IGNORED

Shooting is boring. We're stuck in a rut.

CS2x

You can still play all the old games , it's not like they vanished.

Play say like Far cry 2 , Call of duty or halo and they are so different from each other. Plus they show of your big tv like no other games, seeing someones we dome in the distance and blasting him in the tefal with your sniper.

I always assume people moaning about these things are just lazy. Pure and simple lazy.

Theres plenty of variety out there in gaming today if you just go looking. Shooty games are just popular, just like romantic comedies and action movies are in the cinema it doesn't mean you have to exclusively watch them, just like it doesn't mean you have to follow the herd everytime, look at your collection and cry. Don't wanna play gears at the moment, then download or get Dreamfall!

This.

I have a few games that involve shooting, though most of them differ from each other. Playing Left4Dead is a completely different experience than playing Gears of War 2. Or Geometry Wars 2. And there are indeed many, many games that don't or hardly involve shooting at all.

In the end though, what's important to me is whether or not a game is fun. I don't need them to tell me the meaning of life.

Games used to be all about shooting. Less so these days, surely? Casual games are taking over the charts and people here are moaning that too many games are about shooting?!

Actually the 16 bit era was completely swamped with platformers. SWAMPED

(if you didn't look around at a lot of the games- see mah point lolz)

Games used to be all about shooting. Less so these days, surely? Casual games are taking over the charts and people here are moaning that too many games are about shooting?!

Doesn't seem to be much middle ground though

There's a lot of gruff macho bullshit space marines firing shotguns into each others faces or it's Pippa Funnell: Ranch Rescue and Disney Sing It! High School Musical 3

I'm exaggerating of course, but sometimes it feels like that - especially if you have the misfortune to stumble into a branch of GAME <shudder>

Doesn't seem to be much middle ground though

There's a lot of gruff macho bullshit space marines firing shotguns into each others faces or it's Pippa Funnell: Ranch Rescue and Disney Sing It! High School Musical 3

It sounds like we need more titles along the lines of "Singstar: Marine Corps Call And Response".

Quick, someone make a "minigames are boring" thread to restore balance.

EDIT: actually, I've often wanted to create a minigame compendium themed around the activities of a bunch of space marines, just to see if it could deliver the best of both worlds. But I digress...

Think of the thousands upon thousands of hours of your life - while at your absolute peak - you've spent playing games.

It takes hindsight to truly appreciate regret.

Still, i'll most likely be playing sf4 tonight.

I quite like shooting, or ordering guys to shoot things. But as people seem to be saying, there's loads of other game types around at the moment so it's not like it's JUST shooters. Please correct me but the only genres that seemed to have died in years are text adventures and platformers getting rarer. That said, I'm not desperate to play Resi 5 if it's all shooting as there are better shooters and the Resi story/crazy bosses/Wesker are the main draw tbh.

What about an fps where you are just a medic and have to keep people alive? Or a paramedic simulator!

Don't worry, it's here!

4smps0.jpg

What the fuck is that? Is it that Bullet Witch thing, or some Rumble Roses spinoff?

The thing is, I often watch my brother play Halo 3 - he's a decade younger than me - and think, "Good god this is boring." But I know if I were his age I would be all over that stuff. It's definitely about age. If you don't find the right games, you can easily go off gaming.

This is definitely true. At one point in my formative years, I would have thought Sonic turning into a werewolf was the coolest thing ever.

This is why next gen has never appealed to me. Old git.gif

Still enjoy quirky gaming on PC and DS, love retro emulation but find myself totally unenthused by the mainstream mentality of run and gun.

To be fair though, the next gen has brought PSN and a bunch of really original and good gaming experiences that are anything but BANG BANG.

I think the word 'shooting' in the title could be replaced by pretty much any genre of game. We're at the stage where having a platform game where you can walk upside down is considered a great leap forward, where putting blue skies into a first person game is considered a brave move.

I love my 360. I love that, after I'd become so jaded with gaming one console can make me feel excited about my old hobby once more. I love Half-Life 2, GTA4, Burnout Paradise, Left 4 Dead - I love what these games have brought to the table, what they've done to change and expand the horizons of gaming.

But at the same time I wonder why I'm still having to kill the bad guys and beat the levels and go for the high score. I wonder why - whether I'm playing single player or multiplayer - the emphasis is still almost always on competition. Why can't we have games about characters and emotions and relationship? Why can't we have games about jealousy and love and family and remorse? Why is it that whenever a game tries to tackle these things it's always tacked onto something else?

It's 2009 and the most popular character in gaming is still a blue fucking hedgehog 'with attitude'. In a medium with the potential to take us places movies, TV shows and novels cannot, there's something incredibly wrong with that.

I've had exactly the same thoughts for years now, and rarely play games. I hibernate, just reading about them, hoping that a gem will come along to force me out of retirement. I agree how depressing it is that we can create these beautiful virtual worlds, but then rarely allow any interaction beyond hitting and shooting things. Bioshock was particularly grating in this respect. Such an amazing atmosphere and world to visit - and such banal and repetitive experiences on offer.

If you see games as a sport - skill based, high scores, competition - then this gen, with its internet extras, is doing fine. But if you want emotion, narrative, character - well things are totally frozen, and have been since the early 90's, since something like Doom miraculously appeared.