All things Monster Hunter - MHF/2/U - MHP3 and Tri

Quexex

Um, wow. This game.

Though I put about a hundred hours into MHFU, that was all single player...I had no idea how much more engaging the online would be. Had yesterday off work, so set off to get some hunting done. Ran into a friendly Mukker and, with the added help of some generous high level hunters, ploughed through a few ranks with relative ease...and the rest of the day just evaporated. Forgive me for not remembering the correct names for everything just yet...

Later on, found myself being helped out by another 2 random high level players, one of whom sounded like my father in law, the other I'm pretty certain was Shaft; both were extremely friendly. Shaft gave me some useful advice for starting armours to aim for, but I was still pretty baffled when I looked at the range of options that were opening up, and my upgraded Jaggi armour seemed to be doing ok, so why bother, right?...Then they left, and I was back in a room with 2 other hunters of around HR3, who wanted to go hunting some creature with explosive gooey hands.

Yeah, my Jaggi armour did NOT cut it.

Back to the armourer I went, and suddenly the options were making a whole lot more sense. Got myself kitted out with a Rathian set for a few hours, but am currently running with a patchwork monstrosity of Rathian, Rath Heart, and Rath Soul gear, as the defence seems far more important than set bonuses at my level. Also made myself a dios switch axe, which is very, very tasty.

Ended the night discovering what the guild cards are actually used for, then realising with a shock that is was about 1am. Already thinking about diversifying my weapon choices, and hoping to get help to complete my Rath Soul armour later on.

I am hooked :wub:

After the upwards vertical slice with the Switch Axe you can spam 'A' for a windmill slashing movement which will last as long as your stamina, so be sure to revert back to 'X' slashes before it runs out to keep up the combo.

Alternatively you can pop a Dash Juice and keep it going for about five minutes!

This is the height of gear-geekery, but I've been on the occasional evening this week helping people out and I love this set for LBG gunning with Normal Lv2 ammo.

It rapid-fires 3 Normal Lv 2 shells on every shot and holds 7 of those, which is usually plenty to expend while the monster isn't targeting you. Normal Up adds 10% to the damage, eating for Felyne Sharpshooter adds another 10% and 70% of shots should be getting critical hits for another 25% on top of that. With Combination Pro ensuring that every combine creates 4 shots, I can effectively bring 495 shots (which actually fire as 1485!) to every hunt.

Faces, Wrecked.

post-24630-0-77243000-1400062310_thumb.j

post-24630-0-32565300-1400062319_thumb.j

post-24630-0-53797500-1400062326.jpg

post-24630-0-44988300-1400062335.jpg

Though I put about a hundred hours into MHFU, that was all single player...I had no idea how much more engaging the online would be. Had yesterday off work, so set off to get some hunting done. Ran into a friendly Mukker and, with the added help of some generous high level hunters, ploughed through a few ranks with relative ease...and the rest of the day just evaporated. Forgive me for not remembering the correct names for everything just yet...

I think that was me (Nintendo ID tyagiUK, hunter name Harman). We had a good few hunts and some friendly high rank players helping out :)

I'm in the same boat as yourself - hundred+ hours in previous MH games, but still just HR3 on MH3U. I've never really invested the time to properly research and plan armour and weapons, just enjoying low rank hunting with a mish-mash of whatever I've put together and upgraded.

There was one guy with us yesterday who was HR640-something with an absolutely ridiculous bowgun. I might need to plan ahead for that one.

Yes, it was you! Your guild card chap successfully hunted a Gobul for me afterward, so thanks for that too ;)

I think too much planning ahead would actually diminish my enjoyment - I'm really enjoying the experience of hunting something new, heading to the smith to see what new toys have opened up afterwards, and deciding what to aim for from there. Think it would be a shame to lose too much of that sense of discovery ahead of time. Though that bowgun WAS amazing ;)

Thanks for the switch axe tip, Fallows. Getting the hang of it now, though not always getting the axe-sword combo right yet (must be messing up the timing), I'm definitely getting to be less useless!

Ok folks, be amazed that I have finally got a full set of Jaggi armour!

I know it's the first set, but I am feeling quite pleased at my achievement :D

That is Awesome, and you should come hunting with me and DoctorEgo for some low/mid HR level fun.

Weekdays probably don't work as I'll be on after 9PM Singapore time, which is the afternoon in the UK. However, weekends should be OK.

That is Awesome, and you should come hunting with me and DoctorEgo for some low/mid HR level fun.

Weekdays probably don't work as I'll be on after 9PM Singapore time, which is the afternoon in the UK. However, weekends should be OK.

I'm playing on 3DS which has no online multiplayer :(But I'm thinking of getting the Wii U version with the Mario Kart 8 promotion :)

Yeah, a few people have suggested Wroggi. I keep eyeing up this hammer that needs some Wroggi parts as well. Maybe I should go "full Wroggi" ;-)

The Wroggi armour looks dope as hell too, if that is important to you.

You know how to cap stuff? Make the beast limp and then chase it to where it goes off to sleep/recover. Set up a trap there and lure it in, if it's weak enough you should be able to finish the quest by tranquilising it (by throwing tranq. bombs at it).

The Wroggi armour looks dope as hell too, if that is important to you.

Yes, yes it does.

full Wroggi is absolutely vital against Gigginox

OK, top tip, thank you. I will "get my Wroggi on" tonight.

I'm playing on 3DS which has no online multiplayer :( But I'm thinking of getting the Wii U version with the Mario Kart 8 promotion :)

DO IT.

Nah, I wiped the floor with the Gigginox numerous times in my Jaggi set. It's not really that essential if you bring along antidotes.

I've done Gigginox a few times with an online group a few times with the armour I have. I only got poisoned twice overall, and just used antidote. Having poison resist would be useful, but I don't know if I'd prefer to have a poison weapon or poison resist armour...

Yes, get the Wii U version and join us!

I'm just missing the hat and trousers of my Rath Soul set now, so as it's not always easy to find people to go after Azure Rathalos (especially as at HR3 I'm too puny to set up the quest!), I've been helping people out and working on my switch axe skills. My Dios Axe+ is a thing of beauty, but I still need a solid grasp on a monster's move set if I'm to land a solid series of hits and not just flail around at where my target was a few seconds earlier. Good stuff.

Once my Rath Soul set is complete, intending to make myself a bow and some kind of gunner armour for when I fancy mixing things up a bit :)

You were HR1 with crappy gear a few days ago. How much have you been playing?!?!

I'm trying to work out how to put panels on the Wii U control pad screen. It's easy on 3DS, but I can't find the options on Wii U. Apparently I need to remove some panels from the main screen and they'll appear on the Wii U pad, but I'd actually like them on both. I may end up just using my Wii controller pro, which is good for monhun anyway.

Heh, it was mostly that first day that I went a little overboard, though it still seems like every room I end up in wants to farm Brachydios, hence the slightly insane axe.

Certainly won't be rocketing ahead anyway :)

Think a menu for panel config is available from the control pad screen if you pause the game while on a hunt, though I haven't found an option for the same panel to be displayed on both TV and pad unless you use the mirrored view.

EDIT: I don't mean "pause the game", I mean bring up the menu by pressing the minus button!

Thought I'd have a look at Abyssal Lagiacrus, two hours later I'm wearing a full set of his armour. xD I'm unsure what to gem in as that Critical Eye -2 just has to go, but then after that I don't have much room for anything else.

I can take a good kicking in it, so maybe it will last until I get the Uragaan set which endulges in defence and looks absolutely tanking.