Retro Computer TV Show/Documentaries/etc Thread

stefmcd

• 3 weeks later...

I've just rewatched it. I saw it first time round but was doing something else at the time I think so didn't watch it properly. I seem to remember it got slated on here at the time but I think it's a great little film that really captures the spirit of the times. I'm not a huge fan of either but Alexander Armstrong is brilliant in it and Martin Freeman is very good.

I've just rewatched it. I saw it first time round but was doing something else at the time I think so didn't watch it properly. I seem to remember it got slated on here at the time but I think it's a great little film that really captures the spirit of the times. I'm not a huge fan of either but Alexander Armstrong is brilliant in it and Martin Freeman is very good.

I suspect you remember wrong...

• 4 months later...

100 Yen is alright, but it's no Chasing Ghosts, or Special When Lit. While I think the thing it lacks most is personalities, it has plenty of problems in other areas too.

It bounces around quite a bit without any solid structure, and throws out quite a few statements that aren't really backed up by anything. Most of the rest of it is Old News to anyone remotely interested in arcade culture and history, but as a documentary for anyone I was disappointed with how little time they spent on the evolution of it. It kind of just goes Space Invaders happened and then - DANMAKU!!!

Probably worth a watch on a rental, but I doubt I'll revisit it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just need to know one thing about it before I watch it:

Does it subtitle everything between English and Japanese (like it does in the trailer?) Because that's so bloody distracting, Half the point of watching it will be to see what's on-screen, not wonder if you should be reading the subtitles as it blindly jumps between languages!

Only the Japanese is subtitled, but it makes up the bulk of the spoken language in the film. It's actually quite detrimental, because the Japanese is mostly being spoken over the footage of games and arcades, which of course means you miss most of what's being shown. It would have benefited from the interviews sticking to talking heads and having the narrator speaking his parts in English over the other footage, or indeed a translated voiceover.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

This just showed up in the usual places - 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/historys-game-changers-inside-video-game-wars-director-talks-human-thread-gaming-doc-1218737

Oscar winner Daniel Jung says his latest film covers "the sweet spot for my video game life."

With a history spanning over half a century, the video game industry has grown significantly from its humble beginnings of Pong and Atari. 

Oscar winner Daniel Jung's latest documentary, Game Changers: Inside the Video Game Wars, premieres on History on Sunday night, telling the story of the video game industry's early successes, failures, rivalries and lawsuits between gaming giants such as Atari, Nintendo, Sega and Sony.

Featuring new interviews with Atari co-founder Nolan Bushnell; former head of Nintendo of America, Howard Lincoln; and former head of Sega of America, Tom Kalinske, the doc tells, in chronological order, how the gaming industry went from arcades to consoles to one of the biggest grossers in entertainment

• 1 year later...

Just finished watching Pretending I'm A Superman: The Tony Hawk Video Game Story which came out this week. Doesn't go perhaps as much in-depth into the development side of things as may have been expected, but it's still a fantastic retrospective of the series and confirmation about how much it influenced music and pop culture, as well as the skating scene and skaters who featured in the games.

Absolutely love the first 4 THPS games so it was right up my alley. The games and soundtracks were definitely a huge part of my formative years and I still certainly count them as some of my favourite games of all time. Definitely welled up a little bit hearing this acoustic version of Superman by Mike Herrera (who fairly recently became Goldfinger's bassist but is perhaps better known as lead singer for MxPx) at the end as well:

Worth dropping a few quid to watch.

Watching that makes me feel really old. It's presented like this ancient history, a moment in pop culture. And yet I remember the first time playing THPS at uni, HORSE mode with my housemate who was miles better than me. Plus how it was the Call Of Duty of its time, grinding them out every year well past their use=by date.

So I guess something I remember as being just more games is now 'legacy'. This is what happens when you get to getting on for 50, I suppose.

I see Netflix have a new series called “High Score” available.

I’ve not watched it yet, but it’s getting very mixed reviews. 

Not retro gaming related, but it’ll likely interest many of you here is “Inside Bill’s Brain”; a three part Netflix series about Bill Gates. It’s a good mix of covering the past and what he’s doing now. I really, really enjoyed it.