rllmuk
Calashnikov

Limmy's Show

Yeah, it's gonna be on iPlayer.

I ain't gonna lie, I was pretty disappointed. I guess it just doesn't translate that well to TV. The odd video online is all good - the sketches feel kind of spontaneous and experimental. Within a half hour sketch show format, however, it felt a bit stiff and contrived.

I hope he gets another shot at the TV thing, though.

Just watched it, far better than I expected! Properly laughed three or four times. Surprisingly I liked his observational stuff more than his sketches! Reminded me of Armando Ianucci.

And the our mum bit at the end!

Something about the delivery of his observational, into-the-camera stuff was a little jarring for me, coming from watching his video blogs and the like. There was something a bit too slick, professional and consciously charismatic about them, which is a bizarre criticism I'll admit, but you know what I mean. The single-take, seemingly ad-libbed camcorder rants on his website seem a lot more natural and funny to me. I assume the sketches will have been filmed multiple times, and edited together all nicely and shit, possibly with a director suggesting more energy and all that, but there was something quite un-Limmy about it.

:) Fucking LOVE that pen trick video.

See, that does feel a lot more natural and agreeable for me. When you transfer his obscure, small-scale observations from a grainy mpeg to a glossier TV format with a slicker sheen and delivery, much of the comedy is lost. It's too big a stage for the jokes to make an impact. Like... his Twenty's Plenty thing or the swings observation would have seemed funnier online, if he just verbally meandered his way to the point in his usual style. The TV show was too tight or something! Obviously being a TV show it needs to be strict with time, but I felt a couple of sketches could have been shorter. Fuck knows. I think it showed signs of promise, though.

Ah well. In that case, I think he is indeed a little bit guilty of trying too hard, as Hawkeye suggested.

I've never seen his live show. Maybe he brings the same level of enthusiastic delivery to those. I've possibly got too idealised an opinion on what makes a Limmy routine, but the tone was just ever-so-slightly off for me last night. What did you make of it yourself?

I don't think there's many people about who deserves a shot at a series as much as him.

I should really be slagging him off, because he totally fucked me at Street Fighter II up mine on Monday.

Finished now. That was really enjoyable. Just... a very friendly, soothing programme. Had me laughing fit to burst at one or two points, and never less than amused or amiable towards what was going on. Lovely.

I thought his observational bits worked nicely, so take that as a contrast to Cal's view.

Friendly, soothing, lovely?

Whit?!

:D

I'm glad you all enjoyed it more than me. My expectations were possibly too high. Don't get me wrong, I found a good few bits funny, but I know he can do better. That's why I hope he gets more TV, and a chance to ease into it. There was a certain unnatural stiffness in the observational stuff, certainly compared to his online stuff, where I guess he's simply more comfortable and confident.

Looking back, I really loved the business man sketch. I love his impressions of certain different types of Glaswegian, from the Jacqueline McCafferty ex-junkie, to JP the ned and onto Mulveney the business man. He nails all the chat.

I think this online video of his is another great example of that skill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_kpc7zjZM

:( Oh man, the smart-arse studenty character. He NAILED it.

I enjoyed that, very unique. I agree with whoever said there's shades of Ianucci about the to-camera bits. I'll definitely keep track of future ones. The swearing xylophone on his website will forever be his finest work, though.

Yeah, it has real potential - some cracking bits and some really shit bits (i.e. that totally random thing is just a waste of my time I won't get back). The Twenty's Plenty bit did bring tears to my eyes with laughter mainly because I had just given a similar rant a few months ago on a visit back home to Paisley when I drove by one.