All things Monster Hunter - MHF/2/U - MHP3 and Tri

Quexex

Wii U version. Was checking eBay this morning and there was a code sitting in my inbox.Was a right WTF moment. When I saw the purchase date it was sunday after next doors BBQ . Then I remembered. Only cost £17.29 so not to bad.

This game...it has me. It's stuck its long, sharp claws into me. From the moment I fought and killed two Great Jaggis at once, its claws were in me. But I will cut those claws off and use them to make a new weapon!

Full jaggi set and jaggi sword and shield. Feeling boss. Having trouble catching Azuros for a quest, though, as the trap and tranq bombs don't seem to work, even when it's limping. Boo-urns!

This game...it has me. It's stuck its long, sharp claws into me. From the moment I fought and killed two Great Jaggis at once, its claws were in me. But I will cut those claws off and use them to make a new weapon!

Full jaggi set and jaggi sword and shield. Feeling boss. Having trouble catching Azuros for a quest, though, as the trap and tranq bombs don't seem to work, even when it's limping. Boo-urns!

Glad you like it, is such a great series. If you wanna be really flash you can tranq em before they even get in the trap.

I know they're probably considered a nooby weapon, but I like the sword and shield. I like the manoeuvrability, the speed and so on, even though I don't actually ever use the block. Am I doing it wrong? I quite fancy swinging about a massive hammer, but I assume they can't break/cut bits off.

Some swear by the sword and shield, never use em myself. Hammers have an immensely satisfying ability to knock out monsters.

Try em all tho, they all play very differently, youll think the range weapons are crap at first but they are actually amazing.

Am I doing it wrong?

Nope, because you're learning the monster and that's what counts no matter which weapon you use. One of the symptoms of Monster Hunterism is trying new weapons and realising (in addition to learning each weapon's movesets and nuances) that you need to look for a different set of openings using what you already know about the monsters.

I know they're probably considered a nooby weapon, but I like the sword and shield. I like the manoeuvrability, the speed and so on, even though I don't actually ever use the block. Am I doing it wrong? I quite fancy swinging about a massive hammer, but I assume they can't break/cut bits off.

When used right, they are great for constant damage, as you've got to stay on them. Plus you can use potions/ sharpen with the weapon unsheathed.

Though mainly I use them for para/ sleep rather than flat out dealing. Everyone will appreciate 2-3 paralyses a hunt, when paired with the right armour skills.

In Monster Hunter 4 they are godlike.

With the new skills given to them (ledge attacks/ charge attack) they become insanely fun.

My second most used weapon after the Bug staff, and this is coming from someone who rarely used them in Portable 3rd/ 3G.

Though don't use SnS in water... It's just awful.

As for hammers, that can break but not cut.

Just beat my first quropeco. Took ages - had less than 5 mins on the clock at the end. I was dual wielding jaggid shotels and they kept bouncing off him. It got to the point where both paintballs I used had worn off, so I spent ages running around looking for the thing, and he kept doing the call to (I assume) heal himself. I like dual blades but they seem really weak.

Wroggi, Royal Ludroth and Barroth down ^_^. Made the Wroggi hat, and switched to lance for a change of pace. Royal Ludroth and Barroth fights were a lot of fun! Game seems relatively easy at the most, not died once yet and up to the village 3* quests. I understand they're probably still a tutorial, though, so not too fussed yet.

Christ, the quropeco is an annoying fight. Not difficult, per se, just irritating if he catches you with the fire move and there is no water around (is there a way to douse the fire? I thought stop drop and roll would work but apparently not!). Many of my attacks bounce off it, too, regardless of what angle I attack from. Imagine my surprise when it also called not one but two great jaggis for backup! Still killed the git, but it's not a fight I enjoy unlike, say, Barroth, which is always an entertaining scrap.

This is me when I'm not playing Monster Hunter...

tumblr_m9dh9mMVtW1rbs2tjo6_400.gif

It's like digital crack. One of my favourite things to do in world of Warcraft was try to solo all the old raids and the big bosses...this is basically that, in single player, with cooler monsters and better looking gear. Why has no mmo ever copied the format? It always annoyed me when I got the newest gear and it didn't look anything like whatever I'd just killed to get it. Sometimes they did, but not often enough and certainly not cool enough. I'm loving my Barroth armour atm; I look like a proper tank.

40 hours played since Wednesday (inc a 14 hour journey back from Bangkok). Oh, and I LOVE that I can play this on the gamepad screen when my wife is watching TV, or when we're torturing our child by letting him watch in the night garden. It now genuinely annoys me that MH4 won't be coming to Wii u. I find it quite uncomfortable to play on the 3ds (I got this game free with Mario kart 8 but I work away a lot, so I bought it on 3ds, too. Save transfers and train journey hunts ahoy!).