All things Monster Hunter - MHF/2/U - MHP3 and Tri

Quexex

I've been meaning to write something about this for a while and a thread search has proved that no one here has bought into MHF2 on the PSP! Now this is a game like many on RLLMUK that deserves it own thread and I'm surprised and slightly bemused at it's absence ... (waits for some one to post link to the original thread and shame may sorry arse)

This began just before Xmas when a couple of guys I work with got PSP's, we had been discussing game and one of the guys suggested MHF2. It's something I'd seen in passing and considered on quite a few occasions HMV nearly got me to cave on their two for 30 deal. The next day I was handed a sealed copy, the two for 30 deal was still on and my work mate had bought two copies in a hope to coax me along for the ride!

And so it began - 3hrs of 'tutorials' which is really underselling it and sounds frankly awful, but it's not, it's necessary and everything you do contributes to your 'stuff'.

After learning the basics you head off into the world of Elder quests, Cat chefs and a Pokke farm all of which are beautify entwined to make what is one of finest crafted games in recent times. The level of complexity is astounding perfectly balanced wonderfully realised every little detail make sense within the world and I have never felt more like a hunter gatherer than I have in MHF2.

The game play is typical Capcom balancing inventory management along side a deep combat mechanic spread across a vast range of weapons all with different strengths and weaknesses. Writing this reminds me why I haven't done this before as describing monster hunter is a pretty daunting task! There is just so much to it it's hard to capture it in words without rambling on!

The basics are hunting and gathering, combining and crafting. Everything you get can be used in some way to make something else so much of this is probably covered in the old PS2 threads.

So why arn't 3 Million Japanese wrong why has it been so successful on the PSP? Mainly it's due to the portability, I could never invest 70hrs in a home console game let alone the 100+ I expect to be spending doing some of the top tier monsters. It's well suited to a half hour commute or a lunch hour session with smaller bite size chunks of gameplay managing your farm or popping out for a quick gathering mission to amass more Pokke points.

Then there's the killer blow wireless multi-player - Hunters of mixed levels can easily play together as I have experience first hand as the other two guys I play with are at least 30hrs ahead of me but it's help me access higher level missions quicker and get more advanced armour and weapons which help me on my way with my own quests.

Then there's the sharing of information, discoveries and tactics which works so much better while sat around together as opposed to over the internet.

Anyway better sign off, hopefully this will bring out some of my fellow hunters to get more people ready for MHFU!

Off to sharpen my Hellsting+ gun lance and don my Tigrex armour autotracker FTW :lol:

Cheers

Quexex

You didnt search very well then cuz I've been going on about it for ages :o

I played a lot of the 1st one and have picked up the 2nd game again while I am in Japan for the last week and bit (when in rome and all that) and I'm totally hooked once again. It was Monter Hunters 5th birthday here in Japan yesterday and there was some restaurants selling Monster Hunter themed dishes which shows you how big it is here, managed to pick up the CGI art book as well and some cute little cat toys :lol:

I am baffled as to why it hasnt taked off on here as well, maybe it's TOO hardcore? But it does annoy me a bit that PSU has happily chugged along with it's own folder while Monster Hunter the infinately better game barely gets a mention, something to do with no true online play I guess but the 1st Monster Hunter on PS2 did have and that got totally ignored as well :lol:

It's an amazing game which appeals to my hording nature and has some increadible highs and lows, sometimes it makes you want to chuck your PSP out the window in frustration other times jump for joy as that big git finally falls under your hammer smashes.

Just wish I had someone to play co-op with, was well jelous of those 4 people I saw in KFC in Shinjuku all bashing the crap out of some big dragon i'll have to take on solo.

I played the first one to death, it's brilliant, such a strange atmosphere to the whole game.

Unfortunately I've never been able to play it in multiplayer either and MH2 not having internet conectivity meant I never bought it.

Still ace game and one that I seem to remember just me and melon bread going on about originally :lol:

I think the first two games on PS2 suffered in Europe due the general shitness of the online and the lack of network adapters. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite PSP is coming out with an extra download for the PS3 to allow wireless multiplayer across the internet. I'm hoping Capcom release it over here especially considering your save game from MHF2 get's transferred across!

Quick bump just for those that maybe playing this or any of the other PSP games - 2ndG anyone? Also thanks to Jim for my Sushi Chef cat of all the tchotchkes I could have got off you getting a Monster Hunter Chef cat is the ultimate win :wub:

In other MH news I recently got myself a crab bashing hammer which has absolutely devastating power, the hammer could become my new weapon of choice.

Which is the one to play then? I had a go at one of them a while ago (I think it had to be patched to English) and after playing an hour of tutorials my brain exploded with the complexity... and the sad knowledge that I'd probably have nobody to play with. :wub:

Quick bump just for those that maybe playing this or any of the other PSP games - 2ndG anyone? Also thanks to Jim for my Sushi Chef cat of all the tchotchkes I could have got off you getting a Monster Hunter Chef cat is the ultimate win :wub:

In other MH news I recently got myself a crab bashing hammer which has absolutely devastating power, the hammer could become my new weapon of choice.

I love the hammers in MH. Been playing MHF2 on and off for a while, and my main weapon is the Onslaught Hammer - 1,092 attack. I'm working towards the Diablo Chaos Broker which has 1,196 attack (though negative affinity). I hate killing Diablos, though, so it's going to take a while.

Best thing about hammers other than the insane damage is that you can bash your team mates around with them, which never seems to stop amusing me. Quite annoying for them, mind.

Yeeeaaah!

We've got a little crew that met up in pubs for boozy behemoth slaying sessions.

I should imagine, to the onlooker, we appear quite odd shouting 'It's here! It's here!' and 'Oh, that big monkey just trumped on me'.

Using Hammers as well, I lost my save in a memory stick accident so have started again while I was on hols in Japan, about 30 hours in, killing crabs with the Kut-Ku hammer and trying to make my hermitaur armor set, so now I look like an american football player, well one with a large hammer straped to thier backs.

I was waiting out for the wii version but now it sounds like that may not happen (maybe? is it?) this looks like my best option.

The main problem is finding people to play this with could be difficult at best, so does the game play well when I'm flying solo, or is all the joy in a heard of mates chopping down dink the last dinosaur?

Theres a ton of solo quests and you can do the group quests solo as well if you want more of a challenge. It's like PSO you level your character solo then if you've got people to play with group up to make Monster Hunting easier as far as I know nothing is held back from the solo player.

Solo game also has a little cat farm to cultivate, a pet pig that you can dress up, and more cats that cook food for you in your kitchen.

If you don't have people locally to play with it might be best to wait for the western release of Monster Hunter Freedom 2G (MHF Unite as it'll be called over here). In that you can hire NPC characters to come on quests with you, which would probably making the game easier to play on your own, plus if you have a PS3 you can play the game online (assuming they bring that feature over).

Sounds good. Is there a release date for that? May just go for the latest on UK PSP in the meantime - it's cheap enough these days.

Not sure they've announced a date yet. You can transfer your MH Freedom 2 character and equipment over to Unite, so if you do go for that one, you'll be able to move over to Unite when it comes out.

Not sure they've announced a date yet. You can transfer your MH Freedom 2 character and equipment over to Unite, so if you do go for that one, you'll be able to move over to Unite when it comes out.

monster hunter freedom united is due stateside the end of this summer (august I believe) to give you an idea of when the english language localization will be complete.

I think the first two games on PS2 suffered in Europe due the general shitness of the online and the lack of network adapters. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite PSP is coming out with an extra download for the PS3 to allow wireless multiplayer across the internet. I'm hoping Capcom release it over here especially considering your save game from MHF2 get's transferred across!

Ok first off, its called Ad hoc Party, and its been freely available on the Japanese PS3 store since end November 2008.

I have been using this with a UK PS3 and UK PSP with Both Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G

I have been threatning to make a guide as to how to do this, but didnt have a place to put it, now I do! watch this space.

PS I am a HR lv 9 on 2nd G, got over 350 hours in total in both games, and still loveing them MH.

Uploading pictures to Flick R now, will be posting a guide as to how to get the Ad Hoc party app first, then how to use it

I have a PSN ID just for MHF2 and 2nd G, add me: Doc_NI_MH

I am only a HR 1 in MHF2, but if any of you have 2nd G I can help you farm, etc. To give you an idea of how imense the extra equipment in 2ndG make you I have finished the crab dinner quest (2 Diaymo Hermitars) in less than 2.30 minutes!!!!! Materials GET!!!

Ok How to get the Ad Hoc Part App part 1

Setting up a Japanese PS3 Account.

I coouldnt find an up-to-date photo guide on how to do this so here is some help from me, to encourage you to all get online with your PSPs

Ok you will need a PS3, and a wired connection (so the ad hoc party will work)

Basically these are screen shots of the various pages of the proceedure for setting up a UK account, the page layouts are near identical for the Japanese account. Therefore just print of the screen shots, or views them near your PS3 while you go through setting up your Japanese account.

Ok this bit is easy, no need for help here, use real details if you like.

japaneseaccount1.th.jpg

Ok this has to be a real email address, I used a different one to my UK account. Write down your password so you wont forget it.

japaneseaccount2.th.jpg

Another easy one, your Online ID, I would recommend using the same as your UK account and adding MH or something similar to the end!! (Doc_NI and Doc_NI_MH for example)

japaneseaccount3.th.jpg

Another easy one, I used my real details here. (I missed a page but the T&C one should be obvious to spot, just scroll to the bottom and accept the left option.)

japaneseaccount4.th.jpg

Bit more complex this one, the first address line needs to be 3 digits. Then make the rest of the boxes up (I live in Otaku vill, Osaka, Japan!) If stuck mess around until it accepts your address, bit of trial and error ma be required.

japaneseaccount5.th.jpg

Last one, dont tick the boxes or you email acocunt will be spammed with Japanese junk mail from Sony. It will confirm your email at the bottom, I have smudged mine out. Your done, congrats, that is the hard bit.

japaneseaccount6.th.jpg

Next up will be a guide on how to DL the ad Hoc party and How to use it.

Please go no further if you dont have a LAN connection for your PS3 internet connection, Ad Hoc Party blocks wirless use, only Lan will do (the PSP uses the wireless of course)

thats wicked stuff Doc will try when I get home from hols.

After getting stuck on Khezu for ages I finally downed him with a fire SnS hacking away slowly then bombing the crap out of him while he slept. Now I've blasted thru all the *** elder quests no doubt about to hit another immoveable object in the form of the next urgent quest.

Balls! I have a Japanese account but can't for the life of me find the item in the store! If I can get this running as Doc says I'm going to be very happy! Especially after recruiting another hunter recently we can now do a load of the early guild quest together!

thats wicked stuff Doc will try when I get home from hols.

After getting stuck on Khezu for ages I finally downed him with a fire SnS hacking away slowly then bombing the crap out of him while he slept. Now I've blasted thru all the *** elder quests no doubt about to hit another immoveable object in the form of the next urgent quest.

Khezu is a right pain in the arse - Running away when he's raging is the key. I used a Hellsting Gun Lance and I had to face him twice to get the Eager Cleaver! Oh and If they go to sleep it's time for a shock trap! Capturing is the key to getting a lot more stuff than you can get from carves! Once you set the trap go over and give him a kick to wake him up (Select) and run behind your trap until he steps in it then tranc bomb until he passes out (usually takes two or three).

Balls! I have a Japanese account but can't for the life of me find the item in the store! If I can get this running as Doc says I'm going to be very happy! Especially after recruiting another hunter recently we can now do a load of the early guild quest together!

It's in the second to last category from the main page (has little diamond shapes by the category name).

OK got this downloading now! If anyone else is interested on the Japanese PSN Store from the front page it's the 7th item down. There are only two downloads in this section ones a video ones clearley marked as Adhoc party! Also intersetingly this isn't just for MH, it's supported by a lot of titles!

See here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhoc_Party_f...tation_Portable

OK got this downloading now! If anyone else is interested on the Japanese PSN Store from the front page it's the 7th item down. There are only two downloads in this section ones a video ones clearley marked as Adhoc party! Also intersetingly this isn't just for MH, it's supported by a lot of titles!

See here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhoc_Party_f...tation_Portable

# Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus

# Street Fighter Alpha 3: Double Upper

# Monster Hunter Portable 2G

* Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

* Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

# Wipeout Pure

--------------------

WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?????