Fantastic Mr Fox

Major Britten

Neither of these pics really give you a good idea of what the film looks like. The first one is a really strange one to release, because the whole film is made up of the characters pulling amazing faces, yet in the picture they're all just looking blankly ahead.

Also, it looks fucking amazing in motion. There was one scene on top of a hill where you could see the furs move as if it was a windy day.

I am looking forward to this. Its got all the ingredients to make it good but I still hold my breath. Hollywood has fucked up so many great opportunities that I can't raise expectations too far.

Mind you with Wes Anderson making a stop motion version of my second favourite Roald Dahl book* starring George Clooney and Bill Murray its hard not to get excited.

*Danny Champion of the World will always be the best in my eyes.

Interesting...almost low budget looking. I'm not sure about it. It's a gutsy move for certain.

Makes a nice change from the CGI-ness of everything lately.

From a box office point of view, I can see the public disliking it a great deal ;)

The animation is bizarrely two dimensional, its like they're framing all shots like a comic book. Not really sure about it to be honest, also the voice work sounds a bit dodgy, mainly because of the American accents, but also because Clooney sounds pretty flat as Mr Fox, who should sound more "fantastic". I don't have high hopes, but then again I never did because this is one of my favorite childhood books, and Wes Anderson is a director whose movies have left me cold on the most part.

the voice work sounds a bit dodgy, mainly because of the American accents, but also because Clooney sounds pretty flat as Mr Fox, who should sound more "fantastic".

I thought the same. It was weird how the trailer kept stressing the fantastic but Clooney sounded almost subdued. When I heard that it he was going to be voicing Mr Fox, I immediately assumed it would be along the lines of his performances in O Brother, Where Art Thou and Burn After Reading.

As it is, it's just flat. It's almost like this is an animatic. I would have loved a Coraline quality to the animation.