rllmuk
Calashnikov

Limmy's Show

The tone is really friendly, I think. The content isn't, but somehow the tone is.

Agreed, I think he just seems a very likeable guy which helps make his rants less bile fuelled and more funny. Some good stuff.

I really wish I could get Scottish humour (especially as I might be moving up to the west coast later this year) because I feel like I'm missing out on loads of shows that others get great enjoyment from. The light comedy films (Restless Natives, Gregory's Girl etc) are fine but when it comes to the TV programmes I just can't get into them at all. The likes of Chewin the Fat and Still Game have lots of fans on here but I'm lucky if I can watch a full episode before turning off. It might be because the acting is normally so over the top and desperately trying to be funny that it just turns me off. I did get all the way through Limmy's Show but I didn't find it funny. The sketches went on way too long with very little pay off and despite agreeing with the observational stuff it was hardly amusing.

Am I approaching these shows wrong?

Well I'd say Limmy is especially a niche type of comedy. It's more along the surreal, unsettling lines of Blue Jam and other Chris Morris fare, than mainstream sitcoms like Still Game or Rab C Nesbitt. There's a dark, twisted wee edge to Limmy's work. Like, the ned bricking that innocent guy in the park and running off was just plain nasty. Hilarious to us Glaswegians, however, because it was so accurate a portrayal of ned activity. But not everyone would find it funny. My girlfriend found that scene, and ex-junkie Jacqueline McCafferty "awful." Like, they really left a nasty taste in her mouth and schnit.

You get neds in Chewin the Fat and Still Game, but it's a little bit more wholesome. Certainly more mainstream-friendly I think. They don't quite have the surreal Lynchian sickness that Limmy is capable of. Just you wait, one day he'll fully realise that potential!

I'm not saying he's a nasty cunt or anything, though. He does come across as likeable and matey-like.

Maybe this one will be easier to "get." It was a spoof of American Werewolf that he did for the BBC a few years ago:

http://www.limmy.com/videos/werewolf/

For me, however, the comedy comes from placing a variety of stereotypically Glaswegian characters in all the roles. I felt like I knew versions of every single character in that sketch. The voices, the mannerisms, all that. So I suppose his appeal is kinda regional, yeah.

For me, however, the comedy comes from placing a variety of stereotypically Glaswegian characters in all the roles. I felt like I knew versions of every single character in that sketch. The voices, the mannerisms, all that. So I suppose his appeal is kinda regional, yeah.

I think that is it really. When I said Scottish humour before I guess it is pretty much exclusively the Glasgow comedy programmes that I have an issue with.

The American Werewolf spoof was quite amusing in places though.

I think that is it really. When I said Scottish humour before I guess it is pretty much exclusively the Glasgow comedy programmes that I have an issue with.

A fair comment I reckon. I thought a lot of it was in the same vein as Chewin The Fat et al, a dark undertone and Glasgow specific references like the Arches and Botanic Gardens. I imagine the random section in particular only really makes total sense to those familiar with the city.

A fair comment I reckon. I thought a lot of it was in the same vein as Chewin The Fat et al, a dark undertone and Glasgow specific references like the Arches and Botanic Gardens. I imagine the random section in particular only really makes total sense to those familiar with the city.

Am I approaching these shows wrong?

No. The case with Limmy's Show, as is the case with the thing I've done next Wednesday, is that they're paid for by BBC Scotland and they're for a Scottish audience. We DO laugh at different things up here. It's a different culture. We have unique wee traits that the English, Welsh and Irish don't have.

We're trying to appeal to the Scottish people first and foremost, by talking about the kind of things we all share. References to Priesty Blacknecks and Cumnock Juniors and such just won't translate properly. But that's fine. These are Scottish telly shows, and proud.

Aye, I've seen the Burnistoun advert all over the place, and I watch fuck-all television. I've managed to catch it 4 times in as many television sittings. Good luck, biglime. Looking forward to it.

Let's get that Burnistoun thread up in here.

really enjoyed the show (missed it on telly, hopefully i-player views count towards how the beeb view its success or lack thereof), especially the swings sketch, and the one where he kept waking up. Hopefully it'll get picked up for more eps.

pretty sure Limmy cycled past me on Sauchiehall street when I was coming in earlier, RANDOM

Yeah, really liked that. It did remind me of Jam in one or two places where things got a little darker, but I loved the 'swing' and 'guys' observational bits. I'll likely tune in again (or rather watch the next ep on iPlayer when it's up). Good stuff, Limmy.

I can finally announce that Limmy’s Show is getting a series!

I say “finally”, because I’ve sort of known for a while now. I got told a couple of months ago that it was getting it (pending rubber stamping from various departments), and I’ve been writing ever since. But I wasn’t to tell anyone.

So that means that when I’ve been saying “Still no word about the series yet”, I’ve been lying.

That’s right, lying.

Lying to everyone. Lying to the fans. Lying to people I know, looking them right in the fucking eye and saying “Naw, still no word yet, but here’s hoping!”

Honestly, people I know. People who were in the pilot anaw. Tom Brogan, who gets chased about the park by John Paul, I’ve been meeting up with him, and I’ve been saying to him “Naw, still don’t know yet”. And he’d say “They’re taking their time, aren’t they?”. And I’d have to say “Aye, I just wish they’d get a move on”.

Pure fucking lying. Lying to yous. Telling yous that I’m busy doing Flash stuff, when am I fuck.

But that’s it all out now, and I’m glad to not be bottling it up anymore.

So that’s me got a series, and I’ve been busy every day thinking of ways to entertain you when it hits your screen later in the year.

And I’d just like to thank you, if that’s not too cheesy. Thanks to all of yous who have passed my web stuff around, and the folk who came to my live shows, cos if it wasn’t for yous then I wouldn’t be in this position. I’d be fat balding ned with an unknown site, standing on a stage in front of no cunt.

That’s right, I’m saying “I’d just like to thank the fans”.

THANKS.