All things Monster Hunter - MHF/2/U - MHP3 and Tri

Quexex

Wow, I cannot get the hang of the bow at all. It took me the entire Great Jaggi fight to realise I hadn't even equipped a coating (you need to press X+A to apply it, even once you've selected it using the L button) and I can't aim for shit.

So am I right in thinking you need to hold down X to charge, then hold R to aim and then release R to fire? If so then I don't have enough fingers left to use the c-stick to actually aim, which means I need to use the d-pad, which means I'm planted to the spot. Is this right, or am I missing something fundamental?

You're right, but I would actually save specifically aiming for when the monster is downed. Generally, I tend to take a spread bow, and just shoot where I'm looking. The nice thing about this is that all 5 of your arrows carry the coating effect, so you don't actually need to be super accurate. I'll admit that bow is not my speciality, I only use it on those rarest of occasions when there is another HH user in the team, but I do quite enjoy using it all the same.

Wow, I cannot get the hang of the bow at all. It took me the entire Great Jaggi fight to realise I hadn't even equipped a coating (you need to press X+A to apply it, even once you've selected it using the L button) and I can't aim for shit.

So am I right in thinking you need to hold down X to charge, then hold R to aim and then release R to fire? If so then I don't have enough fingers left to use the c-stick to actually aim, which means I need to use the d-pad, which means I'm planted to the spot. Is this right, or am I missing something fundamental?

There's a rhythm to it - you usually charge, plant/aim shoot and then run unless the monster is downed/paralysed/trapped/otherwise busy. IIRC you should just release X to fire. If the monster is running past you, or you're at the right distance for the shot type and the monster's size, you don't need to stop and aim, just point your hunter and shoot.

On the Wii U, I usually end up tweaking the right stick with a spare finger for camera control while charging.

For arrow rain, you need to master the range for your current bow and aiming by just pointing your hunter in the right direction. It's super satisfying once you nail it and you can run to the right range with a charged bow and quickly turn and let loose, nailing the monster on the bonce for added KO damage.

Golden Rathian and Silver Rathalos are really fun to bow against.

Did the series improve that much over the course of 4 games?

I remember playing the original MH on my PSP back in the days, not really liking it much, and hence not really bothering with the sequels; yet after a few minutes on the UMH4 demo, it feels like I only want to play this game for the rest of the year.

You do need the circle pad pro attachment - or a n3DS - to get the full experience.

Tried a few rounds with my beloved SwAx and then gave the new weapons a go. The Charge Blade being so similar to the Axe felt slightly more natural but watching a video guide to it, there's some amazing damage potential. You can block a Diablos charge with a powered-up shield and knock him out! Definitely one I'll be trying out a lot more.

For anyone who has tried the demo and (still) doesn't get it, I can't stress enough that finding a weapon that works for you is basically the key that unlocks the door.

Every weapon is genuinely different and completely changes how you approach the entire game. The 200 hours I spent on MH3U was almost entirely with a single weapon that I didn't fully master either. This isn't a game where you decide you'll be a melee or a ranged fighter like an action RPG. As said so many times before, it's a fighting game and the weapons are characters to choose from.

I've no real issue with unremarkable visuals - like shirubagan says, it doesn't need to be pretty - but I have to admit that playing this on the tiny 3DS screen is a bit of a slog. Everything feels really cramped and scaled down. The ghosting on text is really distracting too. I'm very much hoping the new 3DS XL will improve the experience because at the moment I'd honestly rather boot up MH3U on my TV again.

The music in the demo is pretty weak too, no? Perhaps it's just placeholder demo stuff, I dunno. The title tune and the victory theme when you succeed a hunt are particularly underwhelming. Hmm.

Played some solo demo runs this morning and Charge Blade is definitely The One this time round. Destroyed Jaggi and Tetsucabra with no trouble and then had one of those long, draining, terrifying fights with Gore. Chased halfway across the map with 2 embarrassing carts but finally it went down and the prancing began.

Playing so long with the Switch Axe and its lack of defence has given me bad habits though. I didn't use the shield once and really need to work on my Guard Points. But the journey begins here (on February 13th)!

I played the demo, picked 'advanced' and went for the middle mission. Picked the great sword and went and twatted the fuck out of a big thing with horns that could pick up and chuck rocks.

It was brilliant.

Really looking forward to this. The area 'rooms' seem larger and with a lot more 'verticality' going on.

Does the new 3DS benefit this game at all other than the right stick? I've got a control stick for my XL - and I reckon I'll just play with that. Don't think my wallet can justify Majora, this *and* a new console on the same day.