rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Christopher Nolan's Inception

I'm going to lay a marker down on this being one of the most disappointing films of the year. If you're expecting great things, that is.

I reckon it'll be a decent, if derivative, stab at the middle ground of sci-fi/action. I'm still looking forward to it, but I've reduced my expectations due to nothing more than a nagging hunch based on a few visuals and some mild discomfort at the title. Although perhaps unjustifiably sceptical, at least I stand a chance of being pleasantly surprised.

That's precisely what I got from some parts of that trailer. Excitement levels through the roof.

Kinda getting more of a matrix vibe than an Eternal Sunshine one here, but definitely looks cool. Nice to see as many of the effects as possible done in-camera (like the Dark Knight) - makes a massive difference to the feel (unlike, say, 2012).

The trailer music isn't by Hans Zimmer it is by Zack Hemsey and can be listened in full here. Sounds great.

From the trailer it sounds like it took a bit from Shutter Island.

All I can think of is that introduction with the stupid blasting fog horn.

There was a trailer of this before Prince Of Persia, and I can't really say for sure what the film is about. So they make people have crazy dreams as a form of interrogation - is that right? Isn't that what happened in The Cell?

There was a trailer of this before Prince Of Persia, and I can't really say for sure what the film is about.

It is really annoying me that they still haven't explained the 'rules of the world', as that is essential to grasping how/why it might be interesting. I'm sure it'll be great just because it's Nolan, but the trailers are doing a bad job of selling it to me. Especially as visually (although cool) it looks too much like the Matrix.

Saw the trailer for the first time the other day and it really piqued my interest. I've since watched the second trailer, that does a better job of explaining what the film's about and it's now my most looked forward to film for ages. Great premise, cast and director with the budget to do the idea justice. Could be very, very good.

It's been seen - From joblo.com

Rolling Stone film critic Peter Travers
"The mind-blowing movie event of the summer arrives just in time to hold back the flow of Hollywood sputum that's been sliming the multiplex. 'Inception'...will be called many things, starting with James Bond Meets 'The Matrix.' You can feel the vibe of Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner' in it, and Nolan's own 'Memento' and 'The Dark Knight.' But 'Inception' glows with a blue-flame intensity all its own. Nolan creates a dream world that he wants us to fill with our own secrets. I can't think of a better goal for any filmmaker. Of course, trusting the intelligence of the audience can cost Nolan at the box office. We're so used to being treated like idiots. How to cope with a grand-scale epic, shot in six countries at a reported cost of $160 million, that turns your head around six ways from Sunday? Dive in and drive yourself crazy, that's how.''

And a new featurette - Possible Character Spoilers

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-trailer...amp;GT1=MOVIES1

That new trailer is great.

I didn't realise Zimmer has worked on so many films, as I've been living under a rock.

BBRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM

You can hear a Zimmer tune a mile off, they're all similar*. I really like The Battle from Gladiator. Feel that it tells a story and has a great ebb and flow

[yt]l1joxX8Qrao[/yt]

*I guess that's a common thing with most composers though! :lol:

You can hear a Zimmer tune a mile off, they're all similar*.

Really? True Romance? Rain Man?

Anyway, nice interview with Wally Pfister.

Linky

Who knew Chris Nolan is a Michael Bay fan? :lol:

Lots of Twitter 'reviews' as well. Seems this movie delivers.

You can hear a Zimmer tune a mile off, they're all similar*.

Indeed, the Pirates of the Caribbean theme is exactly the same as the Going for Gold theme tune. :wub:

It is really annoying me that they still haven't explained the 'rules of the world', as that is essential to grasping how/why it might be interesting. I'm sure it'll be great just because it's Nolan, but the trailers are doing a bad job of selling it to me.

Yeah I felt this too. It looks interesting but the trailers were too cryptic for me. I only see a movie every 2 months or so so I need to know more.

The fact that Nolan has not yet made a bad movie, and has made at least 3 genuine modern classics, is pretty much all I need to know.

This. Early word is it doesn't disappoint either. :)

Doesn't this have the hot girl in it from Xmen too?! (Xmen 3)

Aye.

I'm sure it'll be great just because it's Nolan, but the trailers are doing a bad job of selling it to me.
It looks interesting but the trailers were too cryptic for me. I only see a movie every 2 months or so so I need to know more.

Oh come on, most trailers explain the entire plot of the movie they're advertising!

Not knowing much and watching the mysteries unravel is the whole point.

I'm not overly fond of Nolan's back catalogue, Memento is the only film of his I enjoy rewatching and I wasn't particularly impressed by his Batman films (good but far from great), so I'm cautious of this. However, I feel certain that it's going to be a technical wonder, a joy to watch in terms of effects, sets and design. There was one particular moment that caught my eye during a trailer, a two second clip of what looked like Joseph Gordon-Levitt running down a corridor, adn then suddenly the gravity of the scene shifts (literally!) and he flies towards the end of the corridor. Brief moments like that make me confident that it'll be good for 'mind blown' set pieces, even if the story doesn't particularly grip me.

And it has an incredible cast line-up.

Oh come on, most trailers explain the entire plot of the movie they're advertising!

Not knowing much and watching the mysteries unravel is the whole point.

You'd think so. Inception appears to be a film about mindscapes and altered states of consciousness; surely everyone is note and verse familiar by now with the salient characteristics of 'strange world' stories? Aside from eliminating the element of surprise in the film proper, it'd be entirely redundant for Inception's marketing to make anything more than a perfunctory effort to explain the blindingly obvious scenario.