New Aliens Vs Predator game!

samgrice

It very much reads like a review from a guy that decided he hated it - then played the game and wrote the review

When we went to Chiswick to launch the multiplayer I saw the guy from ... a certain magazine. For seven hours there wasn't a spare TV with some people unhappy they couldn't get to play it, which was hugely gratifying cos practically no one was leaving, they all wanted to keep playing (funniest bit was them ignoring the guy in the rubber alien suit doing his best to put them off). I was watching this one guy who just looked pissed off the whole day, even when the vast majority of others were queuing up to play. When the guy from this magazine came for an interview, his opening line was "So, shit movie, wasn't it?". I mean I know I'm getting older but it's a horror to realise there might be 'journalists' out there who's knowledge of the IP begins in 2004.

When the guy from this magazine came for an interview, his opening line was "So, shit movie, wasn't it?". I mean I know I'm getting older but it's a horror to realise there might be 'journalists' out there who's knowledge of the IP begins in 2004.

:lol:

It must be such a task remaining nice with these people. I'm sure the vast majority are thoroughly decent, but the odd journo must turn up and really test people's patience.

Complaining about the motion tracker sound is like moaning about the radio in Silent Hill... take it away, and the tension is instantly diminished. Maybe a slider in the audio options might make people happy, but you'd have to be nuts.

Funny he should mention motion sickness too, because I suffer from it really badly. With Half Life 2, it takes me about two minutes to feel 'ugh', but so far i've had no problem after hours with the alien.

I'm really starting to love the lock-on/focus attack with the alien btw. It really helps to lessen that feeling of vunerability I had when stuck to a wall/ceiling as you can be down upon a target from anywhere in the blink of an eye. They must shit their pants. :D

I've been playing this way too much also. I'm starting to feel sorry for the other players...they don't stand a chance. :lol:

Surely the easy answer to that question is, "Yeah, but Aliens eh? FUCKING AMAZE!"

Followed with: "What do you mean you haven't seen it? GET OUT!"

Seriously, the PR and Marketing people would have to be absolute fuckwits to allow negative reviews like that, with their blatant ignorance for the source material, to alter their support for the title. The marketing for this ought to be a doddle with three classic movies as heritage to draw from and work into the advertising.

:lol: Noted.

Thanks much for noticing, daPing. Hopefully you guys can implement a trigger swap option before the game goes gold. :lol:

Mind you, I can play the game having fire on the left trigger, it's just very awkward having it there.

This afternoon, the game clicked for me. This looks to be a day one sale for me. :D

I was pretty tired last night so I didn't really enjoyed playing it when I did, past midnight.

Highlight the species icon on the player select screen and press A to switch species.

If you haven't been following the thread go back a few pages for some playing tips, or the video showing the combat system

I can't choose Predator; it just cycles between Alien and Marine for me.

I can't choose Predator; it just cycles between Alien and Marine for me.

There's a species cap for the sake of balance. It just means two people selected Predator before you.

In the character select box, the top left corner has three symbols that light up to let you know what species are available.

I wondered how focus worked.

For the alien, it locks onto an enemy... press focus and a green mist will circle them when they're close enough, then hit light attack, or jump, and you'll instantly leap at them with an attack. The range is as far as your transition jump I believe, which is considerable.

For the pred, it highlights weapons, energy points, mines, and combined with jump, you can leap about like a lunatic. Get in those rafters fast and you can pwn hard. :lol:

For the alien, it locks onto an enemy... press focus and a green mist will circle them when they're close enough, then hit light attack, or jump, and you'll instantly leap at them with an attack. The range is as far as your transition jump I believe, which is considerable.

I'm not sure about this. Fazz, moosegrinder and me discussed and tried it last night, and I'm pretty sure there's a difference between jumping (A) or light attacking (RB) after locking on. Jumping makes my Alien actually leap a major distance at the target, while I think light attacking just makes it a better aimed slash.

Linkster?

You could quite easily be right because personally I only use light attack. I just read earlier that jump has a similar, if not the same result.

RE: Controls. You know, I think this game went gold months ago? :lol:

Perhaps an early patch fixes it, also considering some other replies in this thread.

I'm fine with the way the game works though :lol: Can't wait for launch day!

Surely the easy answer to that question is, "Yeah, but Aliens eh? FUCKING AMAZE!"

Followed with: "What do you mean you haven't seen it? GET OUT!"

Seriously, the PR and Marketing people would have to be absolute fuckwits to allow negative reviews like that, with their blatant ignorance for the source material, to alter their support for the title. The marketing for this ought to be a doddle with three classic movies as heritage to draw from and work into the advertising.

To be fair it's my first time working with SEGA but once burned etc

It's been a record setter for them already I think - more front covers than MW.

Linkster, is it worth a conversation with sega to discuss lifting the embargo, I mean, if it's going to turn out that the game informer review will hurt the release?

I'd agree with that, afterall, no matter how badly written/wrong that review is it couldn't hurt the game anymore than it already has with many 'Hardly a shock, Rebellion are utterly shit' comments that are going about. Now maybe the full game is utter shit for all I know but if what linkster says is true about all the good reviews and going by how many people are enjoying the demo (here and other forums) surely it wouldn't do any more harm.

Crossed my mind too but it's one for them to decide, as I said earlier I've only been told of I think six reviews and they're from 79% to 9/10. That's not me being selective, those are all I know. Before release SEGA commissioned a guy who runs a business giving opinions on pre release code and he scored it 82%.

In spite of all that I expected it to get some savage reviews, the irony being I think I could dismantle it better than anyone :lol: but that's not the point - it's done now, I think the mechanics and the atmosphere is solid, and I want the chance with the team to do something that's an order of magnitude better next time.

hehe :lol:

I was at Game Informer a little over a year ago, had a lovely time. Nice bunch.

:lol:

Terrible AI? The alien AI is one of the aspects of the game in which I'm most proud. Clever little bastards, and I still like fighting them, especially in Survivor (which has a single player mode BTW, which has a different difficulty balance to co-op)

Well, I've gone and ordered it anyway off the back of the demo... which I'm totally shit at (I also prefer the marine as it's cool and all being aliens but the constant struggle and atmosphere as fodder can't be beat) but love the atmosphere created, the authenticity of it and, well, it's just nice and all. The little melee touches really break up the usual FPS stuff and everything works well and it's cheap (on PC) so yeah, pre-order + 1; I'm gonna be in a fucking AvP movie of my own! And I get to play a decent RTS in the mean time... in fact, has there been an AvP RTS? That'd be pretty cool, I reckon :lol:

Terrible AI? The alien AI is one of the aspects of the game in which I'm most proud. Clever little bastards, and I still like fighting them, especially in Survivor (which has a single player mode BTW, which has a different difficulty balance to co-op)

Well that's good to hear. Who was it talking about animating the aliens? How they basically had to invent the movement because the films give away so little. I do like the animation...particularly when you knock them off their feet and they thrash about trying to right themselves.

Well that's good to hear. Who was it talking about animating the aliens? How they basically had to invent the movement because the films give away so little. I do like the animation...particularly when you knock them off their feet and they thrash about trying to right themselves.

Sam was in the Guardian interview. It's the range of behaviours that's so cool - hide in shadow being one, you seek them out, find them with torch, then they come after you. 'HIss propagation' where if you disturb one suddenly you hear hisses all around :lol: the video of the Club I posted earlier shows how they will avoid taking direct routes to you much of the time, making it really panicky. My favourite is prowl though, where you see one stalking you from 20 feet away, and you think "easy shot". Then you get blindsided by one you didn't know was there...

I did like how in AVP Classic you would sometimes come across aliens in the fetal position, and you could put a dart through their head before they awoke. I assume there's a more authentic evolution of that where they're sat waiting, camouflaged within the coccoon material, similar to the first encounter in Aliens?

Hey, that's a point...is there no pred speargun? It looked a bit silly, but pinning heads and limbs to walls never got old.

My favourite is prowl though, where you see one stalking you from 20 feet away, and you think "easy shot". Then you get blindsided by one you didn't know was there...

Oh yeah...

3915912945_00363e4ee2.jpg

Could you elaborate on this, Linkster? It's been bugging me all afternoon :lol:

I'm not sure about this. Fazz, moosegrinder and me discussed and tried it last night, and I'm pretty sure there's a difference between jumping (A) or light attacking (RB) after locking on [with LT]. Jumping makes my Alien actually leap a major distance at the target, while I think light attacking just makes it a better aimed slash.