to keep the branded T-shirt. Hey ho.

Watched this last night and enjoyed it. Not a great film but did keep me amused and made me smile quite a lot.

I found the look of the film very charming as it made me thinkl of the old stop motion programmes I watched as a kid (Bagpuss et al). Good voice work all round 0 hard to pick who is my favourite.

Most of the plot is from the book, although they have of course expanded on this a great deal and added characters and quirks reminiscent of other Anderson films

Only in a Wes Anderson children's film could the word existentialist exist in one of the characters speeches!

Oh and I am glad the whistle thing didn't crop up as much as it might have done because it was very annoying!

So this or Up for a 4 & 5 year old couple of kids? The 3D will probably keep them entertained to a degree but I would rather see this. Any thoughts?

Definitely would say UP. It will captivate 4/5 year olds like it did with my 5 year old niece. UP is very colourful and adorable. FMF isnt in the same league as UP