New Aliens Vs Predator game!

samgrice

Fucking brilliant games again tonight. It's SO on between Fazz and me :angry: (<- multiple interpretations possible here)

Definite purchase for me, especially knowing this is just a very limited demo. Would've been nice if the matchmaking options were better though, being allowed to have just 7 players in a group before entering a group is just silly.

Welcome to the world of Call Of Duty style matchmaking! :lol:

I'm assuming that in the full game we can simply do private matches with 16 forumites on big maps and bypass matchmaking completely. Oh man this is going to be so epic once we get our hands on the proper multiplayer modes :wub:

Going through all the trouble to arrange improvised team deathmatch games was totally worth it though, we had some awesome games there. What I didn't like was that one time where my 9 kill streak was abruptly ended by a fellow Alien who of course was that one random guy Linkster forced on us and who wasn't much of a team player :angry: Also, one other time I was like up on a 10 kill streak and the match ended because the one random guy quit ;) Other than that it was all good. I suck really bad as the Predator but I know that going through the single player Predator campaign in the full game will fix that.

Oh and I had some excellent moments with the Alien teams, at certain points we were like a unified killing machine constantly working together to take down our prey. Hearing the marine in question shouting "oh fuck me not another Alien! And another - aaargh" will never get old :(

Oh and I had some excellent moments with the Alien teams, at certain points we were like a unified killing machine constantly working together to take down our prey. Hearing the marine in question shouting "oh fuck me not another Alien! And another - aaargh" will never get old :angry:

This. Come to think of it, pretty much the closest thing to a game experience of the movie (Aliens, mostly) I've ever played. In versus multiplayer! ;)

"They're coming out of the walls!" (Which, in fact, we kind of were...)

The weapons are shite, apart from the pulse rifle. I don't bother picking up anything else. The shotgun is naff, the flamethrower is useless and the smart gun isn't so smart. ;)

didn;t find the scoped rifle then eh? :angry:

Pulse rifle is where it's at though; in SP it's pistol all the way

Guys, given matchmaking hell the decision to disable browse, create match et al for the demo seems like the worst idea in history, am so sorry, was never meant to be like this

No problem man, my complaint wasn't 100% serious I was mostly just having a laugh going "Linkster! :angry: "

Yeah it was kinda disappointing that we weren't able to simply go in with a group of 8 and had to allow at least one random, but it's just a demo after all. I'm completely sold on this game and I'm definitely there on day 1 and I can't wait to try out all the multiplayer modes! :wub:

Despite all the problems with the demo, at the end of the day it seems like you guys made a fucking brilliant game and for that I can only say: ;)

Edit: oh and you can also chalk this up to experience for the inevitable AvP2 - I expect the demo for that one to be far better :lol:

This. Come to think of it, pretty much the closest thing to a game experience of the movie (Aliens, mostly) I've ever played. In versus multiplayer! :angry:

"They're coming out of the walls!" (Which, in fact, we kind of were...)

See now you're coming around to my way of thinking

Guys, given matchmaking hell the decision to disable browse, create match et al for the demo seems like the worst idea in history, am so sorry, was never meant to be like this

Given that you've let us know every step of the way what's going on and that you've taken various things on board, I'd say that it's not a big deal. We are but a small part of the interwebs, but you've provided more information and support to us than anything I've ever seen, so :angry: to you, Sir.

Hmm, I really think the marine needs a crouch function. If only to give him better accuracy and reduce the recoil on the pulse rifle.

Trying to shoot things with that gun at even mid-range is nigh-on impossible, especially when your target is a quick-moving alien.

See now you're coming around to my way of thinking

Don't worry, I was already convinced a lot earlier ;)

I've only seen parts of the Alien movies (going to watch all over the upcoming days), but I mostly remember the epic battle scene with that legendary quote in the second movie. We really had a brilliant moment in the demo tonight which was pretty much exactly like that.

As such, you can't really compare this to a game like Modern Warfare 2. It's more of an action game than a shooter, heavily focused on playing the role of your race in the right way. When it clicks, it's much more exciting than mindlessly firing bullets at other players.

I feel privileged to have already experienced more parts of the multiplayer mode in the full game, with the other game types, maps and options :angry: This game can get quite big, especially around here.

Bloody hell, almost four hours playing this demo tonight! Shame we couldn't get everyone into the lobby but it all bodes well for 16 player games in the full game, it really is going to be great! So much shouting, cursing, team work, revenge kills, laughter......and fun!

So far being a Predator hasn't clicked with me because I need a bit of space to figure out the weapons without being killed all the time, so I've been focussing only on being Marines or Aliens. Aliens is my favourite because I'm not getting half as disorientated now and can smoothly chase enemies whilst traversing walls and ceilings. Killing Marines is very easy with about 2 slashes, unless the Marine knows how to block/counter, in which case frontal attacks suddenly become very hard and you then find yourself in a very vulnerable position. Playing as a Marine is really tough (I haven't succeeded in doing one block/counter yet) and I'm constantly being nobbled from behind, but it's great having two very different ways of playing the game. I want to master the Marine and the Predator but have a feeling that won't completely happen until I play the single player game and practice the moves. At the moment there are some very skilled players being Predators & Aliens, and are having rich pickings of the players still figuring out the movements but in a few months time, when everyone has played through the single player as all three species, then I think we're going to see a very different tempo of gameplay.

Fucking brilliant games again tonight. It's SO on between Fazz and me :angry: (<- multiple interpretations possible here)

HA! For all my bluster I have a permanant grin on my face. We work well as a team because we're always letting each other know what's going on but when we're on different sides and you're tearing me a new one time after time I just wanna hunt you down and shoot you repeatedly your fat Alien face. ;)

I've had more success online with the marine than any other FPS. Seriously, I've never topped the tables in anything, and with the Pulse Rifle I was on fire. I cannot repeat myself enough about the block and counter attack move. Linkster mentioned there's a way around Xeno and Predator heavy attack which I've forgotten, but when they come in with a light attack, and you block and counter they are utterly defenseless.

Course you prolly already know this so sorry for banging on about it, I just don't see the problem with the Pulse Rifle. Shotgun? It's rubbish and slow. Smart gun? Doesn't stop me from being shafted. Flamer? Oh dear god, get out. Shotty Sniper? Good fun, but no use against quick moving targets for me, as I suck at leading. Also, learn the grenade spawn points, hilarity ensues :angry:

Those of us that say the smartgun is useless and "not that smart" - what are you on? It tracks just like the AvP classic smartgun, it blows anything it locks on to into goddamn smithereens and the only problem with it is that there's fuck all ammo.
I was about to spoil part of the joy of Survivor for you. but I just can't do it. spoiler tags just scream READ ME!!1!!!

I've had more success online with the marine than any other FPS. Seriously, I've never topped the tables in anything, and with the Pulse Rifle I was on fire. I cannot repeat myself enough about the block and counter attack move. Linkster mentioned there's a way around Xeno and Predator heavy attack which I've forgotten, but when they come in with a light attack, and you block and counter they are utterly defenseless.

Course you prolly already know this so sorry for banging on about it, I just don't see the problem with the Pulse Rifle. Shotgun? It's rubbish and slow. Smart gun? Doesn't stop me from being shafted. Flamer? Oh dear god, get out. Shotty Sniper? Good fun, but no use against quick moving targets for me, as I suck at leading. Also, learn the grenade spawn points, hilarity ensues :angry:

Defeating heavy attack is simply a case of letting off a light attack at the right moment,works like a block/counter. You can tell those who have been playing a while cos they will avoid legging up to you with a light attack screaming COUNTER ME instead either focus jumping at you or using a heavy feint during which they wind up a heavy attack only to quit out with light and surprise you. course that's the point of rock scissors paper ...

Aye, that's it. I haven't got that down yet, I keep getting shafted by heavy attacks. I'll be honest though, I think this clever counter system is going to be beyond some people, they just aren't going to figure it out and may lead them to thinking the combats shit which would be a damn shame. Saying that, plenty of people today seemed to be blocking and countering.

Aye, that's it. I haven't got that down yet, I keep getting shafted by heavy attacks. I'll be honest though, I think this clever counter system is going to be beyond some people, they just aren't going to figure it out and may lead them to thinking the combats shit which would be a damn shame. Saying that, plenty of people today seemed to be blocking and countering.

I heard that so many times during development I just lost count, but fuckit cant make games for other people - when the guys got this system online for the first time just knew it felt right, and trust me it was a lot harder to pull off than it is now. (In single player you get button prompts to block/counter, on anything less than Hard). Still remains immensely satisfying, that's got to be a good thing. Especially against a human. Oh yes.

I'm not sure about the guns yet. If an Alien/Predator is pretty close they still kill me with two slashes even though I appear to be pumping bullet after bullet into them, this goes for the pulse rifle and the smart gun. This makes me think that when and enemy is within five feet of you then you have to resort to block/counter/melee. However I did take down one Predator reasonable quickly from about 10ft away by hitting him in the head. Does it take less shots if aimed at the head? The pulse rifle's barrel flash also obscures your view quite a bit, but then again it all adds to the wonderful panic feeling.

The smart gun IS good from distance but pretty useless up close because the enemies movements appear to be unaffected. I died a few times tonight using one up close and each time I was, "wtf, I should definitely have killed you".

The few grenades I've found haven't been used by me effectively at all, it'll take a bit of practice to distance + trajectory (tough when you only have two).

I've used the shotgun effectively sometimes but on others it still takes me about five shots to take an enemy down (I concede that I could have missed on a couple of shots), and again, maybe head-shotting brings them down quicker.

The flame thrower needs more beef to it. At the moment it just feels like I'm waving a massive torch around saying, "Come and kill me"

Oh and in the final game of the whole night I suddenly discover that I can change to another weapon using the D-Pad rather than just running out of ammo and dieing trying to find new gun :angry:

I'm not sure about the guns yet. If an Alien/Predator is pretty close they still kill me with two slashes even though I appear to be pumping bullet after bullet into them, this goes for the pulse rifle and the smart gun. This makes me think that when and enemy is within five feet of you then you have to resort to block/counter/melee. However I did take down one Predator reasonable quickly from about 10ft away by hitting him in the head. Does it take less shots if aimed at the head? The pulse rifle's barrel flash also obscures your view quite a bit, but then again it all adds to the wonderful panic feeling.

The smart gun IS good from distance but pretty useless up close because the enemies movements appear to be unaffected. I died a few times tonight using one up close and each time I was, "wtf, I should definitely have killed you".

The few grenades I've found haven't been used by me effectively at all, it'll take a bit of practice to distance + trajectory (tough when you only have two).

I've used the shotgun effectively sometimes but on others it still takes me about five shots to take an enemy down (I concede that I could have missed on a couple of shots), and again, maybe head-shotting brings them down quicker.

The flame thrower needs more beef to it. At the moment it just feels like I'm waving a massive torch around saying, "Come and kill me"

Oh and in the final game of the whole night I suddenly discover that I can change to another weapon using the D-Pad rather than just running out of ammo and dieing trying to find new gun :angry:

This is quite correct, the combat system is based around ensuring the majority of the time what you are fighting is in your face and you have to react accordingly. Sometimes you want to block and counter just so you can reload.

It's not that I can't get on with the way the Marine plays and controls, it's just that I keep getting slashed from behind (not always with the quick time event kill) by Aliens and Predators. Although you can shoot, they can lunge in various ways.

Aside from that, agility is always my main priority when selecting a character - hence the Alien :angry:

I'm assuming that in the full game we can simply do private matches with 16 forumites on big maps and bypass matchmaking completely. Oh man this is going to be so epic once we get our hands on the proper multiplayer modes :lol:

Going through all the trouble to arrange improvised team deathmatch games was totally worth it though, we had some awesome games there. What I didn't like was that one time where my 9 kill streak was abruptly ended by a fellow Alien who of course was that one random guy Linkster forced on us and who wasn't much of a team player :angry: Also, one other time I was like up on a 10 kill streak and the match ended because the one random guy quit ;) Other than that it was all good. I suck really bad as the Predator but I know that going through the single player Predator campaign in the full game will fix that.

Oh and I had some excellent moments with the Alien teams, at certain points we were like a unified killing machine constantly working together to take down our prey. Hearing the marine in question shouting "oh fuck me not another Alien! And another - aaargh" will never get old :(

You weren't laughing when you got countered and then shot in the face :wub:

Would I be right in assuming that for the marine since there's only one melee that then acts as both the counter button for light attack and the interrupt button for heavy attack ? Bit of a pain in the arse when you alien bastards are on the roof trying to hit marines with your bleedin tail!

Grenades are very much a tactical advantage and nice to have. I especially love it when a predator thinks they've finally got you for melee and you then grenade them in the face, hah weren't expecting that fucker were you!

Y'know what it is - I realised that we've been looking at this game all wrong - or at least I and most of the people kicking-it in various online locations have been...

We've all been waiting for the new AvP - we've all been waiting for 'that' assault rifle noise and 'that' motion tracker and all that Xeno goodness - but what we've actually gotten is a different beast to the game in our heads.

Zeno Clash or Dark Messiah have touched on this idea but an FPS which majors on close combat hasn't really taken off - at least not MP in a big way - but here we have it.

This is going to take some getting used to - FPS/MP players are used to running around and firing BIG guns (or sneaking around and firing smaller ones) - they are NOT used to countering/blocking and adapting to close-combat stuff at all - and I for one can't wait to take advantage of that :angry:

The demo really has been an "Avatar Day" like event tho - people didn't know what to expect and what they're seeing is a tiny part of the whole, with a few warts and issues, and they're extrapolating that into a bigger whole - and that's a real shame.

Still - it's their loss IMO

Y'know what it is - I realised that we've been looking at this game all wrong - or at least I and most of the people kicking-it in various online locations have been...

We've all been waiting for the new AvP - we've all been waiting for 'that' assault rifle noise and 'that' motion tracker and all that Xeno goodness - but what we've actually gotten is a different beast to the game in our heads.

Zeno Clash or Dark Messiah have touched on this idea but an FPS which majors on close combat hasn't really taken off - at least not MP in a big way - but here we have it.

This is going to take some getting used to - FPS/MP players are used to running around and firing BIG guns (or sneaking around and firing smaller ones) - they are NOT used to countering/blocking and adapting to close-combat stuff at all - and I for one can't wait to take advantage of that :angry:

The demo really has been an "Avatar Day" like event tho - people didn't know what to expect and what they're seeing is a tiny part of the whole, with a few warts and issues, and they're extrapolating that into a bigger whole - and that's a real shame.

Still - it's their loss IMO

I think that's the reason why I am really enjoying it. I love anything with melee combat, Condemned 2 being my personal favourite and the game I consider being the best at melee first person fighting (single player, multiplayer - ooooh dear) As you said though because most people aren't expecting that it's all of a sudden 'shit' When you start explaining about counters and blocks etc most people go 'huh ?'

I'm looking forward to having many games with many of you good folk in 2 weeks time ;)

I reckon the majority of the players around here does enjoy this though, seeing the enthusiasm during online play and the constant positive remarks next to what's mostly technical issues.

Like I said: one can't compare this to Modern Warfare 2, or any 'standard' shooter for that matter. It's more of an action game with elements from the shooting, fighting and even platforming genres. As a whole, it's a lovely blend that actually works! It may not be perfect, but like you indicated this concept is somewhat of an undiscovered area.

Rllmuk aside though, I also know quite some people who just don't see how this concept works - ironically, most of them play MW2 and MAG :angry:

I see this got a 5.75 out of 10 from Game Informer magazine. I laughed at the part where the reviewer complains about the motion trackers constant pulsing/bleeping ruining the tension...................

There's a scan out there for anyone wanting to take a look (not sure if scans are allowed to be posted here)

I see this got a 5.75 out of 10 from Game Informer magazine. I laughed at the part where the reviewer complains about the motion trackers constant pulsing/bleeping ruining the tension...................

There's a scan out there for anyone wanting to take a look (not sure if scans are allowed to be posted here)

Not what you want to read first thing in tne morning ...

For embargo reasons obviously I've kept my mouth shut but FYI the lowest score from UK, Europe or US I've been made aware of so far is 79%. 8 and 9 has been the norm, that I know of.

Part of me isn't surprised about this, we've had no insight into how the game's been promoted in the US, e.g. have they even played the MP (there'd need to have been a special event organised for the purpose). Rather suspicious there isn't even a mention of Survivor. Hmm.

In a sense am glad at least the demo was out before this hit but yeah, that's extraordinarily harsh.

EDIT fucking hell just read the text :angry: "the worst thing about the alien is it can run on walls".

Had to be the first review out the door. Just had to be.

:angry:;):lol::wub::(:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The AvP-Galaxy thread is amazing though ( http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?t...27642#msg627642 ), sounds like half of them have written to the mag slagging the reviewer off.

It is disheartening to read a bad review but after so many inaccuracies and the fact he doesn't actually seem to have played half the game I would hope it's the worst review the game is going to get.

(edit - made the link work)