Revisiting the PS2

Uzi

No you don't need to have a chipped PS2 to use the HDD, but of course you will need a Network Adapter. USBAdvance is a Poor mans HDLoader for the Slim PS2. The PS2's USB ports are 1.1 so the transfer speed is not good, leading to stuttering and poor game compatibilities. HDAdvance, the other retail option is also now very outdated and not particularly useful compared to the more up to date HDLoaders.

What i'd suggest if you're interested in HDD gaming is to make sure you can source a NA (if you haven't already got one) and an Action Replay Max Evo (the one with the USB stick) and then look into installing FMCB. This will allow you to launch PS2 elf's, one of which being the aforementioned HDLoader, which you'd use for your HDD gaming.

Frankly unbelievable that no one has mentioned Frequency. Stands up as well today as it did when it came out. Still pisses on Guitar Hero and it's ilk.

For rhythm action nothing comes anywhere close to the PS2. Frequency & amplitude, Rez, guitaroo man, space channel 5 (part 2 at least) - all the best ones are on PS2.

Just had a day of going back to the PS2 and am now finding it difficult to go back to the 360.

The games I have on the 360 seem so sterile and homogenous in comparison to the vibrant diversity of my PS2 collection.

I could hardly pick which title I was going to stick in first there was so much choice. A far cry from the Xbox where I find I almost have to force myself to be enthusiastic about whatever game I am about to play.

Anyway I started out with a 'quick bash' on FF XII which soon stretched into a two hour session doing a bit of Gamefaqs assisted treasure hunting and then busting the chops off the Ultima Esper. Absolutely amazing game and I am not even an RPG fan really. I was surprised (and ashamed) to find that I had put in 150 hours on my save file and the combat was still varied, fun and challenging which is more than I can say for Oblivion after a fraction of that playtime.

Then popped in Gradius V, which looks absolutely perfect even on a large HDTV. I am determined to finish this fucker. Those gloopy regenerating walls that you have to fly through still ruin me - I just can't get the technique down. Anyway I am determine to finish this now.

Finally I had a very quick blast on Guitaroo Man. Master's play is madness, pure madness. I am not even close to getting through the second stage. The face button bits in the battle stages ruin me. Do people do this with the controller in the standard grip using just their thumb for the face buttons or should I be switching stance to use my fingers? Anyway fucking difficult but loads of fun - I can't get that bastard song out of my head!

Some time this week I am going to give We Love Katamari another go. I was surprised that it didnt grip me first time round, as I usually like the kind of "keep replaying the level until you beat it properly" games. I've remember I got a few of the glowy planets/moons but then got intimidated by/lost in the larger levels.

SSX 3 also caught my eye. I fucking loved that! Where is the new one? I might max out another character.

It's crazy. If it wasn't for online play I don't think I would get very much play out of my Xbox at all. The only "challenges" that I look forward to completing are getting over 30k on Deadline in Geometry Wars 2 and finishing Guitar Hero.

Finally I had a very quick blast on Guitaroo Man. Master's play is madness, pure madness. I am not even close to getting through the second stage. The face button bits in the battle stages ruin me. Do people do this with the controller in the standard grip using just their thumb for the face buttons or should I be switching stance to use my fingers?

I know some top players use standard grip with just thumb (gawd knows how) but I always held the pad with all three fingers of my right had on the face buttons - loads easier.

Then popped in Gradius V, which looks absolutely perfect even on a large HDTV. I am determined to finish this fucker. Those gloopy regenerating walls that you have to fly through still ruin me - I just can't get the technique down. Anyway I am determine to finish this now.

Great post, I'm still loving the PS2 as well. In particular though, I remember that part of Gradius as well, it was my biggest barrier in trying to 1 credit /1 life the game. I'd love to hear the proper technique if anyone knows it. Actually, why don't I just go search on youtube! :lol:

Frankly unbelievable that no one has mentioned Frequency. Stands up as well today as it did when it came out. Still pisses on Guitar Hero and it's ilk.

For rhythm action nothing comes anywhere close to the PS2. Frequency & amplitude, Rez, guitaroo man, space channel 5 (part 2 at least) - all the best ones are on PS2.

The only problem is HDTVs can make a lot of these games unplayable, or needlessly difficult, due to their processing lag. :lol:

Well thank you all - I've been following this thread for a bit and on a whim decided to buy a new PS2 Slim which should arrive in a few days. I look forward to going back to all the games i never finished :lol:

Interestingly enough, although I have it, I haven't been tempted to put in Amplitude again.

For better or worse, the Guitar Hero franchise has taken it's rhythm action spot for me.

I wish I had an arcade stick for my PS2 as Guilty Gear X2 Reload is crying out to me, but after busting my nuts adapting to a joystick for SFIV I don't think I want to go back to a pad now.

It really was the best console ever wasn't it?

I've got so many PS2 games to play.

And yet I'm still playing the same one since March, Persona 3 FES! Loving it though and nearly there I think, 86 hours on the clock now :lol:

One of the few that I am interested in but haven't got. I'm getting fairly tempted what with all the fervent love for it going round. What it's like? I haven't played all that many RPGs. I was absolutely unable to get any enjoyment at all out of Phantom Brave so that's kind of put a sour taste in my mouth with regards to really Japanesey RPGs - with hindsight I should have been a bit more patient, spent a few more quid and got Disgaea but GamesTM/Eurogamer loved it as I recall.

As well as that other games I am tempted to pick up if I spy a bargain are:

Odin Sphere

Viewtiful Joe 2 (I have the first one and loved it)

Zone of Enders 2 (Unlikely, but I wanted it for so long I really feel I should get it)

What do people make of those?

And yet I'm still playing the same one since March, Persona 3 FES! Loving it though and nearly there I think, 86 hours on the clock now :lol:

Don't even think of finishing this with anything less than lvl 80 characters.

I never stopped playing PS2. Okami, Yakuza 2, Odin Sphere, Persona 3 and 4 pretty much kept my interest in the thing alive, right up to the present day. Ok, so Odin Sphere hasn't grabbed me in the way I expected, but it's undisputedly beautiful and worth investigating all the same; Yakuza 2's a massive improvement on the original, with far more interactivity and a greatly improved (but still slightly flawed) combat system, and the Persona games rank among the very best JRPG's on the system - utterly essential for fans of the genre.

Long live PS2, and long-live the attitude that great games deserve to be played regardless of their age.

One of the few that I am interested in but haven't got. I'm getting fairly tempted what with all the fervent love for it going round. What it's like? I haven't played all that many RPGs. I was absolutely unable to get any enjoyment at all out of Phantom Brave so that's kind of put a sour taste in my mouth with regards to really Japanesey RPGs - with hindsight I should have been a bit more patient, spent a few more quid and got Disgaea but GamesTM/Eurogamer loved it as I recall.

It's a breath of fresh air if you're tired of the JRPG genre at all.

The usual JRPG is that you're introduced to the main character/hero and a quest/mission and you embark on it. The game then takes you through set locations to make it all feel like some epic journey, so usually you go from town, to area, to dungeon, to bla bla. Phantom Brave is more of a strategy RPG though which mainly focuses on the big complex battles.

Persona 3/4 (not played 4 yet- still got it sitting here waiting for when 3 is dusted) feels and more or less is paced completely differently. Here you take on the life of the main character, but not on some epic quest/journey in the traditional sense, but you literally take on his day by day life. It's just so much easier to take in and play, you can live your life in the day usually how you wish whether it's paying attention in school, choosing which schoolmates to associate with (they all have different personalities so give your character different bonuses), drinking coffee in a fancy place to increase your charm or studying to do well in the exams that come by now and again. I'm giving a very butchered and crappy explanation perhaps, but all of these actions only take a few minutes but feel like real progression, which means you could turn on the game for 20 mins, play it and then turn it off. Theres no massive commitment.

Of course the other side of the game is at night you can choose to take these skills and items you earn in the day and take on the labyrinth/main dungeon in the game. You climb it floor by floor, meeting bosses and getting more difficult as it goes along. The combat system is brilliant, beautifully balanced and easy to pick up.

The great thing is because the game keeps you in familiar locations for the majority of the game you get to see your effects on the people there as time moves on, but also when you leave these locations its also really exciting to see new places rather than be bombarded by them without getting attached to any. It's well worth a shot, most people who do try it absolutely love it.

I've started playing a couple of PS2 games again, Shadow of the Colossus (which, no trolling intended, I just don't get the fuss to be honest) and Gregory Horror Show which I'm only early into, but seems really good.

Me too. I tried the sequel but I couldn't really get on with it. It bored me a bit.

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but I don't recall there being quite so many 'puzzle' elements in the first one. It's a bit contrived and slows down the pace of the game. You'll get a new ability of some kind and then have to use it to open a door or something. I got stuck twice before consulting GameFAQs, then got stuck again and couldn't be bothered going through the motions. The fighting is fun, though. POW!

Shadow of the Colossus (which, no trolling intended, I just don't get the fuss to be honest)

It's epic minimalism. Simple idea, expanded beautifully. You probably need to like the idea of boss fights, though.

Almost there! If you're into december I'd recommend making a second save, just in case, since I've heard some people had some trouble with the last few bosses. Also, you can unlock the 'secret' dungeon Monad to level incredibly quickly and then fuse some really incredible personas.

I still haven't gotten into the spirit of Persona 4 though, it's been left unplayed for about 2 months now. After getting to the fourth dungeon, I just feel a little Persona'd out.. even though I played Persona 3 over a year ago now! I guess it happens when you pour about a hundred hours into the game though. I just don't really like a lot of the new elements of the battle system (lack of enemy weaknesses, no auto heal when returning to the entrance, new shuffle time), although on the flip side I really do like the new town and characters. It'll get played eventually!

Yes.

USB HDD if you can't fit one in (I'm not up on PS2 revisions but I think one had the network adapter separate where as mine fits onto a HDD inside the machine). Use the network to upload an ISO to the HDD (slow but you ain't got a choice, it is worth it). I've got ALL 67 games on mine, except one which doesn't work off the disc (a Capcom cash-cow compilation).

I have the very first network adapter, courtesy of Sony's beta test. I can plug a hard disk into it, no problem. Do I need to do anything at all with the hard disk before plugging it in?

Also, are there any size limitations I should be aware of?

no auto heal when returning to the entrance

I guess it's the payoff for not feeling fatigued...being rubbish at RPGs, I used to abuse the hell out of the auto healing in Persona 3 until every party member was shattered. :wub: In P4 I just pressed on as much as I could until I was either very low on SP or outside the door of a boss. :wub:

But for me, the positives of P4 outweigh the negatives - I liked the way that S. Links seemed to advance a bit quicker, the smaller dungeons as an alternative to one huge tower, the variety between the dungeons in terms of presentation, the direct commands for characters... I wasn't too bothered about shuffle time myself (well, unless I cackhandedly revealed a penalty after a particularly grueling battle.)

Aside from the odd difficulty spike of a boss, one area where I failed miserably was with the investigation sequences, where you have to talk to various people around Inaba, asking the right questions to the right people in the right order. In a way it shouldn't have bothered me, because it's not too different to, say, Phoenix Wright's similar sequences... but after a few minutes of going in circles I'd just get frustrated and jump onto the nearest FAQ... :D

Not as good as the first I'm sad to say, but that was pretty much a given considering Kamiya didn't work on it. Has more puzzle sections than the first one and you get to play as Silvia, though Joe is still the best (well Dante was probably better actually :wub:). Worth a play through if you liked the original a lot, you get to beat Fire Lord Leo's brother in it too, thiough he seemed like a walk over by comparison from what I remember.

It also features an interesting challenge mode called The 36 Chambers, which is rock hard in my opinion and I barely managed any of them.

Well my PS2 slim arrived - maaaaann it's teeny. Anyway the big question is what do I start with - I'm considering the Sly Raccoon games as I just finished inFamous and to my shame never actually played any of Sucker Punch's other output.

Okami.

that's on my list as well to be fair - I never quite got round to finishing it as my PS2 by that time was on it's last legs and only booted games as and when it pleased. I think I have a save about 70% through on my memory card still.

Well my PS2 slim arrived - maaaaann it's teeny. Anyway the big question is what do I start with - I'm considering the Sly Raccoon games as I just finished inFamous and to my shame never actually played any of Sucker Punch's other output.

I recently finished to God of War in a bid to complete the unfinished games on my shelf. Absolutely brilliant.

that's on my list as well to be fair - I never quite got round to finishing it as my PS2 by that time was on it's last legs and only booted games as and when it pleased. I think I have a save about 70% through on my memory card still.

Start it again, it's worth it.

So started playing Sly Raccoon 1 and it looks great - I am having one minor problem though - maybe I'm getting old or something but the difficulty level is off the scale. I died on the 1st level proper more than should be reasonable in a game. Can anyone that played it tell me if it's like this all the way through?