All things Monster Hunter - MHF/2/U - MHP3 and Tri

Quexex

Hmm, because of my MMO background I don't like mixing sets. :( Maybe I've yet to learn, but I prefer a full set for any given instance.

With Helios I've got water resist covered, and with Nether thunder resist. Looking at Uragaan next for defence up L, and then maybe fire and ice Agknator. Then I'll only have dragon resist left to cover. I'm really not bothered with more damage besides the current output, the game's easy enough as it is besides getting one-shotted.

Monster hunter 3 for the wii u is generally the cheapest secondhand wii u game here in japan, usually about 500-800 yen.

It's never been something that interested me too much, but at that price I'm thinking of picking it up. Is there some reason why it's so cheap secondhand? Like a code for the online features that's been used or something?

Also if I had the japanese version would I be able to play online with friends in the uk etc, or only people in japan?

In japan its an old version as Number 4 came out Sep 2013 on the 3DS with built-in online play. Over here its the latest version as we are skipping monster hunter 4 and are just getting 4g/4 ultimate in 2015.

Japanese monster hunter 3g/ultimate wiiU cannot play online with USA/EU players. :(

Is anyone from 'muk still playing MH3U on WiiU? I know I'm in an odd timezone (GMT+7-8, depending on time of year), but the only person I've seen online is Fallows :(

The lobbies are still very full though, so easy to get randoms.

Is anyone from 'muk still playing MH3U on WiiU? I know I'm in an odd timezone (GMT+7-8, depending on time of year), but the only person I've seen online is Fallows :(

The lobbies are still very full though, so easy to get randoms.

Ill be happy to jump on - one of my MH buddies is getting a wii U for Mario Kart so i will be on more of often then as well. If you reply where when you are jumping on ims ure some of us will let us know if we are about! - can add me on wiiU as 'shynra' if you like!

Ill be happy to jump on - one of my MH buddies is getting a wii U for Mario Kart so i will be on more of often then as well. If you reply where when you are jumping on ims ure some of us will let us know if we are about! - can add me on wiiU as 'shynra' if you like!

Will do, ta :)

I'm currently on most evenings, even if just for a couple of hunts. The lobbies are always busy and a good range of HR's.

Up to HR4 and in no rush to climb higher for a while. I'm rocking a full set of Giggi U armour, gemmed for pierce, which makes me look like some kind of supervillain; generally switching between a Worldseer's Bow and an Arko Du (Y) at the moment. Yep, totally fallen in love with the bows - the coatings feel like I'm bringing a little tool box into each hunt :wub:

I've also got a set of vanilla Giggi armour and a Shadow Saber+, though using that a bit less now that I'm more proficient with the bow (and after several hunts where I was continuously knocked around by people with long swords). Seem to have abandoned the switch axe completely for now.

My NNID is NerdyEyes if anyone fancies some hunting. I'm generally around at the weekend, but pop on for a few quick hunts during weekday evenings GMT.

WIll add you later. I'm back on most GMT evenings messing about with the weapons I haven't used much. Currently gunlancing with great vengeance and furious anger those monsters who would attempt to poison, sleep, explode and destroy my co-hunters. And you will know my name is the lawd when I lay my Wyvern Fire upon thee...

Most of the materials I "need" now are uber-grindy stuff like Cloudy Moonshards, but my heart's not in that anymore, I'm just playing for fun. I also wanted the Barrage Earring until I discovered you have to not only do every arena quest, but do it with each of the 5 weapons available for each. That's 60 or 70 hunts for one bit of armour which makes some bowgun/gunlance sets a tiny bit better. Funk dat.

Are you pimping that Giggi armour with some water or fire resist? It's pretty weak to water and you do need fire resistance quite often.

I've only thrown sphere upgrades at each of the Giggi sets so far, and am lacking materials for the fancier charms, so haven't done anything to mitigate the -20 water penalties yet, no :( Generally fire hasn't been too much of a problem, but high rank Agnaktor's beam attacks might change my mind there. Getting punished by water types when they do hit me though, so I'll either need to work towards a charm set to negate the penalty, or some alternate armour sets for water hunts.

Probably doesn't help that I've mostly been progressing without a plan, but I'm certainly not short of things to do :)

• 3 weeks later...

So I put it on for the first time tonight...and turned it off 5-10mins later.

Please tell me there is some way to increase the text size when talking to people. It's far too horribly small to enjoy without making me sit closer. Why can't they do what Zelda does and slap the text slap bang in the middle of the screen?

Probably has been mentioned before, sorry!

Edit: MH3U - After you make your character, etc.

Why bother writing it, then?

...and while that could be true, with my brief experience from the 3DS version you kind of DO need to know which vendor does what, it IS questing after all, no? Squinting to read you need mushrooms or whatever is horrible regardless of how you spin it.

I'll give it another look(I did search the web for a fix afterwards last night with Capcom shrugging it off even on their own forums - idiots) but having such a glaringly simple problem is so, so disappointing.

I couldn't begin to complaint about the character model looking as if he's from the PS2 era of character creation design/amount of polygons, either.

Even if you could read anything it doesn't matter as Monster Hunter is purposefully vague with a steep learning curve. That's the beauty of it. Like the Souls games, it just throws you in at the deep end and you can work everything out for yourself.

That's fine, but any character is still character that could add to the experience, if you catch my meaning.

Braid, vague as it is would be a ton more shitter to me if I couldn't read those books before the start of each world.

I couldn't begin to complaint about the character model looking as if he's from the PS2 era of character creation design/amount of polygons, either.

That's because it basically is. It's a Wii game with a load of extra stuff and a bump in resolution.

The HUD stuff really is tiny, and it's not just the text either. The on-screen map is almost useless, so I've moved that to the gamepad where I can see it. It would be nice if you could just shift all the stat screens and dialogue there too, although it's still a bit annoying to keep switching between screen, gamepad and pro controller.

UI aside I'm quite intrigued by it all, although it does take its time building you up to a proper hunt.

Squinting to read you need mushrooms or whatever is horrible regardless of how you spin it.

I'll give it another look(I did search the web for a fix afterwards last night with Capcom shrugging it off even on their own forums - idiots) but having such a glaringly simple problem is so, so disappointing.

It's only an upscaled 3DS port. In no way does it really utilise the hardware.

And stop squinting, get glasses like I just did!

I can jump on later if anyone wants to do some hunting. I'll steam-roll through early stuff for fun.

Admittedly I do think my eyes are weakening too over the last year which doesn't help either. It'll have to be Robotnik shades or nothing, of course.

Does suck to hear it's been barely visually worked on from the 3DS and previous versions.

It being anything like PSO keeps the hope alive.

Yep, 3 was visually downgraded from Wii to PSP, then upgraded a little to 3DS - wiiu version is a port of the 3DS with some textures improved but mostly the same (one major improvement to 3 ultimate 3ds/wiiu is full shadows for mosnters) In areas the wii original looks a lot better than any other version.

Did a quick google here is one example of wii looking better with water :o

Anyway I hope you stick at it as once it clicks its amazing!