New Aliens Vs Predator game!

samgrice

You forgot to ask Linkster for Steering Wheel support.
No Sie, it's truly annoying when a developer can get a game so right but fail so badly at a control scheme they should know off the bat.

I was being facetious. I agree with the control gripes even though I'm personally not affected by them. It's a point that should be made, albeit not quite so indignantly.

I suppose the in-joke about steering wheels doesn't really travel if you weren't playing rllmuk AvP on the 360 last night.

Close to my thoughts exactly Ghost, I don't even want to buy it now knowing I can't use R1 for fire. I'm so unbelieveably pissed about it, it's like they do it to taunt me. How in the hell did they manage to bring about the worst imaginable control scheme from day 1 (the demo)?

Usually it takes time to build these god-awful schemes that only a handful of rejects use, but somehow, Rebellion managed it.

Well done guys.

If we did put fire on R1, it'd just make blocking slow instead, if the issue we're talking about is the amount of travel on the trigger. And blocking cannot be slow.

Coming up with a control layout that allows you to move between three species with the emphasis on familiarity so you're not re-learning each time, while finding enough buttons for something as complex as the Predator, was a c**t of a task and it took months of trial and error.

However I'm listening very carefully to the feedback and going to do my best to get the sensible decisions addressed

PS3 guys, the matchmaking code on the network side would only have been found with an online beta and you must have noticed that facility isn't generally available, the reason being its extraordinarily difficult to arrange if you're not Bungie or IW.

However I'm listening very carefully to the feedback and going to do my best to get the sensible decisions addressed

I take it you've seen my request to flip 'primary fire' back to the right trigger on the Southpaw configuration (config 2) for the marine, Linkster?

A general question: Why do so few console FPSes have customisable controls, when PC versions of the same game do have them? I'd like a genuine answer to this, please. Is it a technical issue? An accessibility one?

Just tried the demo out last night - why am I always, always, always a Predator? I haven't had the chance to try any other class yet ^_^

Yeah it's a bit ropey.

Highlight the species icon on the player select screen and press A to switch species.

If you haven't been following the thread go back a few pages for some playing tips, or the video showing the combat system

So does everyone to my knowledge (except 360 users which I get), yet the devs of these great games keep proving me otherwise.

I go to my second point of my last post, they're lazy and don't properly explore control options - All the good PS3 FPSs use R1 to fire. Doesn't take a rocket scientist does it?

Backing Linkster up here, you cannot believe what a complete bitch working out the controls for this game was, especially with the "your finger rolls smoothly off our triggers" PS3 controller.

The biggest reason we didn't put fire on R1 (and it was there at various points) was because the triggers aren't responsive enough for melee - setting the threshold to "just breathed on" made you wander around melee-ing all the time and anything less responsive than that made the melee, and specifically the block, fail.

We don't actually use them in house but quite a few people recommend these:

http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...Kit-p-2796.html

to make it so your fingers won't fall off.

Note to the development team:

Southpaw (config 2) does NOT mean 'flip the triggers around as well'! Just the sticks, guys (which is done right, thanks)!

It's really awkward to have primary fire on the left trigger. Have a look at MW2's Southpaw setup (thumbsticks). Lefties don't always use the left trigger to fire!

^_^ Noted.

(McSpeed @ Feb 6 2010, 08:22 PM)

This isn't right, it should be A instead of RB for a homing attack.

Righto, changed that in the post above.

For the Alien it's either. For the Predator you need to use R1 to attack, if there's a jump point on-screen as well as the target then you press A to go to the jump point, RB to the target.

I've still no idea how to block with the Marine on the PC. If I put a pad in, it's RB (melee), and LB. Without a pad you have the melee button, but what on earth is the LB equivalent?

TRied the pc demo yesterday... fucking shit... controls handle like treacle.... utterly utterly gash....

Your PC is fucked? ^_^

Actually I think some complaints of unresponsiveness are down to lag. Some games can be absolutely awful....you'll whip your tail at a light, and three seconds later it will smash on its own accord.

Game Informer Review

Aliens vs. Predator (Multi) – 5.75

Ouch.

I hate to be one of those M&K>pad people, but I think in the case of the alien at least, you just can't react fast enough with the pad, and it feels somewhat awkward and frustating. And using the pad with the marine, I can kinda see where the ADS people are coming from too. I haven't dared try the Predator yet.

I'm not expecting the SP to be in any way groundbreaking, but for £18 I'm happy with just more MP with other maps. As long as there's enough people to play with that aren't pansy quiting jerk-offs.

Game Informer Review

Aliens vs. Predator (Multi) – 5.75

U0ZmQ.jpg

It got posted a few pages back. Am so annoyed this is the first announced score since I know of plenty others under embargo which are far better. Also the review is suspiciously light on MP talk or even single player Survivor. Still gutted mind.

Who trusts magazine reviews anymore, good or bad.

I wish it was that simple. It's patently obvious from the review he hasn't played more than an hour or so, and I can sa with almos complete certainty he didn't play MP because SOA in their infinite wisdomdidnt organise any events. It's a lazy vicious piece that similar lazy journos will use to avoid finding it for themslves what the game actually has to offer so can after website reviews to come since they hate to stick their necks out.

"The Marine campaign has it's own set of problems - it's setup more like a FPS horror than anything else. Having to fight Xenomorphs for the 100th time gets old quicky - it also doesn't help that your flashlight is useless."

"The Predator campaign is fun, and it's cool using his tools, but the combination of being forced you use stealth and linear level design made me want to hang up my hunter's gear."

"The Alien campaign, is a combination of the two, and like the marine campaign, it sucks. Aliens are bred for war, it shouldn't take more than three claw swipes to kill anything, also, navigating the corridors is very disorientating, and you never get used to it."

Also, the review dosn't even mention multiplayer.

Hahahaha, what a terrible review. "This AvP game sucks because it's like AvP".

Complaining that the marines are like a horror FPS is like complaining you have to drive the Warthog in Halo.

The bit where he slags off the motion tracker is hilarious.

I don't want to read it again since yesterday morning after this came out I was of a mind to just pack the whole fucking thing in but isn't there a bit where he says the worst thing about the alien is it can run on walls?

And that's why I frequent a games forum.

I'm sure a day after release I'll have ten pages of more insightful comment than whichever 'proper' review you name.

Aye, well unfortunately what worries me most about this are the PR and marketing people who utterly lose their nerve when something like this happens and start to distance themselves, meaning the game's ad budget might get cut, and so stand less chance of selling well, and kill a sequel. Seen it happen so many times.