New Aliens Vs Predator game!

samgrice

If anything ADS is only of limited use given it's completely pointless against aliens - they move so fast and on so many planes that the narrow field of view and slow turn it would bring would be a major detractor.

However, have you found the scoped rifle on the upper gantry? You can zoom in with that, and its scope allows you to see through predator cloak..

Madness, if an Alien is coming at you from the other side of a corridor, regardless of whether they're taking a direct route or leaping around from floor to ceiling, ADS would still be greatly beneficial in focusing your aim on them as they move towards you. It would help stop them from closing the gap and running circles around you to begin with, which is when ADS becomes useless.

It's all very well trying to push a more one on one combat style, but I don't think a Marine would come out well in a fist fight with an Alien. Just saying.

The way i see it, picking enemies off from range didn't happen in the films and shouldn't happen in the game. This isn't MW2 with the ability to kill something that's pixel size, the Alien(s) film's atmosphere is about mid-to-close range panicky fights.

However, you could always find a sniper rifle and use that for long range, then switch (D-Pad) to the pulse rifle for mid-short range.

Which version is everyone planning on buying? I really dislike buying overpriced special editions with their useless tacky tat, but since it comes with two extra maps I'm afraid I will be missing out if the majority of the Rllmuk AvP scene does have those maps and will be playing on them regularly... :angry:

By the end of last nights games, I was no longer scared of

f the aliens and would actively run around trying to find them, as block/counter pretty much nails them. There needs to be a way to break out of the one shot kills, though. And marines need one too. A bullet to the head or knife to the gut, perhaps?

Oh, and the special edition is 4 extra maps.

Which version is everyone planning on buying? I really dislike buying overpriced special editions with their useless tacky tat, but since it comes with two extra maps I'm afraid I will be missing out if the majority of the Rllmuk AvP scene does have those maps and will be playing on them regularly... :angry:

I will not be getting the special edition- those maps will probably end up as paid dlc for everyone after a little while anyway

I hate this new practice of different versions of a game being released. I do not consider things like MP maps should be reserved for 'special editions' because I feel like I'm being penalised for buying the standard version (which most people will buy anyway).

And the availability of several maps from the day of release is especially insulting. Fair enough, release a map pack later in a few months, but knowing that I've got to fork out more money on the day I buy the damn game makes me not want to buy it in the first place (see Mass Effect 2). What's the point in touting off the wonderful multiplayer aspect if the content it's designed to play in isn't there!!

I know I just have to accept this money-grabbing technique used nowadays but it still pisses me off. This wasn't happening a few years ago when developers would released extras for free as a bloody incentive to keep you playing until the sequel.

Rant over.

Fair enough, release a map pack later in a few months, but knowing that I've got to fork out more money on the day I buy the damn game makes me not want to buy it in the first place (see Mass Effect 2).

All the ME2 DLC is free so long as you buy a new copy. Which logically you would be if you were buying it on the day of release.

Not sure how I feel about this game yet. I like what I've played, but I can't stand free-for-all in any game and the stealth killing mechanic just exacerbates things; I think it would work a lot better in a team environment as then you'd (hopefully) have people watching your back making it a much rarer, more risky move by your enemy.

Which version is everyone planning on buying? I really dislike buying overpriced special editions with their useless tacky tat, but since it comes with two extra maps I'm afraid I will be missing out if the majority of the Rllmuk AvP scene does have those maps and will be playing on them regularly... :unsure:

To answer your question I'll now be hunting for a copy of the standard edition for as cheap as possible (£34.73 so far) then buying the poxy DLC maps. If both add up to more than £40 then I'll leave it.

You guys are right, I should not even be considering the special edition since I don't like the tat and dislike over-sized boxes that don't fit neatly with all the other 360 games on the shelf. It was only for the extra maps that I even brought it up, but Uzi is probably right and they will be made available as DLC at some point. I'd much rather buy them that way than be stuck with stuff I don't need or want :)

Not sure how I feel about this game yet. I like what I've played, but I can't stand free-for-all in any game and the stealth killing mechanic just exacerbates things; I think it would work a lot better in a team environment as then you'd (hopefully) have people watching your back making it a much rarer, more risky move by your enemy.

You should've been there last night! When working together it does indeed work a lot better, be it as marines covering each others' backs or as Xenomorphs hunting in packs (and yes that is as awesome as it sounds) The rllmuk scene for this will be immense, I can tell from my extensive playtime on the demo (played it more than any other demo I can remember :unsure: ) that this will be a unique experience with fellow forumites - and no randoms - on multiplayer modes that recreate the tension of the films best (and that's not free-for-all deathmatch like in the demo)

:D

As such, you can't really compare this to a game like Modern Warfare 2. It's more of an action game than a shooter, heavily focused on playing the role of your race in the right way. When it clicks, it's much more exciting than mindlessly firing bullets at other players.

I wouldn't call MW2 mindless. There is strategy and teamwork to be found in that as well, just as there is a huge amount of variety. Playing as a ripper is completely different than playing a sniper, for example. The one thing good MW2 players don't do is mindless firing bullets at other players. They study the radar, anticipate enemies, flank them... When it truly works it has no equal.

That said, I quite like the AvP demo, even though I still haven't quite mastered it yet. Or to put it another way: I still suck at it. I still think the map is way too small, but I like the gameplay, especially when you're playing the alien. Lovely mechanics.

I need to sink more time in it, but it's definitely promising stuff.

I wouldn't call MW2 mindless. There is strategy and teamwork to be found in that as well, just as there is a huge amount of variety. Playing as a ripper is completely different than playing a sniper, for example. The one thing good MW2 players don't do is mindless firing bullets at other players. They study the radar, anticipate enemies, flank them... When it truly works it has no equal.

That said, I quite like the AvP demo, even though I still haven't quite mastered it yet. Or to put it another way: I still suck at it. I still think the map is way too small, but I like the gameplay, especially when you're playing the alien. Lovely mechanics.

I need to sink more time in it, but it's definitely promising stuff.

It's funny talking about MW2 as I adored COD4 and played it for at least a year but playing MW2 has just left me completely cold. No idea why though, I think it's all the care package stuff to be honest. I'd like it a lot more if Infinity Ward had a few guns only playlists. But even then I'm not sure if it would hold my attention plus I'm not sure if IW would even consider that, they probably don't like the thought of people wanting to play their game without care packages. It's probably why I like AvP so much to be honest, it's so different and unique it just has a great appeal you won't find in any other game really.

As for the extra maps I'll be getting the cheapest standard edition possible and then buying the maps as DLC when they appear. You won't need them straight away and I'm guessing most of the community won't have them so.....it won't make any difference.

I hardly ever play with care packages. I take it you mean the kill streak rewards? :unsure:

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread. There's plenty of room for good games and it always itches me a little when people need to downplay something else to back something they love. AvP can stand on its own two alien feet. :)

The way i see it, picking enemies off from range didn't happen in the films and shouldn't happen in the game. This isn't MW2 with the ability to kill something that's pixel size, the Alien(s) film's atmosphere is about mid-to-close range panicky fights.

However, you could always find a sniper rifle and use that for long range, then switch (D-Pad) to the pulse rifle for mid-short range.

Spraying bullets at the aliens at point-blank range didn't work out too well for those members of the squad who did it though. Hand-to-hand combat with the aliens didn't happen in the film, but I've yet to see anyone complain about that (I'm referring to Aliens here, as far as I'm concerned Alien3, Resurrection, and the AvP movies don't exist).

Anyway when I made the remark to which Linkster replied, I wasn't suggesting sniper-style picking them off from miles away, but if I spot an Alien on the other side of the room because it strays into the light, I ought to be able to take a more accurate shot at it, rather than hip-firing, giving it the opportunity to escape.

If I was Hicks, that's what I'd do. Hudson, maybe not so much :unsure:

PC players will have far less issue with it than console players, because it's much easier to aim with a mouse than a thumb-stick.

Honestly as the speed the aliens move, even in a straight direction, I don't think you'd be able to keep up on ADS unless you ramped up the sensitivity to proper high. Hip fire lets you cover that much more screen space that it works, but after being a marine in the demo quite a bit, I don't think ADS would work very well.

To echo the sentiments of many in the thread, the matches we had last night on the 360 version were fantastic indeed. Once that team dynamic came into play, the game transformed right before our eyes. The mindless fragfest pace slowed down and the tension went up. When this game is beefed up with 18 players and all those juicy game modes, this thing is going to get awesome.

The aforementioned slower pace really hammered home, as Fazz rightly points out, that this ain't no shooter. I personally get very definite Splinter Cell MP vibes from it. There's multiple layers in the gameplay that I think many gamers just aren't going to see with the current demo but that's a point that's been made ad infinitum.

One thing that did occur to me though as how the left bumper is pretty much unused (blocking aside) when playing the marine and it would be prime for a 180 degree quick turn manoeuvre. Perhaps limit it's execution with some kind of stamina system so a player can't spam it. Or even use a "gun jamming" mechanic on it so that if a marine uses it too much in a short space of time, they literally fall over and become vulnerable. Not sure what that would do to balance though but it would certainly make Aliens and Preds more cautious about spamming Insta-kills on marines. Just a random thought anyway.

As for what version I'll be getting, I agree that paying £15-20 more for the extra maps in the special editions is a bit below the pale but then I factor in that I'm a hypocrite and already have the Hunter Edition pre-ordered. I'm fully prepared for that facehugger model to be shite but it will look pretty cool on my desk I suppose.

Also, Marine + Smartgun = Death.

I hardly ever play with care packages. I take it you mean the kill streaks? :unsure:

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread. There's plenty of room for good games and it always itches me a little when people need to downplay something else to back something they love. AvP can stand on its own two alien feet. :)

Yeah I've been rolling my eyes a bit at constantly comparing it to MW2, like the evil king it is that must be overthrown or something. They're very different games.

I hardly ever play with care packages. I take it you mean the kill streaks? :D

Aye, just having death rain down upon you as I love playing Ground War and Domination and you get spanked constantly :unsure: I've nothing against MW2 at all and wish I loved it as much as I did COD4, my attention is just terrible when it comes to games for whatever reason. I don't see it as some sort of king to overthrow at all though as that's just silly. Just saying that for whatever reason AvP is the first multiplayer game in a while to really grab my attention, that's all really :)

If I had to make a complaint about the demo is that every sod seems to want to be the predator, you have to be really quick in trying to select them :)

Yeah I've been rolling my eyes a bit at constantly comparing it to MW2, like the evil king it is that must be overthrown or something. They're very different games.

It's got guns in it and it's an FPS and that's all some people need because, and I may have mentioned this in passing, people are fucking thick cunts.

Honestly as the speed the aliens move, even in a straight direction, I don't think you'd be able to keep up on ADS unless you ramped up the sensitivity to proper high. Hip fire lets you cover that much more screen space that it works, but after being a marine in the demo quite a bit, I don't think ADS would work very well.

Oh I agree that it wouldn't be used all the time. But if you're a marine, who spots an alien about to leap onto your buddy and kill him, would you want to hip-fire or ADS? Targeting the bastards whilst moving would be tough, which would be right, otherwise it would be a snipe-fest. I just feel the marine lacks that ability to be a bit more surgical - having the ADS as an option to use in the right circumstances would just be nice.

Anyhoo, the game is how it is. It's good fun (what I've played of it so far) if a little hard for getting the hang of things because of the emphasis on close-combat. As far as I'm concered, Species Team Deathmatch, Infestation and Survivor are going to be where it's at for me - I never play free-for-all in any online game.

Just nipped over to Giant Bomb and spotted they've done a Quick Look of the demo.

Man, that guy is reeeally bad. :)

Another slight niggle...I only realised you could move the CCTV cameras when I tried using the pad (PC version), but if you're not using the pad, the only way to move them is with the arrow keys. Not really important, but it'd be better on WASD or mouse surely? :unsure:

Still wondering how you block as the Marine with M&K...

Edit: He didn't use the focus jump ONCE as the pred?? He's playing each species exactly the same, i.e. running mindlessly around the map in circles mashing attack...so wrong. :D

Its still not clicked with me yet.

I so want it too but I havent had that exciting rewarding feeling that games like L4D and the obvious MW2 give. That hook that keeps you there for hours. I know it's my incompetence with the system, and as mentioned by a few people I personally dont play free for all deathmatch games either

I have no doubt about the team based stuff, and really hope they could be the next counterstrike on the addiction front.

Team Deathmatch, surely? That's the big one these days.

I picked this up, was getting pissed off i was being shot at by my own kind and screaming over chat to stop the team killing.... then realised it was FFA. :unsure: This really needed to be team deathmatch. I was ready to give up but I like a challenge so im going to give the blocking and countering a go and see where i get with it.

Dammit...people are starting to get good at this now, particularly with the pred. Losing badly impairs your enjoyment somewhat. :unsure:

I find I have a better time when there's only 2-4, so yeah, the map is too small for 8. You're sometimes dead before you can switch your lamp off.