IGNORED

New Aliens Vs Predator game!

samgrice

Don't kill me but I gave the 360 demo a whirl and it was an object lesson in frustration. Being instantly killed in the dark every 5 seconds by enemies I couldn't see hasn't done much to persuade me to buy the game. A single-player demo would have been preferable.

Dammit...people are starting to get good at this now, particularly with the pred. Losing badly impairs your enjoyment somewhat. :unsure:

I find I have a better time when there's only 2-4, so yeah, the map is too small for 8. You're sometimes dead before you can switch your lamp off.

I clicked with the predator, and getting better with the other two but found that a game doesnt last more than 3/4 mins on the pc as the host constantly quits. I just cant play it, with the ragers.

Don't kill me but I gave the 360 demo a whirl and it was an object lesson in frustration. Being instantly killed in the dark every 5 seconds by enemies I couldn't see hasn't done much to persuade me to buy the game. A single-player demo would have been preferable.

make sure you check your video options and screen configuration, mine was so dark i could only see a little more than the flashlight, had to configure my sammy screen since it defaults to Low Black level with HDMI inputs.

Why do people want the ADS? Surely it only becomes a bonus if it's set that way, if the "hip fire" in the game is accurate as hell then ADS is redundant.

Because playing on the 360, even on a 42" screen the 200mph alien is the size of a 2p one second, and gutting me the next. Playing on a mouse makes this more irrelevant (if the hip-fire is as accurate as ADS) because mouse aiming is inherently faster and more precise.

Typically ADS gives you a slightly 'zoomed' view, and feels more precise even if, depending on the game design, it's ultimately just a different view with no accuracy improvement. It's like asking why people prefer in-car, bonnet, or bumper-cam in driving games - some people just prefer it that way. Personally I think it would have made the marines feel more badass, but it's not game-breaking, and I don't think anyone has made a big deal out of it. It's just a notable difference from the way guns are handled in most games and as I mentioned earlier, the marines forte against the aliens or predators is not (nor should be) hand-to-hand combat.

Did you see Mr Gerbik's and Number 28s tips a few pages back, or the close combat techniques video?

If so then yeah I guess people are just getting better, a marine on their own is going to find DM really quite difficult

In other news, 160,000 downloads on Live and a 4.5/5 star rating. Not too shabby.

How long are people having to wait to find a game of this? Just tried a few times but nothing :unsure:

PS3?

Something I have found difficult so far is reading what the different species are doing in melee combat. I'm sure with more time played, identifying exactly what melee attack my opponent is using by spotting the animation will become easier but at the moment, it often seems to be a case of lucking out for me.

Up close, everything moves so fast - anyone have any tips?

And I should be able to nip on for a few rounds tonight to make up the numbers.

I'll rate as well tonight.

Also, I'm up for some more exciting games as well :) Last two nights have been amazing.

cheers! er, I massively misread the Live figure, it's around 12,000 :unsure: still, the rating is what matters :D still the top download (did 116,000 on Steam in one night..!)

Something I have found difficult so far is reading what the different species are doing in melee combat. I'm sure with more time played, identifying exactly what melee attack my opponent is using by spotting the animation will become easier but at the moment, it often seems to be a case of lucking out for me.

Up close, everything moves so fast - anyone have any tips?

And I should be able to nip on for a few rounds tonight to make up the numbers.

Best tip with the alien is to look for the tail swinging up and around the head, if you see that it's a heavy attack so you want to light attack back, otherwise get ready to block!

Hopefully Mr Gerbik and Number 28 won't mind, I've quoted their alien and predator tips here along with my marine tips. Of course these can be changed and altered as needbe, just to get them out there for other people to start messing with :)

Anyway, this is what I know of the Alien so far and I hope some people may find this useful:

-when behind someone press X to insta-kill (risky, only do it when other people are not around)

-LB is heavy slow attack, RB is light fast attack

-Hold LT to lock onto someone when he's close enough (you'll see a circle appear around your target, if not you're too far away or not centered on the target properly) and press RB or A for a homing attack - very useful for surprise attacks from above!

-Press the left analogue stick to sprint which is essential for the Alien because it goes at something stupid like 200mph and will get you to safety (or near a target really really fast)

-Hold RT to crawl up walls and ceilings.

-Tap RT while on a wall or a ceiling to drop down to the floor

- your crosshair is a horizontal line with a vertical line in the middle that always points towards the floor (crucial to prevent disorientation)

- you can also jump onto any surface! Whenever the single vertical line in the middle of your crosshair turns into a three lines you can jump instantly to that point by pressing A. THIS IS AN ESSENTIAL METHOD OF GETTING AROUND, as you can basically jump from floor to the ceiling to the side of a pillar all within less than a second in this way and it will help tremendously when stalking or getting away from someone.Just look at where you want to jump, confirm that the crosshair shows three lines and press A - really easy and instinctive once you realise how it works.

-don't attack head-on, try to drop in from above or behind or the flank.

-never use the floors! Always get around by running and jumping across the walls and ceilings

-you can smash the lights with your tail by looking at one and pressing LB; smashed lights stay smashed and you will be much harder to spot.

-in close combat, heavy attack (LB) breaks a block but is slow. Light attack is what you should be mainly using but it can be countered (see Linksters video) so if you approach someone and you see him blocking use heavy attack instead (of course if you do what I say and attack from above, behind, or the sides then you can simply use light attacks)

-the homing leap attack counts as an heavy attack so it can't be blocked but must be countered with a light attack - but if you don't attack from the front that's not an issue.

-use the homing leap attack described above! A homing attack followed by one light punch kills a marine, a homing attack followed by two light punches kills a Predator

-also, a tip from Linkster a heavy attack can be cancelled with light attack, useful for advanced players cos you can 'dummy' them

I take it all back, i'm loving the pred now. It suddenly clicked, and I won three straight matches by a considerable margin. Here's a Gerbik-esque guide.

- Cloak instantly. Although aliens might see you, they're still disadvantaged a little. Also remember to recloak after using most your weapons.

- Learn exactly where the weapons are, and get to them as fast as you can. You can stand your own with just wristblades, but you'll feel naked. The pred is more about camping somewhere advantageous, and picking off from a distance.

- All the weapons you pick up are used with middle mouse button (not sure on consoles)

- Hold down the middle mouse button for the plasmacaster to achieve an accurate and deadly blast (when the red triangle has formed).

- Learn to move about with focus jumping. It's your one way of getting to the best tactical standpoints, and also great for leaping out of trouble.

- Stay in the rafters, and you can pick off aliens and marines at your leisure.

- Lay mines on the ramps.

- The plasmacaster and mines use energy, so be sure to rejuice when the coast is clear.

-When you throw the disc, keep the cursor on the enemy as it will steer towards it. (Ta Linkster :unsure:)

- In case you wonder how to see other predators...it's thermal vision, same as marines, and you can still target them (plasmacaster) when they're cloaked.

If I think of more, i'll add.

These tips are probably shite but whilst playing as the marine I found:

Hug the walls, that way an alien/predator can only come at you from the front (or above).

When you hear beeping be on your guard and keep an eye on the direction the noise is coming from (I know, goes without saying) and if it's an alien quickly block (press both bumpers). After it's attacked and you've blocked it hit the RB to melee and knock it on its ass as it's a counter. Then pump that fucker full of pulse rifle lead.

If the alien tries to hit you with a heavy attack (heavy attacks can break your block) you can interrupt it with your melee giving you a chance to shoot that fucker full of pulse rifle lead.

Distance and space are your friend. With the predator coming at you watch out for the infra red 3 dots. They appear as its aiming reticle so they will always appear no matter what for any weapon they've picked up. (i think) That will give you a chance to shoot at it and fire a grenade at it. Grenades are always handy to have, you'll also be able to see its cloak at a certain distance so keep an eye out for it.

Hopefully Mr Gerbik and Number 28 won't mind, I've quoted their alien and predator tips here along with my marine tips. Of course these can be changed and altered as needbe, just to get them out there for other people to start messing with ^_^

(...)

-Hold LT to lock onto someone when he's close enough (you'll see a circle appear around your target, if not you're too far away or not centered on the target properly) and press RB for a homing attack - very useful for surprise attacks from above!

This isn't right, it should be A instead of RB for a homing attack.

This isn't right, it should be A instead of RB for a homing attack.

It actually is correct. Both appear to work although I'm not sure if they're the same move.

So in summary, holding LT and pressing RB or A results in the Alien leaping at the target and clawing their face off.

This game does look ace and all, and I know it is made by the people who made the classic orginal, and I know Im been a lil bit bad for doubting but Rebellion have been making a bunch of awful games recently(shellshock??) can this one really be so different?

Since there's a campaign for each species, would I be right in betting these are linear A to B levels borderlining simplicity?

Don't get me wrong - I'm really excited about this game (primarily the MP), but I do have doubts about the quality of the SP.

I saw a video of the Alien campaign and thought it was quite poor choice for the player to receive instructions in plain English, like a marine would. Something more imaginative could have come about surely?

AvP2 had 3 campaigns (from what I remember) and that was good fun. Straight forward, but very good.

To be honest it wasn't on my to buy list, but after the MP alone (which I probably won't play again as I'm struggling to find time during my holiday, never mind when I'm back at work) I'll be buying this and evangelising it to anyone who will listen.

Since there's a campaign for each species, would I be right in betting these are linear A to B levels borderlining simplicity?

Don't get me wrong - I'm really excited about this game (primarily the MP), but I do have doubts about the quality of the SP.

I saw a video of the Alien campaign and thought it was quite poor choice for the player to receive instructions in plain English, like a marine would. Something more imaginative could have come about surely?

They considered having alien instuctions coming across in Swahili, since it's close to the original Xenomorph language, but then they realised that would be a fucking stupid.