All things Monster Hunter - MHF/2/U - MHP3 and Tri

Quexex

I read that Jaggi armour got a bit of a nerf in MH4U. It is a bit ridiculous in MH3U. In High rank, I'm running around with Attack Up (L), Negate Stun and a gemmed-in Speed Sharpening for very little effort. Having done as much village questing as I want to for now (did Steel Uragaan earlier, which took frigging ages) this armour set along with my first blue sharpness weapon are leading to absolute beastings in HR1 port quests.

A game shouldn't still be this much fun after you've already played it for so long :unsure:

There is no swimming and it's just much improved all round, go for it man. And proper online!

The best ones are the ones you just scrape through I think. I feel like I'm miles behind most of you at this point having only played 14 hours (!) but I hadn't fainted at all until I met a Gypceros for the first time there. Fucker took me over half an hour in which time I fainted twice (although I put him to bed three times so fair's fair I should have won anyway), he stole all my antidote, he stole my paintballs (and for good measure he then stole my map :lol:) , I could never work out how to avoid getting blinded and when I was finally down to bare bones with one Mega Potion left and struggling to find him I caught him asleep in a nest and finished him off with that ludicrous big charge blade combo before he could do anything about it. Got the sub-objective in the same swing I got the fatal blow too. HYPE.

This game, jeezo.

Been playing quite a lot of MH3U over the last week and have quickly racked up 25+ hours - it's a wee bit addictive.

Question though, I've been using sword and shield mainly and done most of the Lvl 1-3 quests but I don't quite understand the armour system.

I've got the Arzuros set, which I think is defence 12 at level 1 on each piece, but have used armour spheres to boost that to defence 15 at level 3. The more missions I've done I've started to unlock Wroggi, Jaggi and Ludroth sets at higher defence levels so seems like I'm wasting spheres by upgrading them individually.

Is it best to pick just one and boost it? Do they unlock more skills at higher levels? What's the max level per item (I need Armor Spheres+ for some now, which I haven't seen yet)

Apols for the barrage of question, I've seen in the thread that Jaggi is a good starter set, but my Arzuros seems to offer better stats unless I'm missing something.

Been playing quite a lot of MH3U over the last week and have quickly racked up 25+ hours - it's a wee bit addictive.

Question though, I've been using sword and shield mainly and done most of the Lvl 1-3 quests but I don't quite understand the armour system.

I've got the Arzuros set, which I think is defence 12 at level 1 on each piece, but have used armour spheres to boost that to defence 15 at level 3. The more missions I've done I've started to unlock Wroggi, Jaggi and Ludroth sets at higher defence levels so seems like I'm wasting spheres by upgrading them individually.

Is it best to pick just one and boost it? Do they unlock more skills at higher levels? What's the max level per item (I need Armor Spheres+ for some now, which I haven't seen yet)

Apols for the barrage of question, I've seen in the thread that Jaggi is a good starter set, but my Arzuros seems to offer better stats unless I'm missing something.

Armour has stats, but it also has elemental resistances and weaknesses. And then there are also skills. It sounds more complicated than it actually is, though.

Essentially, a high enough number in Def will negate the base damage from a monster attack, but you may get some residual damage from the elemental component of it. You want higher numbers, but honestly I wouldn't even consider the elemental damage at this point. So, yes, that Arzuros armour is a better bet than Great Jaggi in terms of raw stopping power. And, levelling it up is always beneficial.

However, Arzuros armour comes with a problem. It activates a skill that causes the Paralysis effect to stay in place for twice as long. It's not a massive problem, but it's something to take into account. It does give you another couple of good skills, a small boost to your defence and a small boost to your health recovery, but Great Jaggi armour gives you a small attack boost and, and this is much more useful, halves the time you'll spend stunned. (Skills require 10 points before they become active, so you can always use a gem to get them to 9 to switch them off, so to speak.)

Wroggi armour was my favourite set. The numbers aren't much better, but it keeps weapons sharper longer, and most beautifully of all STOPS YOU EVER GETTING POISONED! Trust me, this is the something you will desperately want before long. It soon gets to a point where you are thinking more about the skills than the raw numbers, because full sets always boost something but hinder something else. This is why people at higher levels tend to mix sets and utilise gems.

Armour has stats, but it also has elemental resistances and weaknesses. And then there are also skills. It sounds more complicated than it actually is, though.

Essentially, a high enough number in Def will negate the base damage from a monster attack, but you may get some residual damage from the elemental component of it. You want higher numbers, but honestly I wouldn't even consider the elemental damage at this point. So, yes, that Arzuros armour is a better bet than Great Jaggi in terms of raw stopping power. And, levelling it up is always beneficial.

However, Arzuros armour comes with a problem. It activates a skill that causes the Paralysis effect to stay in place for twice as long. It's not a massive problem, but it's something to take into account. It does give you another couple of good skills, a small boost to your defence and a small boost to your health recovery, but Great Jaggi armour gives you a small attack boost and, and this is much more useful, halves the time you'll spend stunned. (Skills require 10 points before they become active, so you can always use a gem to get them to 9 to switch them off, so to speak.)

Wroggi armour was my favourite set. The numbers aren't much better, but it keeps weapons sharper longer, and most beautifully of all STOPS YOU EVER GETTING POISONED! Trust me, this is the something you will desperately want before long. It soon gets to a point where you are thinking more about the skills than the raw numbers, because full sets always boost something but hinder something else. This is why people at higher levels tend to mix sets and utilise gems.

Cheers for that, I'd managed to twig on the skills +/- 10 from YouTube vids so had a decoration to -1 paralysis with Arzuros set. Think I'll work towards Jaggi and Wroggi sets also :)

Team Jaggi represent - easy to gem it to stop you ever getting stunned.

Stop doing yourself a disservice and get 4U – it's so much better than (the already incredibly amazing) 3U.

I don't have a 3DS and didn't get on with the screen size/controls on my daughter's 2DS with the demo :/

Waiting for the Wii U version.

Which will definitely happen.

:unsure:

• 3 months later...

Capcom just announced another Monster Hunter spinoff called Monster Hunter X for 3DS (not the Stories game) at their event in Japan just now. More action focused, apparently.

CGU3i6uVIAAspfq.jpg

Probably gonna see a trailer in the Nintendo Direct that's happening just now.

Trailer:

Ehhh. Getting pretty fed up of Capcom using the same assets over and over again. And not just assets now - seems they're satisfied with lifting entire locations and monsters, dumping them onto the most popular dedicated platform, adding a few bits and pieces and calling it a new game. Don't think we'll ever see a MH game on consoles again.

Most amazingly of all, it's made by From Software. Can you fucking imagine if the news had leaked beforehand? From Software is developing a brand new Monster Hunter game! Holy shit! And then they revealed that? It's some kind of sick joke. :(

Hey man, four is excellent as well. The thrill of managing a new weapon which fills you with confidence to tackle a previously unconquered monster is unbeatable. And I was thinking how much I love the verticality of the new game -esp. the rodeo bit. Hardly ever go multiplayer.

Just got my new (gun hammer and) wyvern blade. Only a few steps away from the absolutely bad-ass looking dios katana series *wub*

Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airou Village DX *breathes in*.

Looks like they turned the palico mini games from MH4 U into a full game, based on the pretty funny Felyne Village on the Edge G youtube series. Hmmm...

I thought the name sounded familiar, it's an updated Nintendo-themed port of the originally PSP spin-off series, the DX is usually an indicator of some sort of tart-up/port.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Diary:_Poka_Poka_Airou_Village

Trailer:

Ehhh. Getting pretty fed up of Capcom using the same assets over and over again. And not just assets now - seems they're satisfied with lifting entire locations and monsters, dumping them onto the most popular dedicated platform, adding a few bits and pieces and calling it a new game. Don't think we'll ever see a MH game on consoles again.

Only really been playing the series since number 4 (and a bit of one and three); but are there no new monsters and/ or locales in that trailer then?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...