New Aliens Vs Predator game!

samgrice

A question: The 'special' edition comes with extra maps, right? But will these maps be available to purchase over XBL as well? Seems a bit shit segregating the community like that, really. Also, £15 extra for a steel case and a couple of extra maps? You're having a laugh tbh!

I too would like to know if those extra maps can also be purchased from the marketplace. I don't give a fuck about tacky special editions, but it would be a shame if the community would get segregated like that that from day one. Any info, Linkster?

Finally got a game just then - amazingly it runs! There's some serious lag time on mouse movements that you gotta get used to though, not convinced by that.

When it finally got going, even though I got raped by every bugger on there, it was really good fun. Running around the walls as an alien isn't half sickening though and the wall climbing mechanic, the way you jump from place to place is tricky to get the hang of too. Especially because the ceilings are quite intricate, so you end up facing every which way when running across an otherwise straight ceiling just because there's a beam in the way.

Hope the issue gets sorted but overall 2 thumbs up. If only I could buy it. :hat:

@Gerbik, Moosegrinder - PC version here i'm afraid. :wub:

I also have the PC version of the demo and dare I suggest using the 360 controller (supported, controls exactly the same as in the 360 version) when playing as the Alien?? I understand playing as the marine with kb+m but since the Xenomorph is all about smoothly navigating intricate environments, jumping from surface to surface, and generally remaining undetected until you're close enough for the kill... isn't the precise control of an analogue stick preferable to WASD? And since the Xeno is also all about melee, aren't two shoulder buttons preferable to a cumbersome keyboard? Just a suggestion :hat:

So ... on Steam, when you connect, and it takes you to the 'creating group' screen, and then dumps you in a lobby on your own, is it best to disconnect and reconnect, and hope it eventually puts you in a lobby with other people? Every single time it makes me the group leader, in a group on my own, and it never adds people to the game. I realise it's fucked and linkster and team are generously working on it, but just wondered what the best way of getting around the problem is until it's sorted.

So ... on Steam, when you connect, and it takes you to the 'creating group' screen, and then dumps you in a lobby on your own, is it best to disconnect and reconnect, and hope it eventually puts you in a lobby with other people? Every single time it makes me the group leader, in a group on my own, and it never adds people to the game. I realise it's fucked and linkster and team are generously working on it, but just wondered what the best way of getting around the problem is until it's sorted.

apparently there is, Steam forums has a sticky, will post details (putting something together for SEGA now)

Oh I see! Well, whatever is transition, hold it at all times and tap when you want to drop :wub:

I'd find it hard to use the sprint button at the same time though. If you want to kill anything, you gotta sprint nearly always.

I'm actually ditching the transition button. I use space instead and if you want to climb a wall, jump at it when the reticle has the three lines. :hat:

Love the pulse rifle sounds when you're peppering a Predator...satisfying stuff. For some reason they throw up a cloud of turquoise mist when they die. ;)

Loving the fact that southpaw is supported on the PS3 version, but why on earth did the dev decide to swap the actions of the buttons too? So if you need to play like me you'll need to use L2 for primary fire and R2 for secondary, which is so counter intuitive it's not funny.

Why couldn't they just swap the sticks over and leave everything else? It probably sounds so trivial to the majority but it's a deal breaker to me.

30 mins to kill so I had a noodle about to check that I had UPNP enabled and I even tried putting the PC into the DMZ

Didn't seem to make any difference to the chances of getting a game - the best solution seems to be to enter, wait 45 secs and if you don't have a lobby, backout and try again.

Of course when you do make it into the game you have the random person who was selected to host's latency to deal with - so far I think the least amusing event has been being killed by an Alien who was 30' away (or not - depending on your version of reality) - and I don't think I've yet played in a game where I didn't get some warping or stutterly movement on my own behalf (first time as a Marine it felt like I had lead boots!!)

It's brought back memories if nothing else - of FPS's online on the Dreamcast with their US server enormolag.

I imagine when it is working it might be fun but as I said earlier, relying on randoms for both a fun game and a stable host is - erm - well it's foolish to say the least - this is a demo to play with your mates only I think (asssuming you or one of them has a solid connection!!)

Have you seen these?

Predator hunt -

Infestation -

:hat:

My excitement level just took another adrenaline surge, both of those modes are going to be fantastic to play with friends. Infestation mode reminds me of playing British Bulldogs as a kid.

Sooo after rebinding my movement keys to my preferred layout I've discovered that moving 'forward' (in this case the E key) makes me go diagonally left? What's that all about..!!?

Oh and why haven't they made it so that you can CHOOSE the amount of players you want to play against!? We spent a fun 30 mins of our lunch break scrambling to find 8 people in the office to play the game with cos trying to find a online game was a total non starter...

I'm well pleased that the Alien is essentially Sam Fisher on all fours. Disabling lights, hanging from the ceiling, keeping to the shadows and playing it stealthy nets a fuckton of satisfying kills. I'm finding the new melee system is also a great addition. I didn't quite know what I was doing initially but now that I'm aware of how, when and where to use the various manoeuvres, it is paying off dividends and making close quarters a blast.

Obviously the new AvP MP isn't going to be to everyones taste but I can't help but feel a lot of the disgruntled folk elsewhere on the internet are indignantly putting the boot in because it simply isn't precisely the game they wanted it to be. Just flat out refusing to assess the game on its own merits. I can also see a lot of the MW2 crowd being thrown off kilter at how different this plays.

For what it's worth Linkster, from my experiences on the demo, I think you guys have done a terrific job.

:hat:

My excitement level just took another adrenaline surge, both of those modes are going to be fantastic to play with friends. Infestation mode reminds me of playing British Bulldogs as a kid.

U just nailed it there fazz my mate Norty Mart from Sony said the same thing the other day.

Fuck, I don't know how they even started to approach the balancing here. Played as marine and predator so far, died a lot, mostly via being munched by an alien.

Is the marine not at a disadvantage at all times, especially in the darK?

Hard to see how things are fair...

Will try as an alien.

Fuck, I don't know how they even started to approach the balancing here. Played as marine and predator so far, died a lot, mostly via being munched by an alien.

Is the marine not at a disadvantage at all times, especially in the darK?

Hard to see how things are fair...

Will try as an alien.

Block & counter are your friends, as is the motion tracker. If those fail, grab the smartgun and let rock ;0

After winning the last 3 of 4 and coming second in the last, I'm a llittle worried about the balance myself. Not to put too fine a point on it, I'm shit. I'm rubbish at games in general (even though I've been playing them since I was 4) but I'm flattening everything as the Xeno. Now, it's not been out a day, so it's hard to say what's going to become of it as we'll have to wait for people to learn to play, but the in the right hands, the Xeno is fucking ridiculous.

On the flip side, the guy who beat me on the last game was Marine.

I guess only time will tell, and there's only X amount of classes allowed per game. Are you tracking the stats of the demo somehow, Linkster?

Weapons don't quite have the kick I was hoping for (apart from the flame thrower which is awesome). I haven't managed to "lock on" yet as an Alien - Do you have to be on the same surface or really close? I found that Aliens sometimes stand up to attack me and they tend to have an advantage. Predetor's mines just seem to confuse situations a bit and the instant kill animation is a bit too long. I would suggest making it a bit quicker and weakening Aliens in frontal combat but strengthening their hit from behind.