All things Monster Hunter - MHF/2/U - MHP3 and Tri

Quexex

Uniqlo have done another series of Monster Hunter tees. Not as good as the last batch, but a couple of nice ones in there.

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/clothing/uq/ut/monsterhunter/

Awesome, I didn't know they did these. For the two people interested, yes, Uniqlo in Singapore does have them (http://www.uniqlo.com/sg/product/men/ut/others).

To be fair, the text on the 3DS version, even on a 3DSXL, is a bloody garbled mess. Looks fine on WiiU.

Excellent. I'm always in Uniqlo. It's a good job I found out about these tees here or else I'd do a man-gush in the shop like when I found my Metal Gear Rising tops.

NEG, Oakley do some nice frames now which aren't too dear. That's what finally tipped me after 24 years of needing glasses!

Excellent. I'm always in Uniqlo. It's a good job I found out about these tees here or else I'd do a man-gush in the shop like when I found my Metal Gear Rising tops.

NEG, Oakley do some nice frames now which aren't too dear. That's what finally tipped me after 24 years of needing glasses!

My wife will hate me wearing these. I'm going to get two.

I chose this as my free Mario kart game. It was a close race (har har) between this and wind waker, which I adored on GameCube, but my curiosity for all things monster hunter won out. See, this is a series that, on paper at least, I should love and adore; mmo style stats and gear acquisition, satisfaction of prep and a successful hunt and, most of all, laying the smackdown on bloody massive monsters! My only attempt at the series was MHFU on PSP and I couldn't get on with that claw grip thing you had to do, so I gave up pretty quickly, but always felt I was missing out.

So here I am, asking you master hunters for some beginner's tips and tricks, if you'd be so kind!

Ta :wub:

Wear the full leather set until you start killing Great Jaggis. Try to learn how the stats on the sets work after 40hours or so.

You need +10 in a particular stat before it activates the bonus. I was running around with a few +1 attack gems thinking I was being smart. +15 in a stat usually activates level 2, with +20 giving level 3.

For now just do the village quests, kill stuff and gather.

Excellent choice Dr Shark! Go for the long sword, avoid sword & shield. Read up on the combo sequences in the manual (they're not very hard) so you can get a good attack flow.

The game will seem a bit slow at first but it's just a long tutorial. There's so much to learn it's worth giving it the time. Stay offline until you're at the High Rank village quests as then you'll have a decent armour set to be able to take on the much stronger online/Port quests.

I'm still playing this most nights (GMT+8). I normally start off the evening with some Eve Online. Get podded, so go for some Monster Hunter for an hour or so, then finish off with 30 minutes of Mario Kart 8. Couple of hours gaming and I've touched most genres, life is good.

So here I am, asking you master hunters for some beginner's tips and tricks, if you'd be so kind!

Ta :wub:

Stay in the village and follow the elders instructions all those boring gathering quests don't really happen when reach the meat of the game. Stick with it until you reach Barroth by then it should of clicked.

Combat is not God of War style button mashing or MMO style stats, it's more Street Fighter, it's about patience, waiting for an opening then getting in there and punishing the monster before getting out of its way. When you reach a new monster quest you might want to grind it for a bit as they all have armor sets, the Great Jaggi set is great to start out with.

Chuck paintballs at the monster you want to keep track of and it will appear on the map.

Most important is just sticking with it thru the early stages and excepting the way the game works, you might rage or get frustrated but if it clicks you'll think it's best thing ever.

I found the Lance to be a good beginner weapon. But yeah, as others have said, do the village quests, take your time, read up on stuff, use paintballs and there's no shame in running away!

Going to pick this up again now I have a Wii U (had it on 3DS before). Looking forward to finally playing online. Can you play with randoms, or does it have to be people on your friends list?

If you want to get a snapshot of "how to play" Monster Hunter, I'd suggest jumping online in to any "newbie" or "HR1" rooms. If none exist, just create a room with that sort of title. You can type in chat that you're totally new and I'd be highly surprised if anyone didn't offer lots of advice, tips, and help in getting going. The community is generally excellent.

In an online room you'll get to go through some simple hunts with the support of up to three other players. Just follow what they do and don't be afraid of hanging back away from the monster you're hunting and just watching. You could back this up with watching a YouTube video of some of the hunts you end up doing from other players. This will show you what items they take with them, what armour/weapons they choose. At low levels (HR1, HR2) things should be quite clear and easy to follow.

I agree with others, something like longsword or lance is a good weapon to start with. Maybe hammer. I'd leave bows, multifunction, and pipe weapons for later on after you've got some experience.

Basics are that you should take with you some potions (for health), whetstones (to sharpen your weapon), and cooked meat (for energy). A simple crafting combination you can try is "Blue Mushroom" (found where you see mushrooms growing on a log) and "Herb" (found where you see plants sticking out of the ground), which combine in to a Potion. To cook meat, use your BBQ and "Raw Meat" that you get from killing random small animals around the environment. You're aiming for "Well Done Steak". If you get Raw you're stopping too soon. If you get Burnt you're leaving it too long. It's a mini timing game :)

Soooooooo tasty!

Quick question: I was fighting some jaggis to collect resources for the village and, whilst I was fighting one, one I'd just killed disappeared - pretty quickly, too. Does this mean there are no resources on the body, or do I need to be quicker and scavenge as soon as they drop?

They do disappear quite quickly, you can normally carve everything at least once, but it's not something you really need to worry about, the boss monster corpses hang around much longer, not sure if they disappear at all.

Quick question: I was fighting some jaggis to collect resources for the village and, whilst I was fighting one, one I'd just killed disappeared - pretty quickly, too. Does this mean there are no resources on the body, or do I need to be quicker and scavenge as soon as they drop?

Yes they do disappear quite quickly and it's one of my bugbears with the game. Sometimes you do want some basic carves from smaller monsters, but while you're busy with a main monster or a swarm of smaller ones it's very difficult to get in and carve without being interrupted by attacks.

I wouldn't worry too much, you'll come across so many Jaggis during your adventures, you'll be sick to the back teeth of 'em before long. lol!

Also, aren't there skills/perks that increase carve and gathering speeds?

Every time I read this thread it makes me wanna play MH3U. If anyone is organising a lobby (maybe to help fresh fish), please let me know. I'm always available. And Sunday is a perfect hunting day. ;)

Every time I read this thread it makes me wanna play MH3U. If anyone is organising a lobby (maybe to help fresh fish), please let me know. I'm always available. And Sunday is a perfect hunting day. ;)

Same, got about 400 hours on this but everytime the thread gets bumped i get a hankering for coming back.

Wish 4U was out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...