New Aliens Vs Predator game!

samgrice

Have you actually seen the film Starship Troopers? EDF isn't really what I had in mind. The Ant Lions sections in Half Life 2 are a better comparison but it'd be great if someone took the over the top stupidity of EDF and put that feel into a FPS.

There's actually a mod level pack for Half Life 2 which is very Starship Troopers inspired, you are defending a base against hundreds and hundreds of Antlions, with your buddies. It's epic, I really recommend it (if your computer can handle that much going on!). Can't remember the name but it should be easy to find.

I thought EDF captured the swarms of enemies and chaos of battle that Starship Troopers had. But you're right, the game doesn't feature Michael Ironside and isn't directed by Paul Verhovenvenven. I apologise for my erroneous comparison and hope we can put this sorry episode behind us.

I forgive you, +1 for realising the error of your ways.

Starship Troopers though is a perfect template for a video game and I would expect the licence would be cheap to obtain. It's been done... bad, bad reviews though. Oh dear.

They should have sunk all their time into making a really good and long campaign where you find yourself as a marine in the midst of an all out war between the predators and aliens. Playing as a marine, panicking at every twang of your motion tracker, firing blindly in panic captures the fear of the films. The game would have been much stronger if it had just concentrated on the one faction and had all the other shit kicking off around you. Much better.

I dunno about that, one of the best parts of the original AVP was being the Alien, for me at least. Space marines in videogames are ten a penny, but perfect biological killing machines capable of sticking to any surface and eating people's faces off with an extendable mouth? Not so much. If I'm honest, I was looking forward to the Alien campaign most of all when this was announced. Shame the whole thing turned out to be a great big satchel of average-to-awful.

Imagine a game set around the original Alien, where one player plays as the xeno and the other players as the Nostromo's crew. A similar sort of set up to The Ship would work well I think, the human players could be set various tasks to achieve whilst the alien has to pick them off one by one. For added lolz, one of the humans could be randomly selected to be an android working on behalf of the company, sabotaging the efforts of the humans and attempting to trap the alien. Mai Dreem Gaem.

• 2 years later...

Bump Mc Bumpington!

Upon discovering that Colonial Marines is a pile o' crap I'm thinking of picking this up on the Super Cheap! Mukkers with both games, how do they compare? Also, have the last couple of years been kind to AvP or is my £6 better spend on A) A packet of Mayfair or B) A bottle of plonk from Home bargains to watch Arsenal v Bayern tonight :hat:

I bought a copy of playtrade last week for £3.90 delivered , 360 version. It's better than I remembered, love the Marine Campaign though it is criminally short. The first 2 levels are brilliant though.

Also fuck some of those achievements. That last Marine level on Nightmare difficulty makes Mile High Club look like a walk in the park

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...