New Aliens Vs Predator game!

samgrice

Wow, they must be starting Colonial Marines over from scratch - it was nearly finished, last I heard.

Heard from where? I mean, in 2007, they said it was due before the end of 2008. It got a brief showing on the Jace Hall show about 6 months ago. Are Gearbox taking the piss or are they sidelining its full scale development in order to focus on Borderlands? Which when you think about it, are pretty much the same thing.

Wait a sec, forget 2007 .... if you check back the original news came out in late 2006.

Man, is there any light at the end of this tunnel ?!

Heard from where? I mean, in 2007, they said it was due before the end of 2008. It got a brief showing on the Jace Hall show about 6 months ago. Are Gearbox taking the piss or are they sidelining its full scale development in order to focus on Borderlands? Which when you think about it, are pretty much the same thing.

Wait a sec, forget 2007 .... if you check back the original news came out in late 2006.

Man, is there any light at the end of this tunnel ?!

A leaked internal memo written by Corrine Yu

Which, funnily enough, suggests borderlands is near completion too. Maybe she's referring to a particular aspect of their design ("programming", most likely), but I doubt it.

EDIT: And keep in mind this was August last YEAR.

What's in that memo: nothing but spin. Given how little info there really is in what she wrote, I'm surprised a big fuss was made about it being leaked.

As for Corrine, is it just me or does it strike you that Microsoft didn't fully do their homework when they recruited her?

Being at Gearbox, working with the the Unreal 3 engine .... but then despite this, (cos lets face it, other studios were able to haul ass with it) Brothers in Arms arrives at least 18 months later than planned. Before that she was the lead programmer of the Prey engine, which was a massively delayed project and finally resorted to licensing the id Tech 4 engine. And even before that, she was at Ion Storm, where they licensed the original Unreal and also the Quake 2 engine.

Based on this, what ever Halo game Microsoft make themselves .... don't expect it to be an untroubled, on schedule project.

What's in that memo: nothing but spin. Given how little info there really is in what she wrote, I'm surprised a big fuss was made about it being leaked.

As for Corrine, is it just me or does it strike you that Microsoft didn't fully do their homework when they recruited her?

Being at Gearbox, working with the the Unreal 3 engine .... but then despite this, (cos lets face it, other studios were able to haul ass with it) Brothers in Arms arrives at least 18 months later than planned. Before that she was the lead programmer of the Prey engine, which was a massively delayed project and finally resorted to licensing the id Tech 4 engine. And even before that, she was at Ion Storm, where they licensed the original Unreal and also the Quake 2 engine.

Based on this, what ever Halo game Microsoft make themselves .... don't expect it to be an untroubled, on schedule project.

Spin? What's she spinning? Where are you getting "spin" from? As for the Halo stuff, I couldn't care less - all I did was post the article supporting my point.

Whilst I would love to say 'WOW BRILLIANT!' Rebellion have a very spotty record. They've churned out some absolute shite in their time and their latest release in Shellshock 2 doesn't seem to exactly be in the top tier of shooters either. They have however also done some gems, most notably the original AvP, but nothing's for certain. Of course I can't wait and wish it to be fucking brilliant so here's hoping that's what happens.

Spin? What's she spinning? Where are you getting "spin" from? As for the Halo stuff, I couldn't care less - all I did was post the article supporting my point.

I'm just commenting on the spin, regarding the progress of the various projects at Gearbox. Looking back at this, do you think what see wrote rings true, given that ACM may not ship until 2010.

I mean you'd imagine SEGA cannot be happy with Gearbox, given the delays on this. Is this just project mis-management, or is there some Aliens movie or TV project in the works, that could debut in 2010? Because if it is the latter, this degree of delay to ensure there's cross over marketing .... does make some sense.

Gearbox have been trying to turn BIA into a TV project, based off the game assets. Given the success of some LA production companies using Unreal Engine for TV animation (the original GoW TV ad being a prime example), maybe some deal has been struck to make a proper Aliens TV series using CG. Only pooling from the same art assets and animation rigs used by the game team.

Yes, this is MASSIVELY reading between the lines, but IF this is in progress ..... man do I hope HBO's commissioning it.

Given that FOX own the IP, probably not.

Frankly I think MS would be batshit insane to allow Gearbox anywhere near Halo, which coming from the company that brought you the Zune means that's probably what they'll do.

I can't think of a more capable dev for the franchise at the moment.

Noooo :) I wants me some Alien-universe RPGing.

No offence, but just how is an RPG of the Aliens universe EVER going to be good?

An SRPG I can see, because you could make something a bit like Space Hulk - but a regular RPG? It's not like the characters in Aliens get more powerful as the films go on.

What WOULD be nice though is an Aliens title that isn't an FPS. One of my favourite games of the franchise was that 2D scrolling beat-em up they did, that was pretty amazing.

Rebellion have done some awesome shit.

I think Sam Grice works for rebellion, if he does check this game idea I came up with:

You're this guy who can travel through time doing stuff. You travel through time and kill hitler, but hitler doesn't die. The rest of the game you're travelling through time after hitler trying to 'make' him die. It's a puzzle game.

I've got loads of ideas like this, PM me for details.

• 2 months later...