IGNORED

Help Me Design A Banner For My Portfolio Website

Belbo

Given that I'm not an illustrator, and that many of you people are, I wondered if anyone fancied coming up with a banner design for my in-development portfolio website. As I don't know what the site is going to be called yet (there is no 'brand' except me) I guess that the only real criteria regarding content is that it must say my name and it must demonstrate that the site is a portfolio of work. By me. Other than that ... free reign? Well, except the specifications I've outlined below. I've also uploaded two colour swabs, which hopefully will make the colour selection choice easier, or at least partially pre-determined.

The portfolio is primarily concerned with audio/music work, but covers a range of multimedia and also writing. But mostly audio.

The first one demonstrates the main, underlying colours of the site. The portfolio is based on a dark background, and so the first three colours of that swab will be most relevant for the background or bulk of the banner. The second swab demonstrates the six extra colours which are present on the site, which are link colours and menu choice colours. These will be most relevant for the making the text/illustrations of the banner stand out against the dark backdrop.

Obviously all this is just a guide.

Swab%2001.png

Swab%2002.png

Specifications:

Resolution: 1000 x 90 Banner

Content: "David Heath" & "Portfolio"

Colours: Swab 1 = Backdrop, Swab 2 = Foreground

FEEL FREE TO USE FLASH AND UPLOAD SWFs IF YOU LIKE

... and if noone bothers, well, whatever. I just thought I'd put the task out there in case anyone fancied a shot at it.

Here was my effort at designing the backdrop part of the banner, playing on the audio theme. Feel free to build upon this if you like the look of it:

http://www.thefruitsoup.com/miscellany/dav...ab%20Banner.png

You're swab banner is just a black rectangle. It's really hard to design banners for other peoples sites, especially portfolios as it's then not their work. If i was you, i'd go with a simple gradient, a logo of some kind and maybe some text. Doesn't have to be too complex.

You're swab banner is just a black rectangle.

I think you need to get a better monitor, or adjust your screen's angle slightly.

It's really hard to design banners for other peoples sites, especially portfolios as it's then not their work. If i was you, i'd go with a simple gradient, a logo of some kind and maybe some text. Doesn't have to be too complex.

Yeah, I understand this. I just put this here in case anyone that does know me had any interesting ideas, really. A simple gradient and a logo and some text is fine - but I thought I'd let other people have a go at trying something out if they wanted to. Plus I'm not so great a 'logos'. Or typography.

I think you need to get a better monitor, or adjust your screen's angle slightly.

Yeah, I understand this. I just put this here in case anyone that does know me had any interesting ideas, really. A simple gradient and a logo and some text is fine - but I thought I'd let other people have a go at trying something out if they wanted to. Plus I'm not so great a 'logos'. Or typography.

I've got a little idea which ill give a go for you :wub:

OK, I've given this some going over the last couple of days. Thoughts? Be as harsh as you want. I'm especially interested in opinions on the typography as it is consistently my weakest area. Does the text and colouring look OK? Does it need anything else or is it too busy?

Does it fulfil your expectations of what a banner on a portfolio website should do?

Banner%2001.png

I don't know if that image embed is working, so here's the link:

http://www.thefruitsoup.com/miscellany/dav...Banner%2001.png

Cheers!

Not a fan of the colour slashes (do they represent something). Drop the http etc just have domain.com and drop "online" from portfolio (....ofcourse it's online?!?). Just having your name and portfolio will be better balanced typographically.

Drop the http etc just have domain.com and drop "online" from portfolio (....ofcourse it's online?!?). Just having your name and portfolio will be better balanced typographically.

Yep; good call. Nice one.

It looks a little untidy having both the wavelength bit and slashes.

Do you think? Here it is now:

Banner%2002.png

http://www.thefruitsoup.com/miscellany/dav...Banner%2002.png

Something does need to be done about the soundwave, but removing it completely makes it look a little too empty. I'll experiment with the subtly of the colouring a bit more. The slashes I actually really like, and they are the same colours as the link hover backgrounds for the site's main menu. Do they look out-of-place completely, or are you just unsure of how they fit into the grand scheme of things? I am keen on keeping them ...

EDIT: Regarding kerning, am I right in thinking I need to close up some of those gaps or do they look OK as they are spaced?

New update: Didn't change the kerning because I wasn't sure if it was necessary, but I've amended the soundwave graphic slightly so that it emerges from the gradient instead of sitting on top of it. I think it looks much cleaner as a result, and much strong from a visual perspective. Comments.

Banner%2003.png

http://www.thefruitsoup.com/miscellany/dav...Banner%2003.png

Spread the colourway across the soundwave?

But I would totally subdue and dark-coat the fuck out of them, leaving the navigation to be the focal point, which at the end of the day is where eyes should be drawn.

Having the logo as the bulls eye has never been my aim (sic)!

I really need to get mine back into gear but have faltered at getting my mitts into something over and above what is my web design zenith from five years ago which still works faultlessly to this day. The whole reason I fell out of favour was lack of constant internet access when trying to get a qualification for a job I can't design a website to promote :)