IGNORED

Valentine's meal at home

hobo

I'm making Japanese:

Sushi (with smoked salmon cos I don't trust Waitrose fish to be fresh enough given we're about as far away from the sea as you can get)

Chawan Mushi (savoury set custard)

Some kind of beef/veg stir-fry thing (haven't decided what yet)

Miso soup (homemade now I've finally got hold of dashi and wakame)

And I'm going to have a go at making some of those bean-paste sweets if I can find a decent recipe. And all accompanied by enormous cans of Sapporo.

We never go out on Valentine's day any more, it's a thoroughly depressing experience - all set menus and surrounded by other people who are out for exactly the same reason. Yawn...

I'm planning on going the surf and turf route. The last time I did this it was a winner - I left the prawns to marinate in some soy sauce, tabasco, worcestor sauce and garlic, then fried them up in the juices of the steaks.

I was thinking of doing something along the same lines, but using soy and rice wine vinegar for the marinade. That should give them quite a sweet flavour, which I hope would complement the nicely seasoned steak.

That's an idea, we both love teriyaki. I've never used mirin before, but I'm guessing it's just like using rice wine?

Indeed it is. It is rice wine, but with lower alcohol content than sake, plus it has sugar in it already.

We are both out on separate nights out so will be hungover. Plus we don't 'do' Valentines day, no cards or tat, its great! I have volunteered to make Sirloins with a black pepper & mustard creamy sauce, Homemade chips and some undecided greens. Some Beaujolais & a 2 hour episode of Poirot, WHOOT!

I want to do those little Greek feta and mint filo triangles as a starter. Not much of an idea what to do as a main course though. My wife's vegetarian but veggie mousakka or spanakopita don't especially appeal. Not that it needs to be a greek style main course mind you, but I'm not sure what else to do..

• 1 year later...

Thread resurrection! I think for the day itself we'll be having a night in so as to avoid expensive, over-crowded restaurants, and going out for a meal on another night.

So, what sort of things are people making this year? I'm looking for a bit of inspiration, we're a bit limited in that I'm gluten intolerant and he's got a milk allergy :facepalm: but it's only really actual milk that seems to give him the most grief.

I'm currently looking at doing sirloin medallions with pickled girolles, roasted garlic, and a horseradish cream sauce. Other courses as yet undecided. I've got the day off to prep, and the Mrs doesn't know, so I'm looking forward to a fun day of cooking.

If I had another half, without a doubt I'd stick a chocolate dessert with a gooey centre in there. Points for effort plus everyone loves chocolate :)

Plus chocolate ice-cream, but I wouldn't make that myself obviously...

Hmmph, lonelyness!

• 3 weeks later...

Bolognese sauce is ticking over as I type, early impressions are extremely favourable. I'm starting with mozerella, vine tomato and rocket salad with homemade olive, basil and rocket tapenade dressing. Fresh pineapple to finish simply cut into wafer thin strips and dressed with fresh mint and chilli sugar.