New Aliens Vs Predator game!

samgrice

After some more magic games this evening with fellow forumites, this game really can't come out fast enough. When you're in a round where everyone knows what they're doing with the melee system, some truly epic fistfights begin to emerge.

Note to the development team:

Southpaw (config 2) does NOT mean 'flip the triggers around as well'! Just the sticks, guys (which is done right, thanks)!

It's really awkward to have primary fire on the left trigger. Have a look at MW2's Southpaw setup (thumbsticks). Lefties don't always use the left trigger to fire!

They considered having alien instuctions coming across in Swahili, since it's close to the original Xenomorph language, but then they realised that would be a fucking stupid.

Just the kind of comment I'd expect from an uneducated tosser, you're not one of them are you? ^_^

I mean, are you unable to read between the lines in my comment?

Hours of brilliant online multiplayer fun with forumites, for the THIRD night in a row! To think this game wasn't even that well on my radar two weeks ago, and how it's gone up to 'must-have' in the meantime.

Sorry Mr McSpeed, my connection just dumped for no reason whatsoever. Had some mad fun games tonight, Make shift team deatmmatch is proper lols.

"Is that you?!"

"No!"

"FUcKING KILL HIM!!"

I loved how at one point we taunted each other for several seconds by both holding our claws in blocking formation ^_^

I keep getting my arse handed to me and I've yet to master block and counter. Still good fun in deathmatch but it will be the other modes that will take my fancy. Survivor is going to be awesome. I cannot wait to get some games going with fellow rllmukers.

This is my third night playing this and I've finally begun to master the block/counter. As soon as you're in close with someone raise your block, and as soon as they hit you (usually with a light hit) hit the right bumper to counter which throws them the floor. Then attack.

For the first time I actually started to feel less vulnerable as a Marine and had many fisticuffs with Aliens and Predators. The feeling when you block an attack, counter them to the floor then whip out your pulse rifle and fill them with lead is bloody fantastic.

This game just got even better.

Quite enjoying this. Looks nicer on a monitor than the uninspiring showing at EGExpo, although still a very workmanlike interpretation of the source material.

It's got a really bad case of lazy PC port syndrome though, unless the full game is going to be massively more configurable:

Ridiculous, untoggleable mouse acceleration in the UI, maybe in the game as well - hard to tell because of the...

Absurdly over the top untoggleable motion blur (for the marine) - without the feedback gleaned from physically rotating our heads, there is no way to judge how far we've turned, so this is stupid.

Forced widescreen for the menus.

Rubbish texture caching (this is a 360 game, all the assets can surely fit in memory), and ludicrously protracted shutdown time in which it doesn't free up memory. Guys, drop an email to any other PC developer, they have all figured out how to make a game quit (and sometimes even alt+tab) cleanly since about 2003.

Note to the development team:

Southpaw (config 2) does NOT mean 'flip the triggers around as well'! Just the sticks, guys (which is done right, thanks)!

It's really awkward to have primary fire on the left trigger. Have a look at MW2's Southpaw setup (thumbsticks). Lefties don't always use the left trigger to fire!

You forgot to ask Linkster for Steering Wheel support.

No Sie, it's truly annoying when a developer can get a game so right but fail so badly at a control scheme they should know off the bat.

He's right and whether he mentions it or not, custom controls should be always an option. Especially a game like this which has multiple species with different controls.

You should be able to map every feature to any button you want! This should exist in every game! Especially FPS. ^_^

AND ESPECIALLY FPS FROM 2010! ANY ONE THAT HAS R2 AS FIRE THAT CANNOT BE CHANGED SHOULD BE SHOT, IF THEY'RE STILL ALIVE THEY SHOULD BE SHOT AGAIN.

Seriously, how dare they!? FUCK THE R2 BUTTON!

FFS. Might not get it now, I've never bought an FPS on the PS3 that only uses L2 and R2 for aim and shoot except OF: DR which was poor! Seriously, WTF?!?!?!!?!?!?

Yeah - if you could get into one in the first place.

EDIT:

I just got into one, which lasted literally two seconds. ^_^

Shit, shit, shit, shit. It's really not acceptable for a game of this expectancy.

With that bollucks about unprecedented demand, fuck off. It's an ALIENS vs. PREDATORS game, practically the most famous monsters of the past two decades. You got your figures wrong fellas. It has been highly popular since the middle 90's during the last one and that wasn't exactly tame was it?

I played a triple threat match against an alien and a pred. It was amazingly tense. Creeping around waiting for my tracker to bleep. At one point I crept into the open area up the top from one of the corridors at approximately the same time the alien emerged from that hole that allows you to drop straight down to the next level. I could see it flitting in and out of the light towards me when three little red lights shone down from the darkness above and blasted it into little acidy pieces. The pred was on the rafters above me! Hoping that the pred was possibly still rocking alien vision, I made a frantic dash to grab the smartgun from that little ledge, praying to the Gods of 80s science fiction/action cinema that he hadn't switched to heat vision. As I held x to pick it up, I saw the three red dots shine lazily across the wall to my right. I whirled around and desperately opened fire. The pred came crashing down spraying luminous green blood everywhere. Amazin'. There should be a context sensitive marine taunt button, Linkster.

Yeah - if you could get into one in the first place.

EDIT:

I just got into one, which lasted literally two seconds. ^_^

Shit, shit, shit, shit. It's really not acceptable for a game of this expectancy.

With that bollucks about unprecedented demand, fuck off. It's an ALIENS vs. PREDATORS game, practically the most famous monsters of the past two decades. You got your figures wrong fellas. It has been highly popular since the middle 90's during the last one and that wasn't exactly tame was it?

In all fairness, it's really hard to judge how your netcode is going to cope with actual big numbers. Practically every developer runs into issues with it when they launch the title widely online, either as a public beta or a demo.

There should be a context sensitive marine taunt button, Linkster.

GROOOOOVAAAAYYY.

YAAAGH-HAAAAGH!

YEAAARGH!

GRRROOOOOVAAAAY.

In all fairness, it's really hard to judge how your netcode is going to cope with actual big numbers. Practically every developer runs into issues with it when they launch the title widely online, either as a public beta or a demo.

Poor network connection I can begrudgingly accept from a demo but poor control schemes from 2008 I do not.

Which is my main complaint.

It's pretty much this:

alien_from_the_movie.png

+

1robots-gal-r2d2.jpg

=

do-not-symbol.jpg

DO NOT!!!

After 3 nights of having the demo I have only managed to play 1 match of this on the PS3, and even then I had to wait 15 minutes before finding a game. Seriously, I really hope that this gets sorted out before the game ships. I was really looking forward to getting this as well but if the multiplayer on the ps3 version is fucked then I don't think I will bother with the game as it was the multiplayer part I was looking forward to the most. It's a shame because the one match I did play I had and absolute blast, it looks and sounds great and plays really well. Anyone know what's wrong with the demo and if this issue will likely be fixed by release? I know the psn community might not be as large as live arcade but it's not that far off so I don't believe it's a case of no one playing the demo

Close to my thoughts exactly Ghost, I don't even want to buy it now knowing I can't use R1 for fire. I'm so unbelieveably pissed about it, it's like they do it to taunt me. How in the hell did they manage to bring about the worst imaginable control scheme from day 1 (the demo)?

Usually it takes time to build these god-awful schemes that only a handful of rejects use, but somehow, Rebellion managed it.

Well done guys.

Close to my thoughts exactly Ghost, I don't even want to buy it now knowing I can't use R1 for fire. I'm so unbelieveably pissed about it, it's like they do it to taunt me. How in the hell did they manage to bring about the worst imaginable control scheme from day 1 (the demo)?

Usually it takes time to build these god-awful schemes that only a handful of rejects use, but somehow, Rebellion managed it.

Well done guys.

well I have a pair of triggers for my dual shock so even though it's kind of wierd the controls aren't really an issue, besides what good is decent control setup when you can't even play a game on the demo? ^_^

Ghost, I was agreeing with your network problems but I was also adding my seperate transgressions to it. The clip on triggers aren't the solution, the solution is to get it through the developer's skull that we primarily want a control scheme using R1 to fire, just like the PS2. They need to stop getting a bone on over the PS3 touch sensitive L2/R2 triggers and get with the fucking program.

Serially.

I pretty much refuse to play an FPS online with R2 as fire. It's just wrong.

They only do this control scheme because they're lazy cunts and copy the 360 one anyway. ^_^

Obviously it doesn't bloody work, since the buttons are completely the other way around. SORT IT OUT! Or I'm not buying it. And I'll convince every one I know not to buy it. So there. /FUCKED OFF

So does everyone to my knowledge (except 360 users which I get), yet the devs of these great games keep proving me otherwise.

I go to my second point of my last post, they're lazy and don't properly explore control options - All the good PS3 FPSs use R1 to fire. Doesn't take a rocket scientist does it?

Well as you said its down to being lazy and just porting over the 360 controls as they are. I dont want to sound too negative in this thread as I think Linkster and the guys at Rebellion have by the looks of things done an amazing job with this game and its my most anticipated game of feb (yes even more so than Dante and Bioshock 2) its just that me looking forward to the game so much has made me even more disappointed with the demo. Hopefully its just the demo and when the full game comes out there wont be any problems with the online play.

I have to say that before I was more excited about Colonial Marines from Gearbox but after all the media for this and my (very) brief play on the demo Im now much more excited about playing this. Hopefully this does well as Rebellion hasnt really had a big success since the last AVP and also it will get Sega to have the other Aliens game finished and released.

In many ways, the release of an online demo has really aided the eventual release of the game, because it's unearthed some horrendous bugs.

When the game comes out eventually it'll hit the ground running, in terms of online, as it's already gone through a trial by fire (no pun intended).

I love the atmosphere, audio and art direction on this. Which is good, because it means they've lifted it from th films well. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of deathmatch and I'm certainly not a fan of it in this game. Is just not really suited IMO. I wish they'd released a TDM demo, or an objective based mode (which is where I think it has a real chance to shine) instead.

Hmm, there's too much of a delay between me pressing the buttons on my keyboard and it actually happening on screen. I keep getting murdered constantly!

I'm putting it down to my shitty computer, but it's a shame because the game actually runs well otherwise.

Question - should a direct hit with a grenade kill an alien instantly?