IGNORED

Fantastic Mr Fox

Major Britten

Say to who? Is he going to be having words with Wes Anderson or something?

He often comes around for tea and crumpets and we play lacrosse on Wednesdays.

Well I think it looks great.

Me too.

I understand why people here are sceptical and why it will be a very, very difficult thing to sell at the box office but that trailer is better than anything I imagined (sorry Mankyman but you totally missold this one to us). I think part of the problem is that for many people now when they hear stopmotion animation they think of Aardman and/or Selick. Both are great but they look incredibly slick. This rough and ready style reminds me more of Eastern European animation from directors such as Jirí Trnka (something I really like but I appreciate it can look quite cheap).

What I particularly like is the fact Anderson hasn't been constrained by animating it - it is very obvious that it is his film still (even if you ignore the usual yellow lettering). The way shots are framed - the cross-section parts in the trailer are just like those in Life Aquatic, for example - the lo-fi nature and the gentle humour is all there and spot on. What I am surprised to hear are people unimpressed by Clooney. Personally I thought he nailed it.

What the fucking fuck? George Clooney? God!

"From the author of Charlie and the Chocolate factory"

Is the name of Roald Dahl no longer a house hold name?

Love the stop animation, completly fine with it - its the subject matter that ruins it for me. All the light hearted jokes are so....>_<

He often comes around for tea and crumpets and we play lacrosse on Wednesdays.

I had you pegged as a polo man.

You're right about the Trnka comparison, but there's still something missing. I really can't put my finger on it though. Maybe it's the character designs? I'm not sure.

Something I think everyone will agree on is that this is going to be a hard sell at the box office.

I understand why people here are sceptical and why it will be a very, very difficult thing to sell at the box office but that trailer is better than anything I imagined

I don't think that trailer really gives off an idea of what the film is like.

Much like the first still they showed didn't really give an idea of what I was surprised about the emphasis on FANTASTIC, because as far as I remember there were only a couple of uses of the word fantastic, and they were actually subtle, rather than being shouted in your face. The film has a flow that the trailer doesn't quite catch either, and that was with animatics for a good chunk of it.

(sorry Mankyman but you totally missold this one to us).

I did say it was hard to describe!

The only thing I really said was that some of the composure of the shots look like a Lotte Reiniger short. And I still say they do. I would also like to make the disclaimer that though neither of these pictures are what I was thinking of when I wrote it, but they do sort of illustrate what I mean.

post-242-1248901110.jpg

lottereininger.jpg

I did say it was hard to describe!

The only thing I really said was that some of the composure of the shots look like a Lotte Reiniger short. And I still say they do. I would also like to make the disclaimer that though neither of these pictures are what I was thinking of when I wrote it, but they do sort of illustrate what I mean.

post-242-1248901110.jpg

lottereininger.jpg

I do see where you are coming from. I'd obviously interpreted your original post differently so was very surprised to see the trailer look completely different to what I was expecting.

i'm amazed people are complaining that it looks 'flat'.

ALL Wes Andersons film look flat.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

But I wasn't realy comparing it to his life action output (I like both Rushmore and Tenenbaums), but more to other stop motion animation.

I'm still quite looking forward to this as I like both Dahl and Anderson's films (at least the ones I saw).

The way it moves has a kind of Svankmejer-ness to it.

I like it, but I think it's going to divide people. It gets extra points for pretty much throwing all expectations of big budget American animated film-making out the window. I wouldn't be half as interested in this if it was 'glossy'.

The way it moves has a kind of Svankmejer-ness to it.

I like it, but I think it's going to divide people. It gets extra points for pretty much throwing all expectations of big budget American animated film-making out the window. I wouldn't be half as interested in this if it was 'glossy'.

Coraline isn't glossy, though. it's stunning, and not much in the way CGI, IIRC. This just looks like something you'd expect Wes Anderson to do i.e. kooky and shit.

Coraline isn't glossy, though. it's stunning, and not much in the way CGI, IIRC.

Coraline is still very expensive looking though (you are right, there is hardly any CGI in it - even the bits you think are computer generated often aren't). Fantastic Mr. Fox looks like it could have been made by one man and I really quite like that. Whilst stylistically it is not like Quentin Blake's illustrations it does still have that same rough and ready charm.

Although if you don't like Anderson's films (which it appears you don't) I can see why you'd hate this trailer.

Coraline isn't glossy, though. it's stunning, and not much in the way CGI, IIRC. This just looks like something you'd expect Wes Anderson to do i.e. kooky and shit.

To be fair, Coraline *is* really glossy, CGI or not.

I think the inluences on this are pretty clear, and I like that he's avoiding producing something that has an 'acceptable' style. I guess you could argue that a very deliberate attempt to get away from it is kooky, but it's an incredibly interesting, brave style choice.

Anybody have an idea what the budget on this is?

Coraline is still very expensive looking though (you are right, there is hardly any CGI in it - even the bits you think are computer generated often aren't). Fantastic Mr. Fox looks like it could have been made by one man and I really quite like that. Whilst stylistically it is not like Quentin Blake's illustrations it does still have that same rough and ready charm.

This. I really think this is going to split people though.

And Coraline cost $60M.

I'm going to watch it a few times - I think what caught me off guard was that it wasn't how I expected to look (and move) so I found that jarring. Having seen the look of it now I think I need to re-evaluate the thing less based on the look.

I think it looks positively charming. I'm a big fan of the almost 2D filming style they've gone for and I'll be heading to see this as soon as it is released. I find the rough look of the characters and animation to be quite appealing compared with the overly polished look of a lot of animated movies these days. That isn't to say that I didn't love Coraline though.

While we're on a stop-motion Fox tip, here's a Norwegian film called The Fox's Widow, it starts to get unsettling around the middle of this clip.

So how does it finish, godammit?

The old woman looks like the witch from Pogle's Wood.

Whilst we are continuing going off topic here is Jiri Trnka's The Hand:

All of Trnka's stuff is great. I've got a collection of about ten of his films on DVD.

Bretislav Pojar's Hey Mister, Let's Play is good too.

A quick look online doesn't show up any subbed versions unfortunately.

Trailer in HD

It looks pretty stunning in HD and the animation doesn't look quite as 'rough' but it still has that hand-made charm. There is so much tiny detail in every frame (you can pretty much pause it anywhere and pick out lovely little touches - like the score board with Home and Stray teams). One thing I really like, which hasn't really been mentioned much, is how different the vocal recording is. Because all the dialogue was recorded 'on location' there is a really strange spatial quality to the voices which just seems to work. Animation vocals can often sound like they are in an odd vacuum which is quite unnatural.

Trailer in HD

It looks pretty stunning in HD and the animation doesn't look quite as 'rough' but it still has that hand-made charm. There is so much tiny detail in every frame (you can pretty much pause it anywhere and pick out lovely little touches - like the score board with Home and Stray teams). One thing I really like, which hasn't really been mentioned much, is how different the vocal recording is. Because all the dialogue was recorded 'on location' there is a really strange spatial quality to the voices which just seems to work. Animation vocals can often sound like they are in an odd vacuum which is quite unnatural.

Does that mean the voices were recorded as if it was a normal movie, rather than in a recording studio? Or...?

I did think something sounded different about the voices but couldn't really put my finger on it. :(